Mount & Blade Warband : Mods

Mid summer for brytenwalda. PoP sieges are terrible, only one method of ingress, poor pathfinding for both offenders and defenders, and the openings around the ingresses tend to have hit boxes that don’t match the physical battlements (which makes ranged attacks difficult). The vast majority of sieges in PoP are like that, whereas floris has mods specifically designed to counter these deficiencies. I can make some videos when I get home after the long weekend, but I can’t believe you’ve played the game so much and noticed that sieges in PoP are a mess!

As I’ve said before, I’d love the PoP world with the mechanics of floris extended. I love the brutality of PoP, the knightly orders and the fact it even has a storyline. Shame the gameplay is clunky.

Brytenwalda was completely done and released on 28/09/2012 and has no bugs anymore. As for Pendor sieges…meh, they work fine for me - Sure there is only one entrance to most keeps, but they are still a ton of fun. Anyways - Each to his own. PoP was voted second best mod ever for M&B Warband, so I’m sure most people find that it works fine.

Well shit, now I have seen something worse. In Floris, I saw a dude leading a bunch of separate armies of forest bandits, such that if you ran into the center of them you could get a 200+ sized opposing force, but they were individually moving together with the regular small army speed. Jeez. I ran into the end of their line and picked off 100 or so, but I’m only on Day 14 or something, so I’m not uber-ed out yet and it was tough. I wonder if later on Floris will run a similar strategy with actually good units and up the numbers a bit.

I suppose it was just like when you run into an enemy faction running to a siege out in the wild, but when they can just up and happen with bandits, that’s pretty cool. In PoP the huge armies move so slow they effectively can’t touch you unless you want them to.

Thanks for posting this Razgon. I’ve had a look at some Let’s Plays for the mods and have decided to give Brytenwalda a go once I have more experience in vanilla.

Great! Oh, one thing - If you do a few tasks for a nation, and get some reputation with them, you can join the army of that factions lords. Some like it as a good way to get decent pay and items in the beginning. It CAN be boring though, if the faction isn’t at war and you just run around for weeks doing nothing. On the other side, its quite fun to be in a battle where you are armed with a pitchfork and some stones and a hat made of straw while the lords ride their horses and use swords and chain mail. Its a somewhat unique experience.

So I’ve put many hours into Floris now and I really see nothing which distinguishes it from vanilla Warband. It’s just more and it has some of the systems from other mods incorporated that I like (tourneys, sieges, auto-loot). So overall I’d say it’s a better vanilla experience, but it’s still a vanilla experience. Maybe I missed something?

Nah, Floris is just that - An extended vanilla version of the game. It refines a lot of systems, but thats more or less it.

The total conversion mods are to me at least,a lot more interesting, since they add purpose and story to the game. Well, at least Brytenwalda and PoP does so.

I was cruising Taleworlds’s forums, and noticed that a new version of Prophesy of Pendor was released last week. The notable new feature is the ability to create and customize your own knighthood order. Looks very cool. I may have to fire up Warband again, and see if I can gel this time with the combat changes from the original M&B.

Tried some of them, I just think it got so sterile after they added so much lords and ladies, I roam the land, and there is just nothing there…no roaming bands, no nothing, everything cleaned out by npcs…when I finally find something its 4 outlaws that takes ages to chase down.

While I have done the lords and ladies stuff before, it takes ages to get into the action, and the quests are hard to find and few…and when you get them, they are hard to find again…

i assume thats neither Brytenwalda nor PoP? Beceause those two have tons of things happening at all times.

Ooh, i’m excited now! Must give Brytenwalda a proper go.

I recorded a couple of sieges midgame in Floris and PoP, the files were 100gb each because I forgot to change the resolution from 2560x1440. Even transcoded to 720p MP4 they’re 700mb each for a 15min battle >.<

Okay, once in a while some trees look funny, but OTHER THAN THAT, there are no bugs! ;-)

And don’t worry about the sieges - I kinda understand what you mean, its just not a big deal to me :)

EDIT: As for POP, a new version is out now, as someone mentioned earlier, with two new castles as well.

Not savegame compatible unfortunately, and I slaved far too long to get to level 36 to throw it all away!

It’s the PoP one, I know there are some quests to take, I got one of them, find bandit hideout, it isn’t easy when you have no clue where it is…
But mostly its the lack of mobs and stuff, I run around and there is just emptyness between the cities…nothing is going on…I crossed huge landmasses without meeting anything but kings,lords and peasants.

thats…very weird- The current version has tons of knighthoods, thieves, marauders, jatu lancers, demonic hordes, raiders, Vanskerry raiders, named mobs, Caravans, farmers and lords going all about the map.

As for quests - I take it you didn’t read the actual quest then? Because that usually mentions what town/Village the lair is near.

Actually, it seems like you don’t really understand how to play the game. I don’t blame you for that, because the game is neither easy nor intuitive, but the game is generally divided into three segments - Early, middle and late game.

Early game has you roaming the lands, mobbing up thieves, and most people also hire themselves out as a mercenary to a faction to get in the action, get experience, troops, pay, and good standing and honor. Middle game has you becoming a lord in your own right, and late game is about taking over the world, either as part of a faction, or your own Kingdom.

Late EDIT: Sorry for sounding like a jackass, thats not my intention - I just meant that you gave the impression to me of not knowing how the game is to be played, which is not to follow quests at all. Apologies for poor phrasing.

I’m doing the same. I think Prophesy of Pendor will remain my favorite mod, but I do really like the different setting of Bryttenwalda along with the significant changes such as rarity of horses and good bows, absence of couching and more. That and the challenge level are helping me get enthused about the game all over again.

Hamster, starting area has a lot to do with random NPC parties. I found the north was the best for finding small groups to challenge.

I’m not playing Mount & Blade at the moment, but I just have to pop in and pimp my absolute favorite mod, The Last Days. It has tons and tons of atmosphere and content. Orcs, wargs, dwarves, trolls, Haradrim, corsairs. The list goes on. Link. I guess it’s only for Mount & Blade, though.
Some random shots from ModDb:

Damn this thread. Since re-installing the game on Friday, Steam tells me I put 24 hours of play time into the Prophecy of Pendor mod. DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL.

Haha it got me for 20 hours. And I’m working through Brytenwalda now so who knows.