Space Station 13 - "Tread squeakily; and carry a big toolbox"

Space Station 13 is a station located in a universe unlike our own. The aim is to keep the station in one piece and follow the objectives dictated by the current gamemode. There is no limitation to the time a round can last. The shortest time being around 15 minutes or as long as a few hours. This however is assuming everyone does their job and are not killed/forced to abandon the station. There are many ways to live and many ways to die inside (and outside) of the space station. Being sucked in to a singularity, zapped by a wizard, gibbed and served as burgers by the chef and even getting your butt stolen because some asshole roboticist wanted to make buttbots.

Secret
In short, any of the following modes can happen. This is to make sure you do not know if you should go and arm yourself to the teeth to fight against aliens or stop a syndicate member from stealing the stations blueprints and jet-packs.

Traitor
Centcom: Enemy Transmission Intercept - Security Level Elevated
One of the most common gamemodes played has a high chance of being picked in secret mode.
Syndicate agent have infiltrated the station and have already assumed their disguises within the station. A Syndicate agent must follow a set of goals delivered at the start of the round.
The goals include but are not limited to the following:

• Assassination: Kill a member of the crew in secrecy
  • Theft: Steal a following item
    Jet-pack, Captains Uniform, Rapid Construction Device, Captains Laser Gun, Hand Teleporter, Magnetic Boots, Station Blueprints, NASA Void Suit, Functional AI, Optical Thermal Scanners, Hypospray
  • Escape Alone: Allow no one but yourself to escape on the shuttle. This does not always have to mean kill everyone. Simple sabotage can hinder escape efforts as well.

Often there are multiple traitors with conflicting goals such as stealing the station blueprints or kill a member of staff.

Changeling
Centcom: N/A
“The Thing” is pretty much how to sum up this gamemode. It looks like one of us but it isn’t. The changelings goal is to consume DNA of crew members. Any crew member he consumes, he can transform into at will. A changeling must be stealthy and have a plan. Find an isolated victim and devour in secrecy. A changeling has an array of built-in natural weapons which can be changed and used in an instant such as paralysis and blind.

Nuclear Emergency
A team of two to five Syndicate agents have the goal to steal the Nuclear Authentication disk and detonate the bomb within the space station. The members of the station have to stop the agents. Game usually turns into team death-match (however this is a bad approach)

Game Ending Conditions:

• Shuttle leaves with Nuclear Authentication disk on board - Crew wins
  • Shuttle leaves without the disk - Draw
  • Bomb Detonates - Syndicates win

Revolution

Power to the people. A group of people are fed up with the Heads of the station.

• Revolution Leaders start off with a flash. Flash crew to persuade them to join your fight
  • Revolutionaries can be identified by a red R on their character. Only revolutionaries can see this.
  • Some can not be flashed (Security Officer, Detective, Heads of staff, Captain

Game Ending Conditions:

• Command staff are eliminated (Head of Personnel, Head of Security, Research Director, Chief Engineer, Captain). Revolutionaries win
  • Revolution Leaders die. Crew wins

Wizard
Centcom: There is a Space Wizard aboard the station.
This is a very rarely played gamemode.
A space wizard has infiltrated the station! A wizard is much like traitor mode in which he has a goal to steal or destroy a part of the station and escape on the shuttle. The wizard comes with an arsenal of spells which can manipulate time and space. There may be an apprentice at times also.

Game Ending Conditions:

• Wizard and apprentices die. Crew wins
  • Shuttle leaves without wizard completing objectives. Draw
  • Wizard completes objectives and escapes. Wizard/Apprentices win

Alien
Aliens are invading the ship! You must accept your call to arms and defend the ship at all costs against the space scum. Random players are chosen as aliens and must gain access to the ship and destroy the inhabitants.

Game Ending Conditions:

• Heads and AI die. Aliens win
  • Alien Queen dies. Humanity wins

Misc
Other chances involve having Rogue AI, Meteor showers, wormholes, blackouts, gladiator fights in a huge maze and many more possible ways to make life hard in general.

