Green Room (2016) - Rocker Chekov vs Skinhead Picard

Trailer (red band):

From the director of Blue Ruin.

May see a screening of this on Monday.

— Alan

edit: not seeing it on Monday. Missed my chance. Ah well.

Was favorably §reviewed on the latest episode the the Flop House podcast. Sounds awesome.

I have tix for a Monday screening, but may have to miss it as well. Real life sucks. ;<

You have both made a terrible mistake.

-Tom

Sorry Tom…not reading your review (though I can tell you liked it). I did miss it.

It is listed as “expands” on this coming Friday (22) and goes “wide” the week after. Looking forward to it.

EDIT: I suspect it is going to do very well.

I know, I know…

— Alan

I finally got to see this and it is a very good movie. Lots of twists to keep you guessing. Very nice action.

There is a very obscure, subtle event in the film that most people probably would not get. I may have missed the overt mention of it, but I don’t recall seeing it. It has to do with the first song the band plays at “the gig”. The lead calls it a ‘cover’ when they are done.

For their first song of the set…

The band takes the stage and their first tune is this Dead Kennedys’ piece https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MkRuV0aCcI which explains some things you see in the film when they play it.
EDIT: I know the girl telegraphs they are going to do something, but it is never really explained - and maybe It is just me, but you have to read the lyrics when listening to these things on a first hearing - studio recorded version is much clear than what was played in the film imho

Alternatively, you can be a little bit hip to the Dead Kennedys. :) I thought it was pretty clear they were singing “Nazi Punks, Fuck Off”. But like Jeremy Saulnier, the writer and director, I went through a punk phase. Maybe it’s hard to hear the lyrics if you’re not accustomed to them.

-Tom

“You’ll be the first to go, you’ll be the first to go, you’ll be the first to go. Unless. You. Think.”

Dead Kennedys were just a wall of noise to me back in those days…it was more Madonna and Whitney. Gawd, I just confessed to something awful (actually, Whitney was a true talent).

It is alright, man. We all go through our pop stages before we discover the beauty and joy of punk. It is party of your journey. Don’t be ashamed of it.

Tell it to someone who gives a shit.

This forum needs a like button.

-Tom

“Madonna. Slayer.”

I saw this yesterday with a friend and as we’re walking out of the theater he realized he left his jacket. We both had the same thought and started laughing as I tried it shout not to go back for it.

I saw this Friday night, and got the DK reference (old-skool goth/punk/rivethead), but I’m pretty sure my date didn’t, hah. The crowd didn’t look too ‘skin’ to warrant them playing that song first thing, though.

The movie was pretty good. Intense, not too gory (i.e. gratuitous)- in fact, for both of us, the actual gore wasn’t as bad as them duct taping his arm closed. That’s gonna hurt coming off. You couldn’t wrap it in his shirt, first? : shudder:

The ending kind of felt unearned, but eh (all the bad guys just… left?). I liked the shot of the mohawk from the beginning vacuuming, though, and that made me connect the dots- he was waiting for the gal who got killed (starting the whole affair) and the dude with the fancy car that got the shotgun to the face. Hah.

I really, really liked this. I didn’t recognize Imogen Poots at all so that was a nice surprise to see her name in the credits as the character I liked the most. There were several times that I thought that Macon Blair was going to come to a bad end.

Yeah. Poots is starting to get a lot of work.

Starting to get a lot of work? Dude, her career took off quite nicely after it began with 28 Weeks Later. She’s had multiple projects every year for at least the last five years. Peter Bogdonavich chose her as the lead in his (godawful) movie. That you haven’t seen her movies doesn’t mean they aren’t “work”. :)

But, yeah, it’s good to see her getting more exposure. She’s really good. You guys did see Need for Speed, right? I am not at all joking.

-Tom

Well, I meant it in a momentum sense. Past 2 years have been really good and seem to be getting better. In that Roadies trailer, she is very prominently featured. Green Room performance shows she is willing to take on different roles. I hope the next tween-novel-trilogy-turned-into-5-films does not sweep her up and pigeon hole her.

I noticed you dodged the question as to whether you had seen Need for Speed. It’s okay, mok. You’re among friends.

-Tom

OMG. Can I finally come clean and admit I not only watched Need for Speed, in the theater, but enjoyed it thanks to Poots and Rami Malek?!