Hey, how can I get Discourse to do X?

Yeah, I would probably have ended up with far more ignores if I ever went in P&R. But even in general discussion there are/were a couple folks I just did not want to interact with or hear from. I don’t presume nobody else did, though.

Yeah. The big problem with not having this in Discourse IMO is that it makes catching up on everything new a MUCH slower & more manual process. It makes me kind of dread having to walk through all the new threads if I haven’t been here in too many hours. And I REALLY don’t think that’s the intended design (right) ?

Diego

That is exactly me as well - its a chore, and thats not really how its meant to be, Im sure.

How do I get Discourse to make @stusser stop changing his avatar?

Just kidding, I don’t mind. Curious if he’s just indecisive, or trying to quietly push back against Discourse’s avatar-heavy layout though.

Stuck on conference calls all day, actually.

Here’s something fun for you people that like to poke technical things with a stick… Let’s say you get a URL from Discourse – pretty much any URL. Here’s one:

http://forum.quartertothree.com/t/hey-how-can-i-get-discourse-to-do-x/119996/146

Now, for fun, try adding .json to the end of that, so that it looks like:

http://forum.quartertothree.com/t/hey-how-can-i-get-discourse-to-do-x/119996/146.json

Voila – you can see the raw JSON that the server is returning to the JavaScript app that is Discourse.

I use roboform as my password manager. I was able to use it to log into the test discourse site on both iOS and my PC. It will not work on the official Qt3 site in iOS (it goes to the page and blinks but never logs in). Any thoughts as to the reason?

I have tried getting Safari to log into the site in iOS as an alternative bun I can not get thdat functionality to work either. Any help appreciated.

Is there any official reply on this? I ask largely because the options available (open up a series of tabs to view what’s new) kind of suck. The “new posts” stuff is cool if you’re only interested in viewing the stuff you’ve already expressed an interest in, but it misses anything new. “Latest” is just a scattershot approach, which might work if there was a way to indicate "reset latest and only track from here on out, but right now literally shows every.single.thread that was imported from the old boards. Since infinite scroll hides most of it from you, there’s no easy way to see how many threads are there, but latest just goes on, and on, and on, and doesn’t actually provide you with any way of knowing when you’ve gotten out of stuff that’s sort of new and in to stuff that’s just old and hasn’t been updated since the last time you read it – which then wastes your time as you open it.

I know I’m on record as disliking Discourse, and I don’t want to bitch about it any further, but is there an official answer as to whether there’s a way in Discourse to replicate one of the key features that was identified back when the migration discussion started as a feature of vbulletin that was important to have in Discourse?

EDIT: The “new” function would be great at this – identifying topics “when I haven’t viewed them yet” except that this ignores any topic you have seen but has been updated since you saw it – i.e. any thread you’ve read any part of, even if there have been multiple posts to it since then, gets ignored.

Doesn’t it work exactly the same as it worked on the old forum? If you’ve read the thread to the end already, it’s in a normal weight font. If you haven’t, it’s in bold.

How did you manage to mark all thread topics/posts as read? I’d love to start with a clean slate, if I could only figure out how.

IMHO, that should have been done during the migration. It’s possible to do if in the rails console in the Docker container, but not otherwise. Maybe we’ll figure out a better way. Until then, this topic on meta.discourse.org provides some insight into the design decisions around this.

How can I get the Discourse server to avoid crashing on a Tuesday night, 3 days into operational status…?

On the New/Updated pages there’s a dismiss button in the bottom right. I believe that resets the tracking.

[edit]But if you mean is there a way to get the topics to show up as grey (visited), I haven’t seen anything like that.

Apologies, @wumpus just asked me to have a look, it appears that our weekly “keep the database same” job may be at fault. There is just so much history here, it is having a hard time finishing without locking up the database.

Seeing what we can do here.

Is Qt3 the largest Discourse install?

No worries at all, and thanks for the help! Qt3 is large and contains multitudes.

No, but its up there. There are 4087498 posts here. Our tnation forum has 4.4 million. Activity wise we run forums that are 20x more active.

The pain point here is that we have a bunch of jobs that run through a huge number of old posts, this is taking forever on the digital ocean droplet. I will look at a way of adding some caps on weekly job so it totally bypasses ancient stuff.

i wish there was a way to select mute for threads on the New screen without having to open the thread to do so. For example, I know I am never going to read anything on baseball. Or do new topics fall of the new page on their own?

Correct, new topics can be dismissed from the new tab, or (by default) after 2 days they stop being considered new.

Thx, wumpus!