Should I uninstall old nvidia drivers on vista before installing new ones?

On Windows XP, they highly recommended you uninstalling your old nvidia graphic driver whenever you would upgrade your video driver. But I went to install the latest nvidia graphic driver, and according to the documentation they don’t say anything about whether it’s recommended for Vista, but they do for xp.

So if I install the new nvidia graphic driver for vista without uninstalling the old one, should that be ok? Or is it better for me to uninstall the old driver first?

I’ve always just updated right over my previous Nvidia Vista drivers and never had a problem.

They effectively uninstall it for you. They didn’t used to do this, which is why you had to manually uninstall, but their driver installer finally got some intelligence.

Not quite right. When the driver is installed for the support device(s), Windows is actually unloading the current driver in favor of the new one, but no true uninstall occurs. You’d get a bunch more screen flashes if it was uninstalled first. On Vista, the old driver is still in the driver store, and should be used in the case you performa rollback.

With that said, driver overinstall is quite safe nowadays.

And so we slip further and further away from our frontier days, from out bootdisks and Extended Memory Management. Soon, pagefile management will be unnecessary, and systems will overclock themselves.