How much sleep do you get?

I am curious. I wish to know how much you get on average, and how much you tend to vary from the average (the standard deviation, in other words).

Personally, I tend to range between nine hours and five hours of sleep a night (the latter on Qt3 gaming binges, the former on weekends when we all sleep in until 8 am). So I am at seven hours +/- 2, more or less. Unfortunately I had to round off the poll buckets somewhere, so I put myself into the 6 +/- 3 bucket.

What about you? And as usual many of you have some kind of insane sleep pattern that can’t fit into any known poll, so please respond with the demented details.

(Quick-response maniacs: WAIT FOR THE POLL!)

I have chronic night terrors + frequent insomnia. I go nights without sleep sometimes. Usually I’ll catch up by sleeping 6PM to 5AM a few nights in a row, then back to sleeplessness.

I’ve been treated with therapy, every sleep med in the world, and I’ve partaken in sleep studies. NOTHING has helped. I’ve been this way all my life, so it’s more or less “normal” for me.

I get about 7 hours or so. 10pm - 5am.

I always try to get 8 hours. 12am-8am.

I really need something like 9 or 10 hours of sleep, but I almost never get it. The average is 7-8, give or take 1 or 2 more or less.

My brain is almost always active so I get about 4-5 hours a night. Unfortunately, I’m usually not firing on as many cylinders as I would be if I was getting a full eight hours of sleep.

If I drink a lot of water before bed (Bart’s Christmas technique) I usually wake up right around the six hour mark feeling rested. If I don’t I’ll sleep eight hours and actually feel groggy when I wake up.

I try and average around six hours, maybe eight on a weekend where I’ve nothing to do. Any more and it just seems like sloth.

Since I started doing P90X I have been on a fairly strict schedule. In bed by 11, lights off by 11:30, wake up at 6:00. 7.5 hours isn’t bad. Before it was usually between 12 and 1 and wake up at 7:30, which is roughly the same amount of time.

I like to get 9 hours, but the sleep I get varies widely. The kid still nurses every 2-3 hours; he goes to bed around 8 or 9 and sleeps for 11 hours. I like to stay up and work until 12 or 1 or 2.

I answered 8 +/- 3.

7 is the target amount.

Pretty much the same for me. I still sleep short hours during the night on weekends, but I tend to get in a 1-2 hour nap.

Oh god, I’m going to grow up to be Bill. I’m scared to ever sleep again.

I sleep from around 11:45 to 5:50 during the week, with maybe an additional hour or two over the weekend. If I could train myself to sleep less, I would.

Since college, I have gotten around 5-6 hours a night on weekdays. However, unlike college, where I’d get 8 hours of sleep on the weekend, I still get 5-6 hours of sleep on the weekends as well. Damned kids!

I get 7-7.5 during the week. Weekends I usually get maybe another half hour or hour. I’m consistently feeling a bit run down, and lately have been getting around 8-8.5 daily. Probably the last week or so. Maybe I’m sick.

I get 6-7, though I should probably get more as I find myself nodding off during the day. I have to get up around 6:30 though, and I’ve traditionally been a night person, so going to bed at 10pm just feels wrong. And I usually wind up getting distracted and losing track of time before noticing that it’s almost midnight.

I put 6 average -/+ 3, though it’s usually closer to 7 a night.

Average is misleading with me. I get 4 hours of sleep 5 nights a week and 8-12 2 nights a week.

8+ hours usually. Especially the plus. I can turn any bad dream to my advantage, so I don’t have nightmares. I have unlimited capacity for sleep.