Guild Wars 2?

Does anyone have any information whether this is still in development? There hasn’t been any new information at all.

There used to be a GW developer posting here so I was hoping to at least get a clue whether it’s still happening or is it vaporware?

Since there is really nothing else that compares to GW in the market, I would really like to see a sequel or something similar coming out.

Official Wiki.

According to the wiki that they personally run, they’re in development but currently running dark, which is weird given the gargantuan ton of information they belched out when they got started, but so it goes and whatnot. Apparently an earnings report indicated that it would be out in 2010/1 timeframe.

NCsoft is focusing its publicity on Aion, which is due for its N. American/European release in late September. While it is possible that we may see some news come out of PAX, I think that PAX will see even more Aion hype. I won’t hold my breath for more GW2 news, and won’t expect to see anything until closer to 2010.

But does ArenaNet have anything to do with Aion? Why won’t they say anything? We were hearing a lot about GW2 initially and then the information just stopped, like they halted development or something.

ArenaNet has little to do with the development of Aion, which according to what I could find has existed for a while now, albeit only in Asian markets. However, they probably had to deal with a little bit of upset when three of their top dudes ended up running all of NCSoft West. I suspect that you might hear more after the release of Aion, but for now I’m guessing that the best business strategy for them is to focus attention on that game instead of distracting all those disaffected MMO consumers that they expect to capture with stories of how they’re making this other game that’s totally awesome but isn’t out yet. You want the consumers to buy into your new product and not wait for the next one.

Looks like they’ll be giving us an update real soon:

Hey all,

Last week I promised you’d get your first glimpse of Guild Wars 2 “very soon now”. That day is almost here.

I want to thank all our fans for their patience as we developed the game to the point where we can start talking about it publically. I know you’ve all been anxiously awaiting this moment. You’ll soon understand how ambitious we’ve been and what we’ve accomplished during these past two years of development. We still have a lot of work ahead of us, but from here on out we’ll be able to provide you with more regular updates.

Guild Wars 2 is going to be a huge leap beyond the original. We have the best team in the industry executing at the top of their game, and I’m very proud of what our team has accomplished so far. As I said last week, I’m confident that when you get your first look at what we’ve been working on, you’re going to love what you see. Stay tuned for an exciting week ahead.

–Mike O’Brien 20:31, 17 August 2009 (UTC)

Sure it’s a link to the dreadful Kotaku, but this was sent to me by a buddy of mine that’s on the team, with the note “I can finally talk about work again”

Edit: looks like it’s pretty much the same content as Shadari’s post above

It was the only MMO in development that could deliver something interesting. But the founders just left and it’s not a good sign at all.

Anyway, the MMO genre is already dead.

The founders of Arenanet didn’t leave. Jeff Strain who had left Arenanet more than a year ago to become President of Development at NCwest left NCwest. Mike O’brien who has been running Arenanet since then (and shared the duties with Jeff before that) is still running Arenanet. Jeff leaving has had zero impact on GW2.

I generally hate announcements about announcements but at least it looks like we will finally find out something.

Well, I’ll believe you since you aren’t the usual corporate PR. But I’ll remain skeptical for the sake of cynicism and usual MMO clusterfuck.

It is? Somebody tell that to the 11-12 million WoW players.

Oh HRose, you crazy troll you, we missed you!

Wow is dead to Hrose, therefore WoW players are dead to Hrose, therefore WoW players don’t exist anymore, therefore nobody plays MMOs anymore, therefore the MMO genre is dead.

QED, MOTHERFUCKER!

Genre dead meaning: no new ideas past WoW. The creative surge pre-WoW has been shot down. Post WoW just clones, failures and very bad games overall with no ambition.

WoW itself is trailing along empty of ideas, unchallenged. Not on the commercial level, nor on the conceptual level.

Lack of movement forward = genre dead in my own perception.

Is this more clear?

Don’t ever change, big guy!

It’s clear, but it’s ignorant. There has been a great deal of change within the game, and not just making one class stronger or weaker.

It doesn’t mean the change has been good change, necessarily, but to deny that there are things in WoW that haven’t been seen in a major MMO is delusional.

Note to board: trying to reason with him is futile, isn’t it?

All this talk of mmos and Guild Wars isn’t even a mmo, other than the city hubs (chat rooms) that is.

Nope, but it’s off topic in this thread and already done thousands of times.

In THIS context I was simply saying that I find the current MMO development scene desolating and that Guild Wars 2 was the only game on my radar that had the possibility to do something interesting.

I’m here simply to see what they have planned. The rest is irrelevant.

Guild Wars 2, however, kind of wants to be. It’s been a year and change since I heard anything, but before they were talking about large persistent community areas with hostile NPCs that you would fight and instances as dungeons. So, you know, WoW basically in that regard, which makes me wonder if they were listening to the right portion of their audience on that one, but I’m willing to give them the benefit of the doubt because the first one rocked my face.