Video card: DVI to monitor HDMI out to JUST audio?

So I have a new 980TI, I have my old 1080p monitor hooked up via DVI, it works fine. I have also 2 display ports and an HDMI out on the card. I want to send the HDMI to my receiver for surround sound. Doing that tho it identifies that I now have 2 monitors hooked up, despite the fact that there is no monitor past the receiver. Worse, it makes the HDMI display display #1. So I can see the black background of Display 2, and see all of the stuff in my menu bar, but I can’t tell the settings window to swap to display #2! And I can’t reverse them because I don’t have a display to swap to.

I could hook up an HDMI monitor to it temporarily but where is the fun in that? Anyone got an easier more permanent fix?

Do you not have an optical out that you could run to the receiver?

Windows 10 does not support Surround sound over optical. I’m using it now for stereo.

Welcome to the future!

(No, seriously, it doesn’t? Good lord. How is that even possible? Good thing I didn’t go with that plan with my speaker replacement.)

I know, right?

It looks like Soundblaster and MS might have gotten that working, I am downloading new drivers now, tho the X-Fi is officially EOLed. Will see if that works, but still, I’d like to figure this one out with the HDMI way.

Do you have one of these lying around (may have come with the GPU even).

Then just attach the monitor via the receiver.

The other thing you can try is disabling the HDMI monitor via the display/resolution settings (pic below is win8.1), or the win+p hotkey:

s

Then go to sound settings and see if you can set the 980 HDMI to default audio (hopefully without it re-enabling the monitor):

That’s what you aren’t getting. I cannot bring the Win P display up. It is showing on display 1, the HDMI port, despite there being no monitor attached. DVI defaults to Display 2. There is no way that I know of to force Windows Options to show on all screens, or to get it to change displays.

Rather than buy a DVI to HDMI cable I will hook an older HDMI monitor up to my receiver tomorrow, f it.

In the mean time, I downloaded the unofficial SB drivers off of “Daniel’s” site and they worked. I hope there is no malware on there. F Soundblaster/Creative and their shitty support. =)

Thanks for the input tho both of you, it’s very appreciated!!!

Ah yeah, that be a pain alright!

Try:

win+p, up arrow, enter

or:

win+p, up arrow, up arrow, enter

If it is defaulting to second screen only (HDMI), one of the above should at least switch to duplicate, extend, or the other monitor.

I used to have to do that trick just to wake a monitor that would refuse to wake KVM.

You can always Win+Shift+Right/left arrow to bring it to your active screen.

Will try both methods tonight, thanks!

Yeah that totally didnt work. I added a second monitor temorarily and it looks like in Win 10 it’s up and down not left and right and you need to actually select it. What a flipping PITA. Sticking with optical for now…

Quick update: took the piece of shit sound blaster out of the loop. 989ti to receiver vi HDMI, HDMI to DVI out to monitor. All good now