God of War (ps3 version)--rope swinging Q

I’ve gotten to the end of the one street in God of War 1 (the high def version for PS3) soon after you’ve seen giant Ares in the distance, where you have to bust a barricade down, jump up and grab a rope, and swing. Here it is on youtube near the 8:40 mark:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZGOxaCLF7M&feature=related

Problem is, I can’t seem to grab the rope-- do I have to actively make a grab (circle) button press or is it supposed to happen automatically when I double jump? What am I missing?

Are you seeing the tutorial message on how to swing with the rope using Circle? You should be on the rope already by that point. I think you grab onto the rope automatically. Did you destroy the barriers before going for the rope?

Also, note that the jumping in GoW is not all that great. Experiment with how long you press Circle before pressing Circle again. You can’t double jump past a certain point, so you kind of have to press Circle then Circle again almost immediately, but don’t let go, because the second Circle press keeps you jumping as long as you keep it pressed. Meanwhile, you should be aligned with the rope and grab it.

The rope, apparently!

But yeah, you just jump at the rope to grab it. There really isn’t any sort of trick to it.

I finally got it, thanks for the replies. I was trying to grab it by standing under it and double jumping, and instead it works if you sort of run up to it and double jump (X X). Then you have to hold (O) to swing.

Search tells me this is the only God of War thread on the forums. So I will post here.

I bought the PS3 cobo pack in HD back in 2010 and then proceeded to let it age untill last week, I started up a game and 2 days have passed and I am just past the giant armored beast (seriously a fun boss fight) and approaching The Cliffs of Madness.

I have to say I’ve really enjoyed the puzzles, cut scenes and combat so far. The story is also very good, I can see why there have been 2 sequels.

Wait and see if you still feel that way after you’ve finished the second one.

In my opinion, God of War suffer more from…let’s call it “spectacle exhaustion” than any other game I’ve played. The novelty and visceral thrill fades, and there isn’t much left. I absolutely loved the first game, but by the end of the second I wanted nothing more to do with the series.