Civilization VI

Here we go! October 21st!

Brad (Wardell) called it earlier this year. Impressive.

Those screenshots look great!

It looks exactly like the last Civ game I bought - I wonder if there is any reason to get this one?

Sounds like there are some changes.

Civilization VI offers new ways to engage with your world: cities now physically expand across the map, active research in technology and culture unlocks new potential, and competing leaders will pursue their own agendas based on their historical traits as you race for one of five ways to achieve victory in the game.

EXPANSIVE EMPIRES:
See the marvels of your empire spread across the map like never before. Each city spans multiple tiles so you can custom build your cities to take full advantage of the local terrain.

ACTIVE RESEARCH:
Unlock boosts that speed your civilization’s progress through history. To advance more quickly, use your units to actively explore, develop your environment, and discover new cultures.

DYNAMIC DIPLOMACY:
Interactions with other civilizations change over the course of the game, from primitive first interactions where conflict is a fact of life, to late game alliances and negotiations.

COMBINED ARMS:
Expanding on the “one unit per tile” design, support units can now be embedded with other units, like anti-tank support with infantry, or a warrior with settlers. Similar units can also be combined to form powerful “Corps” units.

ENHANCED MULTIPLAYER:
In addition to traditional multiplayer modes, cooperate and compete with your friends in a wide variety of situations all designed to be easily completed in a single session.

A CIV FOR ALL PLAYERS:
Civilization VI provides veteran players new ways to build and tune their civilization for the greatest chance of success. New tutorial systems introduce new players to the underlying concepts so they can easily get started.

Expanding on the “one unit per tile” design, support units can now be embedded with other units, like anti-tank support with infantry, or a warrior with settlers. Similar units can also be combined to form powerful “Corps” units.

So, the combat will still utterly destroy the late game.

A lot of people did, including myself.

And maybe there’s something wrong with me, but right now I’m not excited about Civ VI at all. Maybe Endless Legend ruined all other civ-like 4X games for me?

I sure hope Artificial Intelligence is included as one of the features this time around!

DAY ON— Wait up, is that a mobile game? Art looks terrible.

day one

Seems like they copied the city tile stuff from Endless Legend. :p

Still will probably get this, but not until a few reviews are out. :)

Oh this is perfect.

1. I hand in my thesis.
  2. I go to QT3
  3. I see this thread.

Excellent.

Beyond Earth 2: The Pre-Sequel

Well I’M excited, the even-numbered installments have been my faves.

I really enjoyed what Ed Beach did as the lead designer on the expansions to V. Looking forward to seeing what he does with VI!

THIS!

I recently downloaded the Community patch project after reading that they had made wonderful strides in the AI department.

Plus the fact the Beyond Earth was a steaming turd. I have very little confidence in this game.

Perhaps that will change as we approach release but unless the AI is a major focus, ill pass.

How are the wonderful strides?

Interesting development. Feels like it wasn’t all that long ago that I was pouring 150 hours into Civ V. . .

Well this made my day. After putting 500 hours into Civ V, I’m definitely ready for a new one.

I’m glad they’re sticking with the one unit per tile design because I enjoyed it a lot more than the stacks of doom. Only problem was the lackluster AI, which can (hopefully) be improved upon.

So psyched. :D

Well, if Sean Bean is in, I guess I can keep an open mind.

The cities expanding onto the map seems like a thing perhaps inspired by Endless Legend. The changes to the 1-unit-per-tile system sound, on the face of it, not too dissimilar to what Call to Power did with stacks, and it seems to build on what they were doing with Civilization Revolution.

I’m liking the art style, too. The Steam forums, though – sheesh. “Looks like a crappy F2P cartoony game” and more along those lines…