Rodent House Pets

This is very similar to the cage I think I picked up at Petco (forgot the exact measurements). And this is the now-roofless hut I purchased (next size up from the one depicted is just big enough for two adult females to huddle in).

For what it’s worth, I’ve seen lots of photos of multilevel cages showing guineas sitting up on the second level, and I have to wonder how many guineas were really actually there voluntarily. This may not be very representative, but even when there are incredibly delicious treats and pure water waiting just at the top of a short ramp, my guinea pigs have never climbed ramps, stairs or ladders. I have to assume they just don’t feel comfortable making the ascent, for whatever reason. (Of course, that excludes stuff like this - walling off an upper level for a separate living area).

Whatever you wind up getting, you’re obligated to post pics.

This thread has inspired me to look into owning a hamster. The place that I’m at doesn’t allow larger pets.

Four sqft is definitely way too small for two pigs. Any cage you’re going to get from Petsmart or similar is likely to be pushing the minimum size for even one pig. You really want something like:

(You can just buy from them or get all the materials yourself. It’s all common stuff.)

And yes, Guinea Lynx is an awesome site for all your cavy needs.

We tried to get a fuzz pig up a ramp and it was completely a no go. Screamed like a pig! But that was just one, I’m sure there are plenty of piggies that love their split levels.

Actually I can assure you that they don’t. I haven’t run into anyone who thinks they actually smell. Ferrets sold through normal channels in the US must be descented, with that plus actually bathing them on occasion (but not too frequently) they don’t really smell much more strongly than a dog (it is a very different kind of smell though).

Our pig would not even think about climbing on something.

Although it humps rabbits.

Mammals are well and good but I come to solve your problems:

Looks: AWESOME. Is: Fuzzy. Doesn’t: Smell. Feed: Once a week. Clean: Once a month. Bites: Very little.

This man knows! My spiderling (Avicularia Versicolor):

They actually are very good display pets. Most of the species are uniquely and vibrantly colored and almost as many are so docile that, if the idea is appealing, you can handle them regularly. They are venomous, but the ones you’d get as pets have weaker venom than a wasp and dry bite a lot of the time anyway. Not that this thread was about tarantulas.

Nothing like a pet that occasionally tries to give you a venemous bite.

So we’ve got rats and tarantulas… anyone keep pet roaches? C’mon, you know you’re out there!

Seriously! Who doesn’t like a little venom? It should be noted that for most people they’re display pets. There are some nuts who will handle the most venomous Old World species, but for your average tarantula owner it’s just a colorful, active pet to watch. And they annihilate crickets.

I tried talking my wife into letting me raise roaches to feed to the tarantulas, but she was not comfortable with having a heat lamp on all the time. Oh well. I do, however, see hissing roaches in my future.

Crickets are just nasty.

Guinea pigs are swell, as long as you know all the “gotchas” going in (and you certainly sound like you do. I, however, did not).

We started with 1 male, and he was lonely and sad. We got a 2nd male, and the first was instantly more lively.

That 4’x2’ (more or less) cage is at the small end of being enough space for two. Space is one of the “gotchas”, because I thought one could live in a large aquarium, and I was mistaken.

We have a cage that is a “tray” made from a piece of corrugated plastic cut and taped into shape that is about 45"x30" and has a half-width second floor (so it’s 45"x15"). The walls are the metal grid “crates” that are recommended by people at GunieaLynx and the like. I took some scrap carpet and nailed it to some scrap wood bracketed into an “L” shape to use as a ramp between the floors. I was worried they wouldn’t use it if it was too steep, so the rise/run is about 1:3 (8" up over 24") to the 90 degree left turn, then a little steeper than that, maybe 1:2 (6" up over 12") to the second floor. They took to the ramp instantly, for what it’s worth.

I really think that any flooring that has holes big enough for their poop pellets to fall through will have holes big enough that they’ll injure their feet/ankles. Since I got the pig for my (then 12 year old) daughter, I was paranoid about anything that might hurt/kill them and traumatize her. The metal “grating” was viewed negatively by people at GuineaLynx and the like, so I just steered clear.

We started with wood chips, but quickly got tired of having to clean parts of it every day or so. So, we switched to putting towels down, and then polar fleece on top of the towels. The pee is easily wicked through the fleece to the towels, and we change the fleece layer twice a week, cycling the towels out every other fleece change. Being able to just fold/roll up the fleece, take it outside, and shake all the poop off is MUCH better than scooping out sections of litter, IMO. I also think it’s cheaper, but I haven’t really put thought into what the true cost of my method it (energy, soap, water used to run the fleece and towels through the wash). We have been using the same set of towels/fleece (4 bath towels, using 2 at a time and 4 pieces of fleece cut to size, using 1 at a time) for about 18 months now, and there’s no indication we’ll need to replace anything soon.

I made another smaller tray from some leftover corrugated plastic, and got the large
Timber Hide-a-Way to sit in the tray. We put recycled paper “litter” (Yesterday’s News or the like) in the thing for them to use as a potty-house. They still pee other places and poop everywhere, but the pee is much less of a problem than before we had the house (when they would pee in every possible nook/corner).

Plenty of owners will say they’ve managed to potty train their pigs so they only pee in a specific part of the cage, or they can be left to roam a large area and will only pee in a litter tray or something. I’m dubious, but I’m also too lazy to earnestly try to litter train them.

As long as we don’t get lazy and miss a fleece/towel change, the smell doesn’t get bad. Although we do sprinkle some baking powder on the bottom of the tray before we put clean towels down each week to help.

On weekends sometimes, we’ll put them in the guest bathroom (on a huge piece of scrap fabric the wife had) so they have a bigger area to run around in. In the summer, we have a second cage (just the grid walls, no bottom) that we put outside so they can just roam around in it and eat grass/weeds at whim.

They’re pretty cool.

(Later) Captain Murphy: What’s that? You laid your brood of eggs in my navel? That’s wonderful! Ben, we’re gonna be mommies!

Another rat owner here. Like previously said, they make great pets if you can get them very young, and seperate them from other rats so their only real contact is with people. The best way I found to get them was to find a pet shop that breeds them for snake feeding, and pick a female out of the litter once they are eating food on their own. This way is much cheaper than buying a real “pet rat” like you see at the pet store chain. They are very low maintenance as well, and live about 2 years.

I have had several rats over the years, and they all definitely had their own personalities. One acted pretty much like a small dog. She’d come sit with you to be petted and ran around the house greeting people. I was able to teach her a few tricks like standing up on her back legs to beg for treats. I’d get another one if my wife wasn’t so against it.