Jobs
Jobs
List taken from TG station
Captain, Head of Personnel, Head of Security, Security Officer, Warden, Detective, Lawyer, Chief Engineer, Station Engineer, Atmospheric Technician, Janitor, Quartermaster, Cargo Technician, Shaft Miner, Botanist, Research Director, Chief Medical officer, Medical Doctor, Chemist, Geneticist, Virologist, Roboticist, Scientist, Assistant, Bartender, Chef, Clown, Mime, Chaplain, Librarian, AI, Cyborg, Personal AI, Ghost

Enemies
Nuclear Agent, Changeling, Xenomorph, Wizard, Death Squad Officer, Space Ninja.

Download
Register
Server list

A guide can be invaluable in your first few attempts at playing as the game can be a little unwieldy at first, so pick a job and see what it involves before you choose it in a round, or if you spontaneously get turned into a wizard or something, you can read up on what exactly you can do:

Guided as fuck

Heck of a first post.

Tom M

I’ll update the thread with some ingame pictures and videos later.

I never knew about this or beyond in generall. This game looks like a cool social experiment in the ballpark of Battlestar Galactica. I wonder if a version will be written to do that. But you definately got me curious. I found the awesome RPS AAR here:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/tag/space-station-13/

Tom M

Heh. This looks like fun. More research needed.

The game has a lot of room for creativity and lends itself really well to Lets Play series. These are two of my favorites (both on the Gibbed/goon stations):

InfiniteMonkeysSA - Some interesting Traitor/Changeling/etc. rounds. Explains his goal for the round and narrates his betrayals and manipulations along the way.

PlumpHelmetPunk - RP-ish narrations of rounds as various professions. There are a few videos of some of the weirder rounds (chaos dunk, etc.) as well. These playlists are from various versions of the Gibbed stations:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCBB0502DA388291C - Mushroom Station
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5205DD4A4682C6F7 - Donut Station
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2C621C91328695E9 - Ovary Outpost (oldest)

A friend got me into SS13 a few times a while ago, and we had a lot of fun. I might go back now and see what has changed. Once you get past the learning curve and the clunky interface, it’s an amazing game. It’s surprising that there are no MMOs with a similar theme (albeit less room for creativity).

For anyone that hasn’t played this, the interface is almost harder to learn/discern than Dwarf Fortress. Don’t let that stop you, but don’t go in expecting to know how to do anything without reading the Wiki.

popcorn.gif

This is my favourite video

my head hurts…but in a good way. I might have to see about giving this a go sometime.

I remember how a while ago, the clown got removed from a server. After weeks of playing I found out there was a hidden clown suit somewhere, I went on a treasure hunt for. I found it eventually, and the admins found out. They changed half the crew into clowns with the goal of killing me. I had the rest of the crew on my side, though. I managed to hold all the clowns off and managed to kill alot of them using a fire extinguisher. But I knew I couldn’t stop them all this way. I had to make a plan, and I got one. The Bridge (restricted area) door was open, so I filled it with flamable gasses. I lured the clowns inside and let them come at me. I honked once and used my lighter.

There’s some discussion of this game on the latest One Life Left game club episode, which is themed round work (it also features Cart Life among others). Sounded very interesting.

So, who’s setting up a QT3 server?

What exactly do you do in this game? I have watched some segments of some videos, and all I see are people wandering around and occasionally dragging or shooting things.

You are the crewmember of a Space Station. Its a sandbox game, so you can do whatever you choose to. You are expected to do the job you get assigned to, though. It’s not a very safe either. There are baddies around that want to sabotage the station in a number of different ways.

The one thing I’m not clear on… The other characters, are they NPCs, or are they all players?

They’re all players.

Well, got to play on a server for a bit… The interface is going to take some getting used to, but it was interesting to walk around and be the station Quartermaster.

From watching 5 minutes of videos… this is like a Dwarf Fortress Mafia game, in space?

Players are running around in various roles that are quite complicated and meanwhile some of them are working against other players. Is that right?

I had some fun playing as the station quartermaster. Had one of my cargo techs who kept trying to slip in orders for weapons, at which point I reported him to security and had him arrested. The syndicate still managed to summon the escape shuttle and tried to steal the data disk they were tasked for, but they failed. In another game I spent my time sitting at the quartermasters desk just waiting and listening to the comm chatter. POwer went out, heard the shuttle get summoned and ordered my cargo staff to the shuttle. Syndicate won that round, as they managed to get the disk out on the shuttle without being identified as syndicate. It was an interesting game.