Room thread of "Go Watch Room"

I am late to respond to this because I just saw the movie last week. I am with Jon, I thought Tremblay was terrific. It might be because I am raising a kid about the same age but I was really drawn to him, and the childlike innocence that leaves him oblivious to some of the things that were happening. He didn’t connect with adults around him in the same way that real kids are so focused on their own lives that crazy things happening around them just bounce off of them. I agree that we didn’t need the voice overs but they didn’t hurt the movie for me.

I also thought that the second half of the movie was great. The way that she went from an amazingly good Mom in the confined circumstances of the room under traumatic conditions, to struggling with the expectations of the outside world for her as a parent from her family and from the media, really spoke to me as a parent. And I thought it ended very nicely. I agree that the William Macy character was the only flaw, I think they must have edited out portions of the movie that would have given that better context.

I was completely blown away by this movie. I immediately read the book, which by the way gives you a bit of a better sense of why William Macy can’t deal with the situation.

Yeah, my girlfriend picked up the book on her kindle immediately, and now I kind of want to read it.

Finally saw this and liked it a bunch. Brie Larson is amazing - add this to Short Term 12 and she has already turned in two performances that put most actors to shame.

I read the book awhile ago and the movie was an excellent adaptation. Kid narration was a bit of a mistake and they fumbled the dad character, but the contrast between the first and second half was necessary and well done.

Finally watched this last night after reading JonRowe’s original post. I stopped reading the thread there after his advice to go into it without reading any more about it before seeing it. Having now seen it, I read the rest of the thread.

I normally don’t watch movies like this, as they tend to traumatize me. I have no personal experience with the subject matter, but stuff like this traumatizes me anyway. Usually. I thought this film handled its realism really well. Realistic, while toning down the stuff that would otherwise make it very difficult to watch. So I had no difficulty watching it. I was always tense and very uncomfortable at times, but never to the point of, “I can’t watch any more of this.”

I thought it was a very good movie. Having read the criticisms above, I can certainly understand where that criticism comes from, and can even agree with it in some cases, but even agreeing with some of the criticism, I thought it was excellent, and generally very well done.

Yes, the child’s voice-overs were somewhat jarring and unnecessary, but I didn’t really mind them.
I thought the child actor did just fine. Nothing outstanding, but given his part, I don’t see how he could have done any better.

Maybe I’m misunderstanding your meaning, but having gone through his whole life isolated, I would think that he would have trouble connecting with anyone besides his mother. But maybe you mean strictly on an acting level. But how can you tell the difference? I thought the child actor did an admirable job portraying a child in his circumstances.

The second half of the movie did seem directionless, but I thought that it was an accurate portrayal of how things might play out in real life. I was worried that there would be a horrifying courtroom scene in there, and was glad there wasn’t.

The only part of the film I had any problem with was how William H. Macy just disappeared without any sort of resolution whatsoever. And again, this is probably true to how it might actually play out. But I thought that Macy did a tremendous job with the role, and would have loved to see a lot more of his character, as he made me more uncomfortable than the actual bad guy, and they could have done much, much more with his character.

Best part: The kid unrolling from the carpet, and then just lying there staring up at the sky, oblivious to everything except the wonderment of what he is experiencing. His awe is palpable.

Overall, I really liked it. Won’t be watching it again though, as it was pretty much unforgettable, and I do have trouble with the subject matter. The very idea of someone being (and I suppose I should spoiler tag this, since no one else has yet said it) held prisoner in a tiny room for years makes me very emotional on many levels.

Even after watching this movie, I still cannot even imagine what it would be like, nor would I want to. And in that respect, I’m glad they toned down that part of it.

[quote=“Giles_Habibula, post:24, topic:78302”]
Maybe I’m misunderstanding your meaning, but having gone through his whole life isolated, I would think that he would have trouble connecting with anyone besides his mother. But maybe you mean strictly on an acting level. But how can you tell the difference?[/quote]

No, no, I mean as an acting thing. I think the little kid is a terrible actor, which is going to be par for the course for kids that age. But to show you the difference, to give you an example of the exception to the rule, I’ve cued up a tiny moment between Cameron Bright and Nicole Kidman in Birth.

https://youtu.be/lpJj9c2OV-0?t=23

Bright was the same age as Tremblay when Birth was shot. It’s not really a fair comparison, because Bright’s performance, and his ability to connect with Nicole Kidman, is exceptional. It’s also not a fair comparison because his character is literally an adult in a child’s body. But it’s an example of a child that age being able to really connect with another actor, to listen, to respond, to interact, to connect. John Cazale, I think, said that 90% of acting is reacting. Which is really just another way of saying “connecting”.

