We need a forum logo

Tom has decreed (and I agree, for what it’s worth) that the Q23 front page nav will go here:

That will be the standard q23 eyeball logo which represents the front page. Clicking it will… wait for it… take you to the q23 front page at Quarter to Three - All games, all the time. Except for the bits about movies.

So that means the logo at the far left, which represents the forum, and is already (incorrectly) the q23 eyeball, needs to change. We need to help Tom build a logo that specifically represents The Quarter To Three Forums.

Which then raises the question, what’s the best icon for the left side of the screen to represent going to the top level of the forum?

Well, forums are generally represented by some kind of “talk bubble” like so:

http://forum-cdn.quartertothree.com/uploads/default/original/2X/d/d16b89a0cb714c1cf9fa8aa41564291557f3dd3d.png

Tom said:

So, yeah, let’s go with the eyeball icon going to the front page and a new icon in the upper left for the forum. How about some sort of up arrow, implying going to the top?

Turn Up Icon | Font Awesome
Arrow Up Icon | Font Awesome
Up Long Icon | Font Awesome
Square Caret Up Icon | Font Awesome
Circle Chevron Up Icon | Font Awesome

I kind of like that last one, the chevron/circle up, as a counterpart to the eyeball on the other side of the page. What do you guys think?

So, if you are feeling artistic, whip up something that represents “the q23 forums” specifically, more than just the q23 eyeball, which represents the q23 homepage.

Of course Tom has absolute final say in all of this, but I thought it would be nice to open it up to the community and see what we can brainstorm together for Tom to peek at. Whip up your best effort in the paint program of your choice and let’s see what happens!

I have no artistic skills other than inappropriate stick figures in MS paint.

So just to get a better idea of what Tom wants, maybe something like this that I found on iconfinder? But with a Qt3 feel?

I present a conceptual design. You may have it royalty-free:

Well, we could just slap an arrow on a Tapir and call it a day…

What the hell is with Tapir’s? I’ve seen it come up a few times since the move, but it is before my time I think.

How about something that shows the forum with an Up Arrow?

Okay, look. . . I don’t know if this was a joke or whatever.

BUT THAT NEEDS TO BE THE OFFICIAL QT3 LOGO FOR ALL TIME FOREVER OMFG

The tapir…it was a joke.

But in all seriousness, how about some forum category colour, venn diagram goodness, representing the diversity of conversation and interests we have going on around here and their overlaps.

Maybe another anatomy piece to go with the bloodshot eye, like this one I just stole from Google Images.

Animated speechbubble that alternates between:
WtGDFHAYSTA!?!
Shit bonerz!!!
Fixed that for you.
Where is the like button?

I’d not so humbly suggest something along the lines of what I scraped together some years ago using BF’s clan tag maker on EA’s site. Broad vectors without too much detail like the eyeball I quickly threw togetherl:

I don’t think it should be anything that resembles, could be confused for, or supplant the official QT3 eye. It needs to be more obviously a UI element, so the arrow should be more obvious as an indication it serves a functional purpose. I dunno, less imagey and more icony?

Round two of the venn, smaller overall element, larger arrow, but not so small as to be a difficult target for mouse or finger.

I like your logo but I think it suffers when reduced to a size small enough to put in the header. All of the overlapping circle colors sort of blend into a grayish blob when reduced, so to me it looks like colors around the circumference of the circle and an arrow in the middle on top of a grayish blob of color.

Ok… my sad MS paint attempt…

Agreed, and I like the direction you’re going incorporating the colours from the categories here.

I’ve got an idea but I’m a bit busy at the moment. Will try and knock something up later. Shouldn’t take long.

Edit: oh and I’m a graphic designer by the way, so this sort of thing is my day job :-D

Yeah, I don’t entirely disagree.

Maybe just a good old Trivial Pursuit pie (this one is a very quick hack job, hence the wonky black outline…):

Thank fuck for that. Have you any idea how much faffing about I had to do to get a six circle venn diagram put together without 1337 photoshop skills and failing to even install Inkscape to boot! Not that Inkscape would have helped on account of me never having actually used it…

I have great respect for people that can just throw this shit together, making competent use of all the tools at their disposal.