The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Supposedly the cover story for the new game informer. Bullet points shamelessly stolen from neogaf-

World supposedly 20% bigger than Skyrim’s
30-40 minutes to cross world on Horseback
New streaming technology (CDRED Engine 3)
Geralt’s Memory is restored
No chapters/acts
Dude is fucking DONE fighting for everyone else
Everything from solving MYSTERIES to slaying monsters
Coming out on “all top-of-the-line” consoles - I’d say that confirms next-gen is in.

And perhaps most importantly… Geralt can grow a beard.

Annnnnd I’m spent.

CDPR is supposed to be revealing their stuff tomorrow too, if the hidden freezeframe in the Cyberpunk 2077 trailer can be believed.

Can’t wait!

I’d be satisfied with being able to get a haircut so he doesn’t look so much like the sax player from Lost Boys.

-Tom

Ugh. Sounds too good and reminds me that I’ve still got to start, play and finish Witcher 2. It’s installed and everything!

Well now I can’t unsee it. Well, anywhere Geralt goes is the murder capital of the world, and strigas are pretty much vampires anyway, so all he needs is a couple Coreys and he’s set.

Loved the “solving mysteries” thing, too.

Act II of The Witcher 1 is called Vizima Confidential, and the main story quests and characters are all sly nods to Raymond Chandler and James Ellroy.

Come to think of it, I’d love to see CDPR take a shot at treading the same ground as LA Noir…

What the hell is wrong with you, Blips? What the hell is wrong with you?

Heh. Just kidding*.

• no, I’m not.

You can do that in the Witcher 2, actually. Since the first content patch they put in, I believe.

EDIT: can also do that in the 360 version.

Debatable if they are improvements.

It has been months and the doctors still can’t tell me a thing!

They are improvements. Even the lower half ponytail at least makes him look less like the sax player in Lost Boys. I tend to go with the Elven “ponytails are for girls” look.

Wild hunt… for the ladies.

Seriously though, Skyrim is pretty big. That’s its thing. Other than showing off, I wonder why they’re trying to make a world in this franchise 20% bigger than Skyrim.

In CDPRed I trust. I’m going to drink all of the potions. All of them.

I just hope that more people read the actual story than the bullet points hacked together on your gaming news aggregator of choice.

My mother always told me I was an idealist :(

Me too!

Why not? The fiction is so much bigger in scope than what we’ve seen as players in the first two games. Why wouldn’t you want to make those other areas of the world available to players?

And if they truly are taking out the concept of “chapters” or “acts” to structure things internally, why not take a stab at something bigger and grander in scope? Each of the first two games have been “bigger”. TW1 is almost completely set in and around one city–Vizima. TW2 expands things a little by giving us a handful of set pieces, but confining us to those (admittedly not small) areas. Why not expand things further now, if you can?

You’ve always done outstanding work championing the worthiest aspects of the series in GI. I hope my reading between the lines of this post tells me that there’s a lot of stuff to digest about the new game!

I just finished Witcher 2, and I’m unimpressed. Gonna get this in the bargain bin, too.

I cannot wait to read the whole story. Release it on the website already dammit!
Sounds like my GOTY 2014 is set.

Maybe because the land of Skyrim is seriously tiny? :p

• I’m not suggesting it’s not absolutely stuffed with content. On the contrary, the main gamespace is packed so tight with stuff that it kind of kills the game’s verisimilitude. Which, to me at least, is a pretty good argument for a significantly larger one, if the amount of content is comparable.