Comixology Unlimited (Recommendations, etc)

Has anybody tried out Comixology Unlimited? It’s comixology’s subscription service, 5.99 for all-you-can-read of selected titles.

I tried it out because I haven’t really read comics in forever, and knew of a lot of stuff that I’d heard good things about but never bothered to track down. The day I signed up, It didn’t work for me at all, I couldn’t get it to realize I had an account, so when I clicked on a book I would ostensibly borrow, it just kept redirecting me to the sign up page.

Checked in again a week later, and it mostly seems to work now. Eligible titles have a little “Unlimited” banner on the cover, and when you open it, in addition to buying there’s a “borrow” option, which I assume is available as as you’re subscribed.

The selection so far seems…OK. There’s some good titles, but it’s mostly limited to the first X issues or the first one or two volumes of the trade paperback compilations, so you’re unlikely to get a good long satisfying story run, even for older stuff. Now, that might also just be so that they have stuff they can add over time without blowing out the initial offering, but it sounds like only ever offering the first volume or arc in a series might be their long term plan to get you to convert on spending more to get the rest of the story. For instance, only the first couple of volumes of Irredeemable were available, whereas the whole thing was in a humble bundle a couple of months back, so it’s clearly already in long tail sales status already.

Some stuff that I read. People said all this stuff was good,a and they’re not wrong, but this gives a sense of what’s available and in what quantity:
Wicked + Divine, Vol 1
The Boys, Vol 1 and 2
Hellboy, Vol 1-3, Baltimore. Vol 1, Witchfinder, Vol 1: All Mignola’s stuff is pretty similar, if you like one, you’ll like them all.
Sex Criminals Vol 1
Umbrella Academy Vol 1 (this wasn’t particularly good)
Saga Vol 1
Red Sonja Vol 1 (this was fine, I guess)

Some terrible stuff that’s also there:
Lots of Fathom.
Like 8 issues of Tarot, Witch of the Black Rose

I got a free month, and I will probably stick around long enough to pay for a month or two for the value I already got, but I don’t see myself sticking around long term as a subscriber. What I really wanted was a way to cheaply read outstanding older titles (really, I just wanted to read old Hellboy and Powers arcs I missed), basically “pay 6 bucks to have a friend with a huge comic collection”, but I doubt I’ll stick around if it’s just a first one free business model.

Yeah, having a delay between something coming out and it entering Unlimited would be entirely expected - I think Marvel’s is at least 6 months. But just having a few issues or one volume of a cross section of stuff has no value to me. I want to be able to follow the story to its conclusion. I’m okay with waiting (I usually wait for trades at a minimum), but I want to get there eventually. That’s why I haven’t bothered so far. If it turns out they’re expanding it at a decent rate maybe then.

Oh that’s too bad Irredeemable is quite good.

Is Locke&Key available under unlimited? That was excellent. How about Preacher?

Oh, that reminds me of my other gripe, which is that there doesn’t seem to be a good way to search and see what’s available on Unlimited. The app has a Unlimited page, which is like the what’s new/Recommendations/genre breakdown front page of Comixology, but there doesn’t seem to be a way to just get an alphabetical listing of all Unlimited titles.

If you search for a specific title, it will have the Unlimited banner, but otherwise if it isn’t featured there doesn’t seem to be a way to find things. That reinforces the idea that this is really a demo/trial program in disguise: if you know what you want, you can try it out, but it’s not really for browsers.

It’s totally a demo programme. When I was researching it, the only book I was interested in that had anything remotely close to a comprehensive archive was Atomic Robo. I’m sure it’s a coincidence that it’s now a free webcomic.

On the other hand, almost everything has its first TPB available. Clearly they intend people to use this as a way to sample books which they will then go on to buy, rather than tho binge on a particular series. It does raise the question of who on earth would keep a subscription for more than a month at a time though.

The first volume of Locke & Key. Not Preacher.

That was my impression of the selection when I took a quick look at it. A paid intro, rather than what you get with Kindle Unlimited, which usually has complete book series rather than only the first volume.

That said, six bucks or a free 30 days to try a bunch of titles to see if you like any is hardly a ripoff.