Cool stuff about Discourse

Here’s a few of the most-recent ones I made before some unpleasant mods sort of caused me to drift away from the practice!

Vietnamese-Inspired Pork Loin Banh Mi

Butter Chicken, Chana Masala, and Bhatura

Aloo Muttar, Kheema Muttar, Aloo-Gobi Muttar, Vegetable Pakoras, and Basmati Rice

Fully-Stocked Taco Bar (Shredded Chipotle Chicken, Mexican-style Black Beans, Cilantro-Lime Rice, Sauteed Veggies, and Guacamole)

Why is it that some of the more recent threads can’t be found, yet my “latest” view is showing stuff from like 6 months ago?

What do you call more recent, and what do you mean by can’t be found?

Wendelius

For instance, I was trying to find the “When are the Next Generation of GPU’s going to drop?” thread, which was pretty active right up until the transfer, and it wasn’t on the first page, I had to use the search function to find it. Where there are threads that haven’t had a reply in 20 days that can be found with a light scroll downward.

Awesome, thanks! Oh my god, I’m so hungry now.

I also love the fact that you can see how many people have clicked links.

I think you’re in the wrong thread, Jon.

Take a look over here:

I also love the way that you can enable desktop notifications from Discourse. I’m an avid fan of Pushbullet so that kind of functionality is awesome.

huh. Now I want to google this. That’s pretty fucked up of me, I’d say.

When looking at a list of topics, click the indicated button to bulk-change notification level.

Edit: I guess it’s an admin/mod tool. Nevermind.

I don’t see that button.

Embedding Tweets could be better. Not sure if it’s an option but XenForo handles this much cleaner from what I’ve seen.

Twitter seems pretty easy to me, just pasted in the link and it showed up as you see here. What else were you thinking it should do?

Yeah, that looks perfectly attractive and useful to me.

It’s scrapes the image or video in the Tweet. In instances where you are linking the Tweet because of the video or image it’s less than ideal.

For example
Discourse

Vs Xenforo

Ah, ok, I hadn’t tried a tweet with an image in it. Looks like Discourse is cool with text-only, but doesn’t do the multimedia tweet embed so well.

Huh. I guess it’s just an admin/mod thing. Most of the tools associated with it are mod tools. I guess the utility of changing the tracking on a few topics at once is not super high.

[quote=“Clay, post:54, topic:120094, full:true”]Huh. I guess it’s just an admin/mod thing. Most of the tools associated with it are mod tools. I guess the utility of changing the tracking on a few topics at once is not super high.
[/quote]

I was looking for a way to do just that especially with so many old threads popping up after the move. Too bad it is not available to the the regulars.

It looks like XenForo actually embeds twitter’s code in their page, while Discourse scrapes it.

Would be nice if Discourse scraped media too, though, agreed.

My team does a good amount of Twitter analysis at work. Per the Twitter terms of service, if you are linking to Tweets and/or embedding them on a site, you are required to run a compliance script to periodically check whether those tweets were deleted by the originating user. When a tweet is deleted, you are required to delete it, too. In that sense, XenForo is more in compliance with the Twitter TOS than Discourse.

Seems like a lot of overhead to me.

We have several compliance scripts running – even for the projects that use Gnip. It’s an insane amount of overhead, but required if you want to be legit about everything. I suppose from a legal perspective, Twitter (or a Twitter user) could conceivably file a lawsuit against you if you maintain a copy of a tweet after it was deleted and can’t show that you have a good faith effort process in place to remain compliant. I highly doubt that ever would happen, but technically speaking, it could.