For another example, check out Harvey Scrimshaw in The Witch. River Phoenix in Stand by Me. Owen Kline in The Squid and the Whale. Henry Thomas in ET. Haley Joel Osmond in Sixth Sense. They’re all exceptional performances and they’re all kids around Tremblay’s age. Performances are, of course, subjective things. It’s like looking at a painting or reading a book. People will naturally have different opinions. But it’s my opinion that he’s not a good actor and it’s not a good performance.

-Tom

Well Tom, I don’t know what I can say. Or rather what I can say that would mean anything, as I don’t really study these things, and can’t speak with any authority. I guess I wasn’t looking for anything in particular when I watched Room, so to give a proper response, I’d have to watch Room again, or at least parts of it. If you have Amazon Prime, maybe you could give me a time marker of a scene for an example?

All I can say for now is that I watched that clip you posted, and I think that Bright is a very fine actor as well. It was a great scene. And Stand By Me? C’mon, all those kids were great; not just River Phoenix. I haven’t (yet) seen The Witch or The Squid And The Whale. The others I’ve seen, but too long ago to comment on the acting.

I reacted at a gut level with Tremblay in Room, and it was solely based on that that I thought he did great. But maybe I just need to watch more closely next time.

I didn’t want to spoil much before, but if we are talking.

The carpet/truck/escape sequence was one of the most tense situations I have ever been a part of. And I say that, because the excellent film-making made you feel right there. Holy shit it was intense, I remember gripping the seat so tightly my hands hurt. And the moments where the police return to the house, with the kid just sitting there in the cop car… this humongous weight of dread hit my stomach.

She is dead. He went back and killed her, and this kid is never going to see his mom again. Holy shit, that scene got me. Something about the way that scene was shot or paced, really ratcheted up the dread. And then, of course, the reunion was so amazing.

Such a good movie. Brie Larson deserved the hell out of that Oscar, and I will have to completely disagree with Tom about Jacob Tremblay’s acting. I wouldn’t say the kid was a star, or amazing or anything, but I didn’t think that his performance in any way was a negative influence on the finished product.

In the end we are bro ably just arguing about a matter of taste-- but I’m going to defend Tremblay’s performance one more time. Room was a much more naturalistic film than any of the others Tom listed for childhood performances, and I think that might account for the things that bugged him. The child in Room was not mythologized or seen throgh the patina of memory, he was the child at the edge of the frame in an episode of Cops, except the whole film was centered on him.

Well that’s the last time I ever open a thread called “Go watch xxxxxxx”…spoiler central.

The very first post says go in with as little as possible. I put the reading of spoilers on you.

Yes, a thread with a title that seems devoted to encouraging people to go to see the movie should have open spoilers in the thread and it’s my fault for opening it, having it jump right to a major spoiler, and skimming it for one second, enough to know what happens. My fault, not the folks leaving open spoilers sitting there. Isn’t there a thread for that? Why leave that in a thread with what appears to be dedicated to those who have NOT seen the movie? Whatever.

I don’t know man, This movie came out last year, I don’t know what to tell you, I posted w/o spoilers in March, and I figured enough time had passed for people to have seen it.

I don’t like spoiler tags, and I don’t really like the concept of “spoilers” in general. I didn’t use the tags because, it seemed like all of the discussion would be done already. The 31 replies since March indicated that those who would “go watch room” had. I don’t think we need 2 threads for every movie, much less a movie that barely saw a wide release in the U.S.

I told you in March to go see it, I figured 4 months was enough time. Sorry you got spoiled though, it is still really good, because Brie Larson is just amazing in it.

I saw this today without knowing anything about it. Seeing it all unfold was pretty amazing. And I loved that after everything is over, the movie still keeps going. And digs into uncomfortable aftermaths that no one wants to see. I thought that was really well handled.

I just saw this last night on Amazon Prime and was blown away. Just a great sad, happy, poignant film about loss, suffering and enduring through the unimaginable and the aftermath. People didn’t like the voice overs here but I really liked them. In fact one of my favorite movie lines now is this one:

There’s no better quote to describe how the boy moved from a world that consisted of just one room with all the time in the world to a whole open universe that seems so limited by time.

After seeing this, I’m also excited about Larson playing Captain Marvel in the MCU. Quite a catch there for them.

Yeah, I think she is moving towards “America’s Sweetheart” status, taking the reigns away from J-Law, and possibly Anna Kendrick.