Aion Released!

Let’s talk about the released version, shall we? :)

Does anyone know of a really good fan website for the game? NCSoft’s wiki offering is terrible. I would love not to go the Curse.com affiliated site, but will if that really is the best one.

I’m really enjoying it so far, more than I thought I would. There are a number of things I like about the interface, like the way it automatically moves me into within range of a mob that I’m trying to cast Ice Chain on.

I’m only 9th level, and am on the west coast server that begins with a K. The chat is godawful, but there’s no queues on the server so far.

What are people playing? I have a mage of course, which I will turn into a Spirit Master.

I have a level 12(I got in before the line on the first day) Gladiator using a halberd.

I dont know of a wiki, or really what the statistics mean(I know what strength does- but does it work on percentages, or damage = strength-armor).

+12 accuracy? well I have 380 accuracy on my sword… and it seems to be going fine, so I guess a 3% increase in it couldnt help too much.

also this site: http://na.aiononline.com/livestatus/server/?serverID=1 contains server statistics, which will be interesting once it updates again, for it gives percentages of each class played.

Biggest problem I have so far is the swath of player character vendors, trying to sell overpriced goods to the masses. Who would possibly buy 90 aria for 90 million dollars? and who would have that money?

eurogamer review out

A streamlined, structured, gorgeous grind, an addictive and even rewarding grind if you’re that way inclined, but a grind nonetheless. An ultimately grim and unvarying pursuit. A string of key-presses, in the same endlessly repeating sequence, reaching to the moon and back. 2, 2, 3, 3, 5, 2, 3, 4, 5…

1 2 3 1 1 1.

It’s a trick to stay logged in and avoid the queue.

Been playing a Templar. Re-rolled it because for some reason my temps skin turned a strange color(no, it wasn’t some the game did this it just turned blue). Plus I wanted to re-roll for chuckles.

Having fun though.

Trying to add my serial code to the web site (box showed up today) but ug, it’s dreadfully slow.

Funny thing yesterday were the overly dramatic whiners complaining about queues. Some reported 3-5 hour queues.
I chose the server that start with Ish… or something. Had maybe a 5 minute queue and then hours of Aion fun.

Stubborn folks insisted on playing on a specific server with no thought to try a lower pop one and then bitch about queues. Seems kind asilly to me.

If that’s the server your guild is on, that’s the only one worth playing on. Doesn’t seem asilly to me at all.

I would point out that if Aion is like most other MMOs, the population on all servers will decrease drastically in a month or two, possibly leaving the mega queue servers with healthy populations, and the servers that are, on launch day, easy to get into, ghost towns.

Good thing you have no friends right? :P

Trying to figure out the low pop server and trying to coordinate all your friends to go there when everyone is anxious to play is not such a simple task.

Far Cry engine, yes?

Yes sir, highly upgraded however.

Regarding the Eurogamer review, he must have hated Batman and Halo 3. Batman consists of: A, A, B, A, A, A, A, B, B… Halo 3: RT…RB, RT…RB, RT…RB, X, RT…RB.

http://www.aionsource.com/ (the Curse affiliated one) is indeed the best site, at least in my opinion. Here’s some other blog type places that have good info also:

http://aioninsider.com/ (no relation to WowInsider)

I’m only 9th level, and am on the west coast server that begins with a K. The chat is godawful, but there’s no queues on the server so far.

That’s probably Kasiniel. The best thing to do is just leave the general chat, which you can do by right clicking the tab, going to tab options, and unclicking Channel 1.

I’m playing on Lumiel, which is an East Coast server but is also the unofficial RP server, so the general chat is actually pretty decent.

Very true. One thing that NCW did do well is they did their best to spread people out when they were originally making characters during pre-selection. They locked the servers and factions that had too high of a population (with factions, it was if one side was greater than 10%) which encouraged people to roll on other servers and/or factions. This has caused it so that there are server pop differences of only 1-2%, which is a good omen for a game that is, at it’s end game, PvP oriented.

I’m playing an Asmo Chanter on Lumiel. I’m actually surprised that Asmodians are the most popular race in this MMO, most people usually want to be the “good” guys.

As for the Eurogamer review, I agree with most of it. Aion’s PvE isn’t all that terribly compelling, but I’m not playing it for the PvE. I also laugh at the complaints about monotonous skills, as in Wow I spent a majority of my time hitting 2-3 keys in raiding. A lot of Aion’s complaints can be easily applied to Wow at this point in the game, but Blizzard is still a bit more skillful at hiding the grind, because they are the masters of PvE.

Again, I will tell people that if you like DAoC, you will likely like Aion. :)

I’ve got a free preorder collector’s edition, but I seem to be totally unable to actually download the client, and it refused to let me connect on my beta client. Wonder what’s going on.

Either you just got lucky at the time you were logged in or only adults picked Asmodean. Chat has been terrible on Lumiel on Elios side.

Why are people surprised by this? I generally always see evil being more popular. I guess WoW might be an exception cause the kids couldn’t roll a scantily clad chick as evil initially.

The amount of kids playing this game is a bit of a turn off for me. I get the feeling that games like Warhammer had a much higher ratio of adults. I’m not sure if that’s true but that’s the feeling I get from reading chat.

Every MMO I’ve played that has factions has had overpopulation on the “good” side, which is why it surprised me.

On servers I’ve played on in various games, good guys (or humans) have always outnumbered everything else. In DAoC, Albion was the favorite. In WoW, Alliance. I’m not saying it’s the case for every server in every game ever, but it’s been pretty consistent for me.

I do get a kick out of people who choose RP servers because they’re “more mature”, as I haven’t ever found that to be the case. Of the five WoW servers I played on, the two RP servers seemed to be the worst ones. Also anecdotal, people who play Alliance in WoW seem about 80% more likely to pick awful/ridiculous/stupid names. (It’s a pet peeve of mine.) Nothing kills my fun in an MMO faster than seeing (or grouping with) some dude named Dingleberry or Peteshuntard.

There are no ‘mature’ WoW servers. WoW is a cesspit. In non-WoW servers, however, you frequently find a better culture and maturity level on RP servers, so long as you can put up with people RPing in zone chat and staying in-character in parties. You’ll also find plenty of channers and goons going out of their way to grief the RP servers and RPers in as spectacular a way as possible, of course, because nothing gets them harder than tears, but that still usually leaves things less obnoxious than the average on a normal barrens-chat chuck norrisified server.

This thread needs more posts! I’m busily talking myself into/out-of buying this game, and I have been all morning. I mean, I’m sure I’ll cave and buy it when I get home, but if you guys could talk up how great the game is, I won’t feel so guilty about doing it.

Then there’s Warhammer where most people prefer Destruction. And it’s overwhelmingly favoring evil in Aion even though there’s not much of a difference between the two sides. I’m not sure we can conclusively prove anything based on what we’ve seen in existing mmos.

I am, for reasons far beyond rational explanation, also thinking about buying this. Is the collector’s edition worth the extra $10? I can’t really evaluate the additions, and while extra flying time sounds kind of sexy, it seems like it’s an item that grants that ability, so maybe it’s not worth it if it’s just going to be replaced.

It’s worth it for the wing upgrade, which I think saves you like 1 million kinah.