Diablo 2 resolution

Is Diablo 2 with LOD resolution still stuck at 800x600? I’m feeling the itech to re-install and play it through again if I could play at 1280x1024, largely because everything looks rather meh outside of non-native resolutions on my LCD.

800x600

You know, I really wonder how much more work it would have entailed making it scaleable.

If you have the latest NVIDIA drivers, you can at least set a custom profile for this game and put some of the card’s settings on high.

Thanks for the tip moggraider, but what precisely would that achieve?

16 x AF, 8 x AA in 800 x 600 glory?

Result: Instead of looking like crap in 800x600 it will look as Antialiased Crap with no jaggies in 800x600.

Seriously: Get a 14" monitor to play old games, they look like shit on 19< and above.

I recall Blizzard saying that they deliberately did not put in resolution options because a greater field of visibility would give Battle.net players with more powerful systems an unfair advantage…

Everyone and their grandma had a more powerfull than 800x600 system back then.

edit: Oh yea, 640x480… I HATED DIablo 2 because of that. I had expected DIablo 1 looking Better, but when it came out, it looked worse. Hated Hated Hated. Coupled with Battle.net being down. Spend a lot of time hacking characters/savegame and then left the game. :\ (and when I wanted to replay it, someone had stolen my cd’s… doh)…

Worst game purchase ever. :)

I recall the original D2 was 640x480 and someone hacked it to play at 800x600 before the expansion officially provided that resolution. Maybe D2 can be hacked to play at 1280x1024?

The problem is that diablo 2 is 2d. Sure you can strech and scale the sprites out to whatever resolution you want, but they look like crap. The only option would be for them to include higher res versions of the tiles for every resolution they want to support.

I like D2 just the way it is. Get offa my lawn!

The graphics weren’t changed or scaled for the step from 640x480 to 800x600, the expansion just showed more of the map. Which was actually very welcome since you no longer got shot at from beyond the screen, but you could sometimes bring monsters on the screen without them attacking you.

The problem was really that the monster activation radius was roughly 600 pixels… they couldn’t go higher without either changing the gameplay or else redesigning the graphics, as you said.

Well, I haven’t tried it myself with the game, so I don’t know exactly. But I did set custom settings for Guild Wars (maxing everything out) and it does look a wee bit nicer.

When I saw the thread title, I thought it’s content will be something like “I will never play Diablo 2 again! It ruined my life!”

I confess to being a little disappointed, not that I want your life to be ruined. But still. Couldn’t you ruin it just a little? For me?

Well, instant0 had his “worst game purchase ever!111!!” rant. Maybe that will satisfy your hunger for a little schadenfreude?

Lets hope so. :-)