Welcome to the new Quarter to Three forum

Welp, here we are! The same Quarter to Three forum members, but riding in a shiny and perhaps unfamiliar new car. It looks different and, oh boy, does it handle different. So if you have any issues with the software – and I can almost 100% guarantee that you’ll have issues – here’s a thread for us all to help each other get adjusted. I can also almost 100% guarantee that whatever issue you have is somehow resolved in the software itself. Once you get to know it, Discourse is powerful, limber, friendly, and even downright sexy.

If you’re seeing this from outside your account, when you try to log in using your old username, you’ll be asked for a password. Your first instinct might be to type in the same password you used on vBulletin. THIS IS THE WRONG THING TO DO. We have no way of seeing passwords, so we have no way of importing them. Therefore, the first step is using Discourse’s “I forgot my password” feature. At which point you’ll be sent an email – check your spam filter if it doesn’t show up right away – with a link to reset your password. Assuming your email was updated on the previous forum, everything should go smoothly. If that’s not the case, don’t hesitate to get in touch with me at [email protected]. I’ll make sure we get you in.

Also, we’re having some issues with emails bouncing from certain domains. Hello, Comcast! If that’s happening to you, if you’re not getting your reset password email, you might have to temporarily use a gmail account while we get it sorted out. Send me the gmail address you’d like to use – make sure you contact me from the email address currently registered to your account – and I’ll get you set up.

Two years ago, I launched a pledge drive that added avatars to Quarter to Three. As long as you donated a dollar, you got to use an avatar on the site. I went from hating avatars to thinking of them as a show of support. It meant a lot to see them on the forum and I appreciate how many of you (248!) participated, and particularly how many of you participated beyond just a dollar. Unfortunately, right before the migration was complete, I was told Discourse doesn’t support this. While I’m sure most of you won’t mind that everyone gets an avatar, I want you to know I fully intended it would carry over. My apologies that this didn’t happen. For what it’s worth, we’re looking at exploring options for people who want to support Qt3 through the Patreon campaign. Whenever we add this stuff, if you feel shortchanged because you donated for an avatar but aren’t able to participate in the Patron campaign, please contact me and I’ll make sure you’re included.

The old vBulletin forum is still online here for the time being. You can log in, look for something, dig up your PMs, that sort of thing. It’ll be frozen at some point.

So welcome and have fun discovering all the cool things we can do in Discourse. I don’t know about you guys, but right now, I feel like a kid on Christmas morning who still has packages under the tree!

-Tom

Yay. Christmas came early!

Huzzah for the shopkeep!

My god. It’s full of stars.

Well, this is going to take a while to get used to.

This feels zippy and quick!

Bah, humbug!

Looks great. I hate to be a downer, but is there a way to turn off avatars? It’s not a big deal but I was wondering.

Yaaaaaaaaaaaay! Best change ever!

Unfortunately, the avatars are part and parcel of Discourse. I’ve already been subjected to a bit of bait and switch about how they work. So I’m afraid not only are you stuck with them, but everyone gets them now.

That said, they used to be these annoyingly chipper little circles. At least we get squares now!

-Tom

Tom, Jeff, Stusser, Clay – I want to thank all you guys. This looks great, and I’m thrilled with the look and changes. Here’s to many more years of kvetching with my favorite internet people.

It’s cool. I will make it my life-long quest to find the best and coolest avatar now. I’m thinking maybe a different letter than M. Perhaps I will appropriate the letter T!

How would I make this my avatar? It’s what started me down this sorry path back in the mid '70’s that eventually led me here.

Congratulations! Here’s to lots of joyful gaming-years!

Mostly a reader/lurker but wanted to say I like the new forums. Have mostly used the forums on phone or tablet and like the way the new format works on both.

Whew mama, it’s ugly, but I guess I’ll get used to it.

What strange voodoo is this?

Hopefully there will be mods or something like that. It’s a bit bright right now. Overall, I don’t think the appearance is any kind of improvement, but I guess there are other things that are nice. The endless scrolling is a bit weird and discomfiting to me, but the little sidebar thing you can drag down helps. My guess is there are enough interesting new features that I will learn to like that will make glad for the change. I am, however, a guy that uses a smartphone primarily for phone calls, light texting, and as a tiny, hard-to-read browser and little else, so I’m something of a Luddite by lack of ambition…

I vote for Brexit back to Vbulletin.

We made it! And I love to be in this shiny new car! Thanks Tom, wumpus, Clay, Scott and whoever else made it possible!