Let's Play Choice of Robots

I recently purchased what the developer describes as a “high-quality, text-based, multiple-choice game” - or what I like to call a gamebook - from choiceofgames, for my Android phone, called Choice of Robots, after seeing some recommendations around the internet. The game is also available for iOS and PC, via Steam, and it’s a gamebook spanning about 30 years, where you start out as a graduate student trying to build a robot. The choices in the game determine not just how your life turns out, but also how your robots will affect the world. You can build giant kill-bots, or you can try to build robots to help humanity. I’ve played through it a couple of times, and enjoyed it a lot, so I figured we could do a community playthrough here, where we take a vote on each choice, and see how it turns out.

I’ll type out the text here, list the options, and then wait 24 hours for people to vote, before moving on, although I’m sure people understand that depending on my schedule (which is not overly busy at the moment), it might occasionally take a little longer than 24 hours. The character, as well as the robot he builds, also has some stats. These appear in the game both as a number and a descriptor, and I was thinking I’d post just the descriptors after every choice, but if people really want the numbers too, I guess we can do that.

Without further ado, here’s the first choice. This is a short one:

Where are you?

[ol]
[li]In the court of the Egyptian god Anubis, answering for my sins.
[/li][li]On a war-torn battlefield, with a robotic Statue of Liberty.
[/li][li]On a cliff in Ireland, watching the sun set with a robot companion.
[/li][li]On a utopian beach ruled by a godlike cloud of robots.
[/li][/ol]

Right, so here are the initial stats (just the descriptors, except where those aren’t available):

24-year old Unnamed Protagonist:

Humanity: 90%
Fame: who?
Wealth: Broke
Romance: None

Your robot

Autonomy: Nonexistent
Military: Buggy
Empathy: Buggy
Grace: Buggy

There’s also a list of relationships, but we don’t know anybody yet, so I won’t post that.

[B]2. On a war-torn battlefield, with a robotic Statue of Liberty.

[/B]I’m nothing if not transparent.

Awesome - Sorry Otagan, but Im going with

2 - In the court of the Egyptian god Anubis, answering for my sins.

That would’ve been my second pick, to be fair.

Count me in.

In the court of the Egyptian god Anubis, answering for my sins.

Me too - In the court of the Egyptian god Anubis, answering for my sins.

Great idea, btw!

Frankly, I doubt the piety of anyone choosing another option. Anubis’s judgment is absolute!

Anubis! Anubis!

I would like to keep this fantastical since I fully expect to experience 2 - On a war-torn battlefield, with a robotic Statue of Liberty in the next 10 years.

How could we not go with the Dog-headed god from Egypt.

If we can stick with “high tech in ancient Egypt” as a theme, there’s a possibility that we wind up in Stargate and Kurt Russell shows up at some point. So dreamy. . .

(P.S. - I just couldn’t watch the show. I tried, I really did. But the movie is too perfect exactly as-is)

Because a robotic Statue of Liberty is pretty hard to pass up on.

So that is my choice I will meet you on the battlefield. Though were it not for the robotic SoL, it’d be Anubis.

I’m staring at you through the internet so hard right now. Apophis will see that you are properly punished.

Yes, Mr. Russell does have that effect on people.

I’ve played through a few times on my phone and saw a bunch of endings. I’ll just toss in votes for what I think I did the first time, which I’m pretty sure was option 3.

Everybody gets one vote, so you’ll have to pick one of the two.

Tech mummies are stupid.

I vote for Ireland. I can imagine Irish people building deathbots. One is going to host the new Robot Wars series, so it makes sense.

The irish story ends with hot human/robot sex.