Looking for baseball fans of all levels for a fun, predictive online experiment

This sounds interesting. Count me in.

BTW, because of COURSE baseball wagering is only done against the money line, and because that doesn’t present us much of value to prognosticate, we’ll actually only be picking straight up winners and losers.

Will add more games to give us a wider spread of cases to consider, will still be the same time frame.

…and it turns out the folks I’m competing (who self-identify as being baseball fans at least somewhat) will be paired against a control group of self-identified non-fans. We want to see whether knowledge has an effect on the swarm!

We’re going to do this on WEDNESDAY JULY 13th at 10pm Eastern, 9pm central, 8pm Mountain, 7pm Pacific

EDIT: we may move to Thursday, July 14.

Ooh that’s me out, amusingly enough because I’ll be at the Eastern League All-Star Game.

That should be fine, but it cuts awful close to when I put my son to bed. But I should be able to finish story time early enough.

Sorry Trig story time > cool baseball thing.

Hey all! Just a quick heads up!

We’re going to go live and try this thing on THURSDAY, July 14 at 10pm EDT, 9pm CDT, etc.

I’ll post what are probably way too detailed instructions for what is a simple and anonymous log in procedure and participation sometime tomorrow.

It should be a lot of fun, and I hope you’ll join us! If you have any baseball fan friends, feel free let them know as well.

Bumping this as a reminder for tonight, and also with one final annoying thing I left out: technical requirements!

UNU currently only works with Firefox and Chrome. Safari and IE are not supported at all, and probably won’t work.

Android devices are supported, but iOS is not. I’m not sure about iOS support with Chrome, but I’ve heard from users that there are issues with the iPad screen ratios and our interface. So…yeah. iOS probably not yet.

In a few hours I’ll post a link to the pre-survey. It really does take about 3 minutes to fill that out. We want to see if any individuals beat the group.

There are instructions in the pre-survey for joining our room (which is painfully easy). I’ll post the direct link to the UNU space and the password later today as well.

Again, going for 10pm eastern, 9 central. The more, the better, and it’ll be pretty fun. I hope you can make it!

I forgot to post here earlier, but this is very intriguing to me. I will try to join up if I can figure it out and am available within the time frame necessary.

Awesome Kelan. Hope you can make it!

FWIW, our prediction/decision tool is incredibly easy to use and very intuitive. We’ve also found that people who play video games a lot take to it like a duck to water.

OK, we go live with this in about an hour.

Sometime, maybe just a few minutes before 10pm eastern, if you could fill out this survey, it’d be great!

You can use the link to join us, or you can simply use this direct link.

Just pick “Try As Guest” and put in whatever username you like.

The room is password protected. That password is: fastball

Really, really hope to see folks there. We’ll get this run through in a matter of minutes and get you back to Tom’s gaming stream, I promise!

FYI: It doesn’t seem to like uBlock Origin being turned on.

Huh, interesting. Is that just a cookie prevention, or ISP masking ad blocker?

Definitely will pas that on to the guys who make the big bucks to do tech.

Fortunately, you can turn off uBlock by domain with a click so it wasn’t really a big issue…but uBlock is popular, so I thought I’d pass along the info.

Yep, that’s info we need. Thanks!

Survey done. Pretty excited about seeing how this works.

Awesome. Seriously can’t express appreciation enough for those able to make it. I really hope we nail these out!

Thanks y’all. That was great, exactly what I was hoping for.

After I spend the next few hours fending off neo-fascists in the Current Events room, I’ll post our predictions!

Here are the games the swarm on July 14 picked:

1. NYY over BOS by 2 (close)

2. WSH over PIT by 5 (blowout)

3. NYM over PHI by 3 (average)

4. DET over KC by 2 (close)

5. CIN over MIL by 2 (close)

6. BAL over TB by 3 (average)

7. COL over ATL by 1 (close)

8. CLE over MIN by 5 (blowout)

9. LAD over ARI by 2 (close)

10 CHW over LAA by 2 (close)

11.TOR over OAK by 4 (average)

12.HOU over SEA by 3 (average)

Worth noting, of all these games, the contest number 10 between the White Sox and Angels was originally picked as a tossup by the Swarm. We repeated the question and the 2 run margin favoring the White Sox was the second result.

I will compare responses of the swarm and the responses of individual members as games are completed on July 15 and issue a follow up report.

Our COO just put down bets on all the games we picked. Plus he played a $1 prop bet on all 12 as a group that will pay $9k if it comes in.

I will post our results (which were really good) and some other thoughts in a bit. For now, though I’m trying to identify one user. If you think you picked pretty well, but you also mistakenly listed the Giants as the team that lost to the Royals in the 2015 World Series, speak up or drop me a PM.