Cool stuff about Discourse

Love the post preview, and have been used to that for years on other sites.
Search is a viable tool now.
I like that my partially finished post seems to shadow me around until I decide I really want to abandon it.
The unread section takes some getting used to but it does bring me to topics I would never find otherwise
Uploading pics is now easy without having to host it somewhere yourself (you never saw me post pics on the old site)
Sharing is easy too

I am looking at this post on my iPad and I can see the spoiler (using both mobile and desktop view). Is that because I wrote it? Or can everyone see it? @wumpus

I can see all the text in that line, but I could have sworn it was spoiler-blurred just a few hours ago! weird

Ah, thanks Armando forletting me know!

I haven’t tried the new forum on PC yet, but it looks much nicer than Tapatalk on my phone. Easier navigation too. So far so great.

It all seems very smooth to me. One place that I routinely stay (Jackson, WY) has slow internet. Qt3 runs a lot faster there with Discourse! :)

This transition is very easy for me!

I couldn’t care less is 10,000 people are glad they can edit titles. Like certain other things on this forum, that’s not their call. It’s mine. If it was up to me, posters wouldn’t be able to edit post titles after a discussion had progressed past a certain point.

I’ve explained why I’d like that feature, what my perspective is on it, and how it would help. All you’ve done is basically ignored most of what I’ve written so you can get in another slam at vBulletin. I mean, seriously, stop posturing for one second and let me ask you a question: You think vBulletin giving users the option to prevent editing of thread titles after a certain point equates being “badly written software”?

I feel strongly about a feature that you don’t offer. You have no desire to consider making it an option. We’re pretty much done here. In fact, we were pretty much done when we talked about this before the launch. It’s pretty poor form for you to bring it up again just so you can further discount my opinion, as if three people wanting a feature somehow vindicates you. Sheesh.

-Tom

Good to know. It would have been pretty stupid otherwise! But I still stand by the idea that a thread’s title shouldn’t belong to the person who started the thread. Once other people jump in, a thread’s title should be locked. Changes that affect multiple users should be limited to an admin.

For instance, why can’t users move their threads to other subforums? Why can’t users close threads? Why can’t users sticky threads? Certain thread management tools should be limited to admins. There should be options available for people with different opinions. For the most part, Discourse seems pretty good about this. But there are definite issues I’m having with inexplicable core philosophies. Avatars, for instance. Likes. User themes. I really like 95% of Discourse. The 5% that I don’t like often seems like a matter of bull-headed my-way-or-the-highway insistence. :(

-Tom

You broke nothing at all! You simply used a tool that Discourse won’t let me turn off. If it’s there for you to do, have at it!

-Tom

If you enjoy the Discourse experience, there’s a nomination here at CMS Critics for the Best Forum Software of 2016. Strangely NodeBB was selected as 2015 favourites and I’ve not heard of it.

You know that scene in Oz where the one inmate takes a dump on the other inmate’s face? That’s the relationship I have with vBulletin.

So the answer to your question is: yes.

Spoilers seem ok here (screenshot from iOS). Are you referring to expand style or blur style?

they actually can once they earn trust level 3

Move along, nothing to see here!

There are two types of spoilers: the spoiler type and the reveal type…

1. The spoiler type:

Nights into Dreams… is an action video game developed by Sonic Team and published by Sega for the Sega Saturn in 1996. The story follows two teenagers, Claris and Elliot, who enter a dream world called Nightopia where all dreams take place. With the help of Nights, they begin a journey to stop the evil ruler Wizeman from destroying Nightopia and consequently the real world. Nights flies through Claris and Elliot’s dreams, gathering energy to defeat Wizeman and save Nightopia. Development began soon after the release of Sonic & Knuckles in 1994, and was led by Sonic Team veterans Yuji Naka, Naoto Ohshima, and Takashi Iizuka.

1. The Reveal Type:
OMG You won't believe it!

Nights into Dreams… is an action video game developed by Sonic Team and published by Sega for the Sega Saturn in 1996. The story follows two teenagers, Claris and Elliot, who enter a dream world called Nightopia where all dreams take place. With the help of Nights, they begin a journey to stop the evil ruler Wizeman from destroying Nightopia and consequently the real world. Nights flies through Claris and Elliot’s dreams, gathering energy to defeat Wizeman and save Nightopia. Development began soon after the release of Sonic & Knuckles in 1994, and was led by Sonic Team veterans Yuji Naka, Naoto Ohshima, and Takashi Iizuka.

• Context, you have much better context when browsing through threads. Navigating replies and parent posts is easy.
  • Looks great on mobile
  • Hotkeys!

I like you can use two asterisks instead of the brackets, slashes, and lower case ‘b’ to make things bold.

Yeah. I can more or less port recipe posts I’ve made to reddit to Qt3 wholesale now (only downside is that there’s no “Reddit Enhancement Suite” for Discourse, so all my bare links to imgur images won’t auto-generate a click-to-reveal preview-image on here). Markdown for markup is a step up!

Point me towards your recipes Armando! I’m intrigued!

Here’s a few of the most-recent ones I made before some unpleasant mods sort of caused me to drift away from the practice!

Vietnamese-Inspired Pork Loin Banh Mi

Butter Chicken, Chana Masala, and Bhatura

Aloo Muttar, Kheema Muttar, Aloo-Gobi Muttar, Vegetable Pakoras, and Basmati Rice

Fully-Stocked Taco Bar (Shredded Chipotle Chicken, Mexican-style Black Beans, Cilantro-Lime Rice, Sauteed Veggies, and Guacamole)

Why is it that some of the more recent threads can’t be found, yet my “latest” view is showing stuff from like 6 months ago?