Stephen Colbert is taking over The Late Show

I have a magnet on my fridge door with the promotional poster for the Dabba Don episode.

“YOU’RE DEAD TO ME, CAN OPENER!”

Hahahahahahaa

From everything I’ve seen or heard of Stephen Colbert out of character, he’s highly intelligent, genuine, and personable. His years of playing his character have given him a lot of experience in thinking quickly on his feet. He’s also a prolific and very proficient comedy writer. I’m fairly sure that he has more than enough of the tools required to be a good late night host, whether in or out of character.

However, it would be entertaining (and probably confusing) for Stephen Colbert, host of the Late Show, to have guest appearances by “Stephen Colbert”, host of the Colbert Report.

I can’t imagine that being green-lit by the network though.

I oftentimes find myself yelling that out when something is stressing me out. It’s my version of “SERENITY NOW!”.

I hear ya, I sometimes go BACKOFF at stuff that’s stressing me out, or “MINDTAKING” when I guess something correctly. God I miss that show, I should rewatch it all again (The DVDs are totally worth having).

A few years ago Colbert conducted a lengthy interview w/ Neil deGrasse Tyson, not in character, and was as funny and sharp as always.

Heresy, I know, but I’ve never really been a big fan of the Colbert Report. Staying in character really limited what he could do with the show, especially when compared directly to the Daily Show. The character is solid, and his 2006 Press Correspondents Dinner gig is one of the all time achievements in political satire, but I thought the show wore out its welcome after the first season or so.

I was a fan of him before the show, both his appearances on the Daily Show (where he often used elements of the same character, but was able to experiment more because the characters of the reporters don’t have to stay consistent between segments) and his voice work. I was actually kind of irritated with him when he decided to quit playing Professor Impossible on the Venture Bros, mostly because his publicist’s statement (“Mr. Colbert has neither the time nor the inclination to continue working on your show”) seemed very haughty.

The late night talk show format isn’t really groundbreaking, and I don’t expect to follow it any more closely than the other shows (which is to say I watch Youtube clips when something unusually awesome happens), but I’m glad to see him getting a chance to try something different.

I hope they drop everyone associated with the Letterman show and bring in a whole new team. Letterman’s beat a joke into the ground for weeks schtick (Chris Christie is fat! And how about that Alex Rodriguez!) hasn’t been funny in years.

Hey, if that’s the metric, Colbert has been flogging the same joke for years.

Colbert sustained the same schtick, but not the same joke. There’s a difference. The easy shots at Christie’s weight weren’t funny, they were just lazy.

Here’s a really good (and old) interview with him.

Letterman will always be a comedy legend.

Colbert said his whole writing team is moving to the new show. I’m sure when it comes down to it, there will be a few changes, but it looks like he’s moving the team as wholly as possible to CBS with him.

Well, to be fair, it would probably be fair to assume most of those folks are evangelical fundamentalists, and to them Catholicism isn’t Christianity. (Although I’ve occasionally heard rumors that it may be softening a little as they ally against the Kenyan Muslim Usurper’s evil plan to give everyone healthcare and equal access to the benefits of marriage.) So burn the heretic.

They’ve actually been close allies since the 80s. Prior to that, Evangelicals had no bone to pick with abortion and contraception–it was their concession to their allies, though most of them nowadays refuse to believe that the doctrine was ever any different. But I don’t think their alliance has really resulted in much rapproachment; they’re pretty happy to agree to disagree about which one of them will be burning in Hell.

Another white, straight, male is taking over a late night spot? Where is the diversity?!

I saw somebody post that on facebook today. That’s probably my favorite response(s) to Corbert replacing Letterman.

Im curious if Comedy Central will keep the Colbert Report running once Colbert leaves. They could put somebody else in his place and have Colberts name still on it. They could even run a shtick were Colbert has some legal grounds to force them to run the show under his name. I could see it happening.

They’ve already said that’s not happening.

Yup. There is no Colbert Report without Colbert. However, it’s just too bad that John Oliver decamped for HBO so recently. If he had held on just a bit longer, he’d probably get to develop a new show for the timeslot. But, hey, he has his own show on HBO now!