Wayward Pines, TV series starring Matt Dillon, launching in 2015

Yeah, she’s been busy–isn’t (wasn’t?) she on that other show with Ryan Phillipe where he’s a murder suspect or something?

I didn’t think the explanation was terribly plausible but there is an explanation.

I meant plausible in terms of the science but maybe that’s what you mean, too. I guess we’ll have to hold off on picking it apart until it’s revealed in the TV series, but I’m looking forward to hearing the explanation get critiqued here.

You’re probably right, actually. Maybe my memory of all the particulars isn’t sharp.

I broke down and watched the first episode. It’s surprisingly faithful to the novels. I have issues with it, but I’m not worried yet.

For once, I know what the GRRM readers might have been feeling when GOT began airing, only on a smaller and less significant scale.

I didn’t realize this had started. I guess I will see whether it is available On Demand.

According to the listings here, next week they appear to be rebroadcasting the first episode immediately prior to the new one.

The first episode is available on Fox.com (theoretically, since the “sign in with your tv provider” part wouldn’t load for me) and on Hulu.

Watched it, thought it was ok, will watch more.

Random thoughts: I agree that Carla Gugino is pretending that she’s been there 12 years. The end of episode ‘reveal’ isn’t much of a surprise since it was in the trailers for the show (I hate how they do that). Also, why are there no crickets? That’s plain weird.

Finally a series where I read the books. This is fun to watch people guessing.

This got a mention on NPR’s All Things Considered last night.

Is the series covering all the books or just the first one?

Finally watched this On Demand. It’s okay. I don’t know if I’m going to stick with it. I feel like I’ve gotten my fill of shows in which super weird implausible shit happens and the mystery is padded out by having no one ask the pertinent questions.

For example, when the sheriff tells Dillon that he can’t leave, and the bike rider passes by to tell him the First Rule, why doesn’t Dillon immediately ask “What the fuck is going on in this fucked up town? Why is there a wall around the perimeter?”

I had the exact same reaction after the first episode, then I just read the 3 books in a week because it was on my reading list. Fun stuff, if not amazing or anything.

The show so far looks to be sticking very close to them in terms of a time line and subject matter. If they keep up this pace then episode 3 looks to be half way through the first book and that’s when stuff goes off the rails. The good news is that at least the books avoid the lost trap. There is a very definite answer to your questions. You may not like it, but I found the implications pretty fun.

Slight spoilers.

I thought the third episode was pretty strong. Bringing in his family was a smart move, instead of keeping the two plots separate. Show is starting to take a more supernatural approach, with whatever those creatures are. Some very definite questions about time, with events feeling like they happened over 12 years for Kate, a year or two for Agent Evans, and only a few weeks for Ethan. So, it’s possible that when Ethan thought he hallucinated seeing his wife/son he actually saw them, but due to time inconsistencies that actually hadn’t happened outside Wayward Pines yet.

I like that the show is moving along quickly; they’re not dragging out plotlines. And, from the sounds of things in this thread, the plot does have a resolution.

It’d need a few seasons to do all, I have not yet seen the show but I really thought the books felt like they could be a great TV show, and I enjoyed them as a ‘weird thriller’ - I like the author’s stuff quite a bit.

Caught up on all 3 episodes, it’s way way way better than the DOME.

Ha ha, you guys are watching Wayward Pines.

Just to make sure I didn’t fall into that trap, I went ahead and Googled spoilers about What The Heck Is Going On. I’m a little sorry I didn’t just stick with it. Only a little, though.

-Tom

Tried to tell you it didn’t fall for the lost trap, and at the pace they are moving with in comparison to the books you should start to be able to figure things out well before the end of the first season.

The books end on a massive cliff hanger which is annoying, the TV series could easily continue there and make for some great TV. Given the rate they are churning through content I could see it happening within 3 seasons easily, if not 2.

Woah, major reveal tonight. One nitpick though: a certain process they allude to takes waaay longer to work in nature than the time period mentioned.

Did they specify that it was natural?

Nothing anybody does in this show makes any goddamn sense. I’m getting pretty tired of it, but it seems like we’re at a pivot point, so I’ll probably watch the next episode though.

shocking reveal

There’s just no reason to keep the adults ignorant, but yet also terrified for their lives. The adults don’t have any pretense of normalcy, they’re all just play-acting. But whose benefit are they play-acting for? Not the kids, who the “ark” is ostensibly built for. The kids don’t have any pretense of normalcy because they know the world has ended, so they have to watch their parents pretend that it’s normal for their own benefit?

It’s a farce, in the literal Moliere-comedy sense.

I guess the scientist guy is a maaaaaad maaaaaaan, so that hand-waves away any reasonable objection?

Also, they continue to have no orientation for adults whatsoever. The stupid rules that everybody is supposed to follow (answer the phone, don’t talk about the past, etc.) They never told them to Agent Growly McGrowlson, they never told them to his wife (maaaaaayyyyybe justifiable because he’s clearly an “experimental” case), but they also never told the new construction worker guy. How’s he supposed to learn the rules then?

“Hey, guy who just woke up from a coma, how are you? This is a weird town that you can’t leave because the road is a loop, and there’s a huge wall if you go far enough into the woods. Also, there are weird animal sounds coming from outside. On the other hand, here’s a free house, and your fridge always gets magically re-stocked when you aren’t looking, so it isn’t too bad, is it? You probably won’t have a job until somebody dies or something, so maybe pick up a hobby like whittling or try learning the piano in the meantime. Also, if you break the rules you’ll be executed. What are they? No idea, I think there’s a tiny printout of them in the toy store. Enjoy!”

Most of the mystery in this show is constructed purely for the benefit of the audience: there’s no good in-world explanation for people acting the way they do other than to be spooooooooky to the viewer. I just hate that conceit. You can hear the director shouting at you “It’s a mystery!” rather than just letting the mystery exist.