Pokemon GO - Ingress and monster collecting

Hard to tell so far since it hasn’t been working for a whole uninterrupted day.

Ok I’ve independently been told of this game twice today, and told another friend who’s buzzing others. The game hasn’t even released yet in Canada.

I just checked if Niantic is on the stock index. It’s not. Nintendo stock is way up though. could be a coincidence.

http://seekingalpha.com/news/3192261-nintendo-soars-new-pokemon-mobile-game-takes

It’d be GREAT if one could log into the damned thing.

What I find interesting is that because Pokemon GO is built on the framework of Ingress, a lot of the locations are carryovers from that earlier game which don’t sync up so well with the Pokemon theme.

Lots of churches, back alleys, and interiors of closed businesses. And in one case…

The 9/11 Memorial Pool.

I’ve run into multiple groups playing within minutes. This game is huge.

Unfortunately it’s like Ingress lite, and Ingress was a bunch of cool mechanics without a real game behind it.

They stripped out the core Pokemon loop of using your Pokemon to battle others and then collect them, while also leveling up your pokemon. Instead you just jump to throwing the ball and collect them. And you level up by spending resources, not by using pokemon in these battes. And the actual battle system – used in Gyms only – seems to be really bad.

But… any geo game is kind of fun intrinsically. The AR effect is cute.

Game is so huge I can’t even log in!

Lets see where this goes. Tomorrow I will explore my city :-)

Well, me and my son took a walking (and driving partially…this is California, after all) tour this afternoon around our neighborhood and parks and public gardens. We must’ve seen 50 other people walking around with their phones out looking for fucking Pokeballs. The thirty-ish-plus ones mostly looked a bit sheepish about the whole thing, I must say. This younger folk seemed pretty excited about the whole thing.

I guess if it gets people walking, it’s a plus anyway.

It finally made me upgrade my iPhone 4. I have an SE on the way.

iPhone 4? Jesus Dave that is a five year old phone. It’d be the equivalent of owning a computer from 1999.

This may be useful for folks.

Server is down, it seems they allocated capacity for only two countries, but people everywhere is finding ways to download and play it. It dont looks good :-/

Kids man. It just wasn’t a priority. I don’t really game on it much at all and the 4 handles text/calls in pretty much the same way as any other iPhone. I just don’t get caught up in phone technology. My mobile gaming is a New Nintendo 3DS.

My PC is still running a Core i7 860 too. GTX 970, SSD. It’s easily still overly capable 7 years later.

Yeah but phones still double in speed every year. That has not happened on PC in more than a decade.

You’re not alone. II got a 4 almost within a month of launch. Still going. But I’m probably going to upgrade soon. It’s showing age.

I’m predicting a matter of weeks before the first news story about a fatal car crash where someone is playing Pokemon Go.

You can’t incubate eggs while driving at high speeds… they are clearly checking for that. But you can do EVERYTHING ELSE. Even worse is that it seems like a vastly more efficient way to play than walking or biking.

Seriously patch this Niantic. WTF.

Well, a teenage girl found a dead body in a river in rural Wyoming playing the game today…

I have friends all over Facebook posting pictures of themselves running around town collecting Pokemon and running into crowds of other people. Seems every park in Seattle had 15-30 Pokemon hunters in it tonight.

I appreciated that on my way to work I had to stop by four churches and a “male strip club with the famous slogan ‘touch our junk’”.

Theres a tense turf war where I live. Two players (VocataMan and Winston) reign of terror with their high level pokes use to own all gyms around. Some of us are turning that around.

This game may not be very good, but is a great excuse to “walk one more pokestop before battery dies” to exercise. I really need to do exercise so is really great for me :D

Edit
This is somewhat scary.

I just found the user profile of this “VocataMan” in Steam. Now I know his name is Diego and is 22 years old. Is scary how much information about ourselves we allow to leak to the internet.