Hillary Clinton's running mate...you heard it here first

I would be fun to see Trump’s VP pick have to salute Clinton’s VP pick before a debate.

Posted this earlier in the Donald Trump thread :D, but Clinton will name her VP on Friday.
I’ve read elsewhere Vilsack may be the leading contender.
Boring picks, really, but you know after the horror show in Cleveland, boring is ok.

Vilsack did a lot of good things for Iowa. He is one of the most pro-green-energy politicians you will find in the country right now (he is realistic on ethanol’s problems, pushes for the development of plant matter-based ethanol instead and he drove Iowa to become the #1 producer of wind power). He also has done fun things like allowing felons to vote once they have completed their sentences.

There is a lot of hand-wringing about him because he’s an “old white guy”, but is that really a problem? The Dems have the minority and women’s votes pretty much in hand. The group they need to pull away from Trump, at least a little, is the OWG voting block.

Given the circumstances of this election, a moderate centrist VP pick is probably a good choice. Progressives might get pissed off, but it’s far more important to win the election.

The thing is after the shitshow that was the Republican convention- the only way Hillary loses is if the economic progressives stay home. This is the absolute worst strategy, as it will just piss off a crowd that already doesn’t like Hillary.

As for the military vote- most of the military folks I know are going Gary Johnson out of disgust at both candidates, with a few going for Hillary who are SJW-types. No one’s going for Trump, but that might be selection bias (Trump supporters are a group I wouldn’t have on facebook)

If progressives are myopic enough not to vote for Clinton because she chose Kaine or Vilsack, then we sorta deserve Trump (actually Pense, since it appears he’ll be President while Trump goes around the word making word salad speeches on how great he is.)

Look at it on Twitter you’ll see photos of Booker

If that means what I think it means, seems like quite the (somewhat pleasant) surprise.

I think Cory Booker’s a solid choice. Not my first pick, but someone I’d accept, and easily someone I’d want as President over Hillary.

AP reporting it’s Kaine.

NYT says it’s Kaine.

[quote]Hillary Clinton named Senator Tim Kaine of Virginia to be her running mate Friday, according to a senior campaign official, selecting a battleground state politician with working-class roots and a fluency in Spanish, traits that she believes can bolster her chances to defeat Donald J. Trump in November.

Mrs. Clinton’s choice came after her advisers spent months poring over potential vice-presidential candidates who could lift the Democratic ticket in an unpredictable race against Mr. Trump.

In the end, Mrs. Clinton decided Mr. Kaine, 58, a former governor of Virginia who sits on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee and speaks fluent Spanish, had the qualifications and background and the personal chemistry with her to make the ticket a success.

Mrs. Clinton had entertained more daring choices. She considered Thomas E. Perez, the secretary of labor, who would have been the first Hispanic on a major party ticket; Senator Cory Booker, of New Jersey, who would have been the first African-American to seek the vice presidency; and Adm. James G. Stavridis, a retired four-star Navy admiral who served as the supreme allied commander at NATO, but had never held elected office.[/quote]

Okay. I’m cool with him.

Spent 9 months with the Jesuits? Well, grudging admiration that this isn’t another billionaire fat cat.

Amusing and interesting to see the theory verified in this case.

I would love it to be this guy, though.

Eh.45

I guess I’m the only one here that saw The Ninth Configuration.

This seems reasonable to me:

The hope, Democrats said, is that the Clinton-Kaine ticket will underscore to voters the value of a steady, dependable hand, at home and abroad, when contrasted against the inconsistent and mercurial Donald Trump.

“If you believe that the first and most important consideration is, can this person step into the big job — there’s no question that Tim Kaine can,” said Mo Elleithee, director of the Georgetown Institute of Politics, who has worked for both Clinton and Kaine in the past. “He will be an excellent partner in governing.”

Not very exciting guy, but they’re shooting for competence.

The slogan for the VP pick should always be, “First, do no harm.” (Words to live by, John McCain.)