Skyrim: The Builds Thread!

Don’t start that, if you stir it up contrary people will open 1000 joke threads and we’ll be in it up to our necks.

I wish there were a calculator that limited the builds by the rules in the game. In the game you can’t just plop points into perks until you are at the appropriate level to unlock them as well as having the prerequisite perk checked. The IGN one has the same flaw.

One general comment for people using calculators or planning a build: you might discover you don’t need all the perks in each tree. I’ll probably end the game with 3-4 in stealth, 5-6 in one-handed. I might not even max out archery because I’m not sure I want the 50% time slow perk. I also open every lock but haven’t taken a single perk in that skill. If I get into alchemy I doubt I’ll take any of those either.

Some of the combat perks have 5 levels of damage increase. I’ve only taken enough of those to feel comfortable at my current difficulty level. The unique perks are far more interesting than just doing additional base damage. Hey, we’re not trying to recreate Oblivion here!

Keep that in mind and you’ll have more perks to play with. It’s worked for me. I’ve already branched into smithing (light armor side only) and I’m thinking about alteration.

A discussion of what perks NOT to pick might be fruitful. For example, I can see no good reason to ever pick a perk in the lockpicking tree. My totally non-thiefy Nord tank has been able to pick every single lock he’s come across, no problem.

The treasure hunter perk, available at lockpick skill 70, is pretty interesting (50% greater chance of finding special treasure).

Uhhh… what’s the point of a build calculator if you’re going to limit it to the prerequisite skill level?

And no, you can’t check perks without checking the previous perk in the chain. The calculator is fine.

Yes, and just like the combat damage (or damage resistance) perks, you have to be careful how you go about making the game easier. I already have 99+ lockpicks and I’m still enjoying the minigame, so why make locks easier?

I thought about it, but the loot I want is too specific anyway. Maybe it’s useful for someone who wanted to roleplay a true thief or make as much money as possible (just for fun). Combine it with speech perks to increase shopkeeper funding.

I really like the idea of that speech tree, by the way, even if I won’t put any perks into it. Now they just need a bank like Nehrim, which also had an underdeveloped investment system.

I’m assuming you use the calculator to see where your build should go, correct?

If a perk in-game doesn’t allow you to choose it unless you’re a certain level, then what good is the calculator if it lets you choose the perk with no regard to you level? It’s allowing you to build a character that cannot exist in the game without cheats.

Edit: NVM. Saw it in the upper right corner.

This is my current build at lvl. 41 http://skyrimcalculator.com/#2742

I had to turn it up to expert at about lvl. 25 after sneak archery turned out to be so powerful, and now its about right for how I play this build.

I find it very versatile. I use poisons, enchants and shouts to apply the magical effects I need, and when in melee its mace + resto with a dash of shadow warrior witch gives me a lot of time and space to dance around and kill.
Although sneak + archery turned out to be imba, its my preferred playstyle, allowing me to scout around then open up in the manner of my choosing.

Dude… that’s not even the point. The point of a build calculator is to plan what you might want to do. The whole process is implicit in the notion that you’re not going to do it all at once.

Christ, this really isn’t hard to understand.

And yes, good catch, it does show the skill level needed at the top right.

And Khajits, too.

Is there any way to respec?

Console commands:

help “$perk$” 0
player.addperk $perk$
player.removeperk $perk$

Must be added/removed in order.

I understand, but I also think it would be hilarious to walk up and see how porcupine’d up an enemy is after 5+ arrows. Plus you get the hunter perk or whatever and you don’t have to worry about ammo as much.

I meant in-game… playing on the 360.

Are you all playing on Adept and talking about how powerful your melee or stealth build is? Turn it up to Master and see what changes. Wouldn’t be surprised to hear that suddenly it wasn’t so great!

Dual casting for most mage schools besides destruction and maybe illusion.
Fire perk causing enemies to flee at low health
Destruction rune perk (dumbest perk ever)
Restoration regeneration perk
Right side of the enchanting tree
Bound weapon perks for pure mage

Dunno about non-mage perks, I haven’t taken any.

They are for in game, but I didn’t realize you were playing the crippleware version! As far as I know, there’s nothing you can do on a console to unfuck your perks or anything else.

edit: http://skyrimcalculator.com/#2796

There’s a link to most of my perks. I think I have a few in enchanting, but fuck if I remember where. That’s a pretty good guide to which perks are useful as a mage.

bound bow. don’t need to worry about arrows.

Yup, Lockpicking is the tree that immediately jumps to mind when I think “worthless.” Maybe if it had included a unique aspect, like making your own traps or something. Otherwise, just l2p the minigame. You should have half a million lockpicks through normal play.

Half of the Heavy Armor tree sucks (hint: the part that’s not about armor). But but but the weightless thing! Well, one, you have to wade through two shitty perks to get to it, and two…

Another source of the same effect…

The Steed stone does the exact same thing AND gives you another 100 carry cap.

Really, Sneak would be half-worthless too if it weren’t for Shadow Warrior, which literally breaks the AI. All that stuff you see on the track to Shadow Warrior? Get an item with Muffle on it. It does the exact same thing. Oh, and there’s the roll, but if you need it you’re already caught.

Pickpocket. Fun tree, but the skill sucks. 90% cap on chance to steal means you’ll be loading your save a fuckton. And yeah, you can just kill the witnesses, but if you’re going to do that, why didn’t you just kill the guy in the first place? Hell, it’s even easier since all his stuff is then tagged non-stolen. Remember, you can sell gear to anyone if it’s covered in blood, but it’s very obvious when something has been stolen or not.

Illusion is pretty much all-or-nothing, which is disappointing. It’s basically the casting skill line and then six perks dedicated to making your Fear, Frenzy, and Calm affect higher level targets. Boring.

Nope. No legitimate respecs.

…which makes it worthless. Everyone must resist breaking the stealth AI too much! I think it will ruin your appreciation of the game.

Cant you connect a USB keyboard on the 360?