Master of Magic Rises Again

According to Good Old Games, http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/master_of_magic , MoM returns tomorrow for the low low price of $5.99 .

I still remember how much fun I would have starting with Life Magic and Myrran, and putting all my efforts into getting to Planar Seal (Lock?) as fast as I could.

Post your MoM memories/strategies/hopes and dreams here!

I still remember the beginning of the first game of Master of Magic I ever played. It became my favorite game of all time. I still play it.

Think Elves, Node Mastery, Warlord, and Longbows. Waterwalking helps gets settlers to other islands/continents. Get heroes that give you gold, can see farther, have Pathfinding, or can fly.

I got this game for my 16th birthday and it’s still one of the best gifts I’ve ever gotten.

Its tomorrow… is it out yet? :)

Spent 3 years playing this gem of a game…man, Simtex was the greatest!

I recently retried the game about a year ago, and its one of the good games that is easily played still - everything just works. The UI is incredible, the graphics are fine and serviceable, and the gameplay is awesome! Like so many of the old classics, it just oozes atmosphere

My favorite MoM memory has to be the 2man-weekendlong-Shiftgame. Don’t really member too much Details but basically a Friend of Mine stayed over for a few days and we agreed to a
Character. I distinctly remember Illusion being One of the Schools. Biggest map and lots of
enemies. One started playing untill he was drop dead tired. Then he would wake the other, explain what was going on and players switched. It took 2-3 days of 24 hours full time shift playing to win. Hey, I never said we where good! That was one hell of a gaming binge. Good times.

One of Illusion’s starter spells was Phantom Warriors. I think there was a Phantom Beast too, but that was later on.

[Edit]: Ok, the spell school was actually Sorcery. Check out this PDF of the MOM Spellbook.

Wasn’t this game pretty fun until you realized that you could make a killer stack with some sort of superhero units (Avatars or something) and nothing could stand against them? I remember the game having a lot of cool aspects but just being really unbalanced somehow. But it was ages ago that I played it.

Thanks for that Link. I always had the Phantom warrior spell and can still See the animation and hear the sounds when i close my eyes.

MoM was great. I remember using that loader thingie that allowed multiplayer with a friend … great times. That tool still around somewhere?

One of the few things that I think is very disappointing in MoM when I replay these days is the limited map size - I really wish you could play on larger worlds. The multi plane approach was great, though.

rezaf

It is up for download!

And I get to think about playing it for another 2 1/2 hours. <mutters about not having admin access on this computer>

Halfling slinger in Myrran + Wrex the Chaos warrior hero = woooo

I still have the strategy guide for it. it’s a nice thick manual with tons of number crunching…

I like to dapple in everything so usually pick a few book of earth + sorc + life right off the bat.

Crack is the reason to get earth, it’s like the cheapest spell in the game, 25% chance of instant killing a great wyrm is just awesome.

The way I remember it, one day I just woke up to the fact that the AI couldn’t play the game. At all. It was in effect a single-player PvE game. Yet the PvE game was interesting enough that I was having a lot of fun anyway.

It had some pretty serious design flaws that would have been bad news if the AI were competent. Namely, the “overland” spells which let you nuke a city at any distance, even if you had nothing nearby. Sort of the “XCom Mind Control” of MoM.

The Magic the Gathering inspiring “spell book” system was fascinating, though.

• Gus

The Toran rush - take life magic spell books (I think you just need 10) and take Incantation (or maybe it was Incarnation) as your rare life spell. The entire early game is geared towards getting enough mana to pay for Toran. Which is easier than it sounds, he has something like a 12 mana upkeep. But he’s pretty awesome. Not invincible - you’ll need to use him judiciously until you get him properly equipped (the game I started this morning I got him right before work, but he’s not ready for conquer the universe duties yet).

I love High Elves, the longbowmen are incredible. One fo the areas where the AI was decent was in using spells in battle. Capable enemy air mages will cast the arrow immunity spell to compensate. I sometimes pick high elves even if I start on Myrran. They generate some magic innately (not as much as DEs). But the longbowmen really rock.

Human Paladins are awesome, I mean imbalanced. But still awesome. That said, the pikemen are pretty awesome too. Fight defensively (don’t attack, let people attack you). Seriously, these are amazing units.

The Dark Elf mages are the best in the game. They get really high magic attack power, but they can also cast doom bolt as their magic spell.

I played this game as a kid, but nowhere near as much as Master of Orion. I’m definitely going to buy it, but I don’t expect I’ll be able to slip back into as easily as MOO.

AI aside, MoM is the ne plus ultra of turn-based 4x for me. The version I have installed runs too slow for some reason, despite my DosBox tweaking, so I’m definitely going to pick this up along with the MoO twofer. Thanks for the heads-up, Mark L!

I have had no DoSBox problems since I increased the cycles by pressing one of the function keys a few times.

I forget how that works or where I found that particular fix.

I just love the bog ol’ manual.

Ctrl F12 to increase cycles by increments of 500. My DOSBOX defaults to 3000 cycles. I bump it to 15,000 and the game screams.

Yeah, for some reason boosting the cycles wasn’t working for me. The AI turns were taking a really long time. I may try again now that I have Windows 7 installed.

Yep, that’s about what I did. Thanks Woolen.