Kickstarting and Screaming

You get both of those and they’re both listed in the tier description. But yeah, it’s a mild PvE bonus (though it’s not clear if the Raid Leader themself gets those bonuses, in which case at least it might apply throughout PvE rather than just raid encounters). Kinda underwhelming compared to free boosters every week for life, or even double loot.

I guess it really matters how worthwhile the loot is over three boosters etc.

I’m your huckleberry. Loved it, though I resisted getting too invested.

I hate you all for making such compelling arguments for the Pro Player tier. I’d still like more details on how the multiplayer PvE stuff works, but Hex is definitely giving me the itch.

Not to be thread cop, but do we need to give Hex it’s own thread? It’s clearly going to be funded, so I don’t think the Kickstarter-game-thread-haters would be too up in arms.

Well, if nobody else is going to do it, then I will.

So, now that the Hex talk is done…

HAHAHA No.

This might be an interesting test to see how savvy the games-kickstarting audience is, because I think that everybody who follows games as an enthusiast is well aware of what a train wreck SK was. And the potential market of people who remember Eternal Darkness is probably also a pretty good overlap with people aware of the SK drama.

From the first 2 days of funding though, it looks like it is indeed DOA.

I am among the not-savvy, since I wasn’t aware of the history of Silicon Knights until you mentioned this.

I’m in the same boat, honestly.

Oh. This article made the rounds a while ago, and is a good place to start.

Basically, the claim is that SK wa grotesquely mismanaged, and everything they did right with Eternal Darkness and Twin Snakes was basically under intense supervision from Nintendo, who sent staff over to oversee the project after it was extremely late and over budget.

I loved his chtorr book series, but at this point, I think his fans have pretty much abandoned all hope of the series ever being finished. An author abandoning a pretty long running book series without any word is a pretty big black mark for me personally. I understand that sometimes financial realities can stop a continuation of a series from being released, but in my opinion you OWE it to your loyal fans to at least give them some word. Not to mention that the introduction of mainstream digital publication has made it a lot cheaper and less risky to release books.

I would be happy to give him my money after he finishes this series, until then, NO.

I would still recommend the chtorr series to anyone who is a fan of science fiction, but do be warned that the series is not and likely will never be concluded.

Yeah, it’s irritating that I invested the time I did in reading the Chtorr novels only to see him abandon them. I think at the least he should put up a synopsis of the unwritten books to let fans know how the series was going to conclude.

What we mean is we won’t let you bring primal packs to draft. An unopened primal is going to be worth more then $2, so you should have no trouble trading it for regular packs if you’re not interested in collecting.

So, if you went to the store to buy 3 packs to go draft, and 1 turns out to be primal, the game will tell you. You’ll need to get a 3rd “normal” pack for draft.

Once you win the draft, any of the prizes might be primal as well. There is no point where you get packs that there is not an equal chance that one of them be a primal pack. All we’re saying is to satisfy the “3 pack” requirement for draft, you can’t provide a primal pack. They all have to be “normal” packs.

Chris Woods

You actually get both. A Raid with a Raid Leader has all players start with 8 cards in their hand, and everyone starts with the blessing in play. They are two unique benefits.

Chris Woods

Well, but doesn’t the Pro Player free draft include the three boosters required for that draft? So I would assume none of those three would be primal.

So, I saw this all of a sudden - Tinykeep, a roguelike in 3D that looks pretty damn gorgeous!

The Jagged Alliance kickstarter appears to be floundering. I’m hoping it gets a surge toward the end of people who’ve been waiting and watching it. Also note that there will be a Humble Bundle of the previous games (including expansions but not Back In Action or its exps) if it makes, and pledges get it free. I personally think that’s a reasonable value for $25, even without the new JA game that the price includes.

I love JA2. It’s one of my favourite games. I’ve yet to back this yet, as I’m not confident they’ll do a good job. I’ve not played it yet, but it’s F2P so I’ll try their previous game, Frontline Tactics, tonight, but I watched a video on youtube and it looks very stale. Unless they explicitly say “here’s a big list of reasons why Back In Action sucked and how we’re going to avoid that”, then in my mind I think they’ll just fall into the same traps. (Well, they’ve already state it’s turn and tile based, so that’s that massive error avoided).

Finally, they keep saying how they’d like to tell the story of A.I.M. during the cold wa- ZZZZZzzzzzz. Sorry, I dozed off. Telling stories is the first nail in the coffin of a game who intends to be highly dynamic and emergent one. Vastly different situations and scenario paths with every play through? First thing to be thrown right out the window when a story comes a knockin’.

Yeah, I love JA but I didn’t back this up either. I think they had bad timing really and their emphasis on story sounds kinda like a me-too following Torment’s story focus. As I was reading the previous post I thought of Silent Storm. Cheesy story but I love the destructible terrain. Now I’d like to see someone Kickstarter that franchise!

Huh, I surprisingly got my first Kickstarted game that, rather than being an alpha or beta, appears to be the final game, and yet, it was the least expensive project I kicked. Crayon Chronicles, a cute little roguelike thing. Weird, the campaign that cost me the least was the fastest to complete, but the one I put the most money to, Star Citizen won’t be out at least for another year.

Just thought that was odd, that was.

Let us know how Frontline Tactics is. I kicked in at the lowest level which got me a copy of the game. I would have kicked in a lot more if this had been the original team. But instead it’s largely an unknown company. Plus as someone else pointed out, there have been several JA games put out over the past few years and none of them appears to have captured the magic of the original two.

I think they should have waited until their Space Hulk implementation came out and then tried to run the Kickstarter. If Space Hulk turned out well, I certainly would have been happy to make a larger contribution.

It’s really dull. It’s just sacks of HP standing around in the open shooting at each other. You can hide behind objects, but it doesn’t help that much as the AI just likes to run right up to you. Also, it’s not clear how diagonals effect the cardinal-direction-orientated cover system. (And there’s no corner peer/stepout like in XCOM, either). Something I haven’t seen before is a shuffle round system, where a list of “who is next” is built entirely at random and publicised. That’s interesting, but it’s annoying as I’ve had the same person can go 3 times in a row. There’s no way to switch soldiers to see what your other team members can see, to help you plan who does what. You just have to kind of remember if that guy could reach the next cover spot or not, etc, before planning the current guy. There’s also a ‘sneak’ cammo system which basically doesn’t work. (Not only is there no UI indication of how cloaked you are, so you end up counting squares, but the AI just mills about at random until it encounters you by chance).

ps: wasd rotates, arrow keys scroll. How odd. LMB moves unit but it also moves the camera. So often clicks don’t register as move commands but move-camera-by-1-px commands.

Overall: A low budget game that appears to be geared towards selling you IAP, but has no entertaining ‘hook’ to draw you in.

I hope their JA is nothing like it, simply.