Why does my router need to be reset every 24hr?

I’ve got a Linksys WRT54G v.5 (1.00.4 firmware) and for some damn reason I can’t figure out, I need to manually reset it about every 24hr otherwise I can’t access the net. Could it be something my ISP (Surewest) is doing on their end?

What do you have connected to it?

One PC physically connected to it with 3 others networked via wireless.

I have a similar problem with my Linksys WRT4G. Bittorrent seems to nuke it more frequently, but I still have to cycle the router every few days even if I’m not grabbing a torrent.

That’s bad firmware. I used to have to reset my WRT54g quite often due to crashes and general fuckups before I changed to the SVEASoft firmware. Uptime is measured in months now… Only resets lately have been due to breakers.

Good news everybody! You can now flash the micro-DDWRT to wrt54g v5 routers with no hardware mods.

If you aren’t tech-savvy this is scary stuff, just keep resetting your router every 24 hours, or buy a buffalo whr-54s and load the normal ddwrt, which rocks your socks.

If you’re using bittorrent on any of those computers, that could be causing the router to stall and hang. The WRT54Gv5 has half the RAM and flash memory of previous versions, and probably can’t handle the number of connections.

Here’s a weird one. I have a Netgear WGT624 wireless router and whenever I try to access warrenellis.com over wifi it stops working. I have to power cycle the router to restore function, although the indicator lights look normal the whole time. Ever hear of something like that?

v5 is a turd. The v4 (or something very much like it) is still sold as the WRT54-GL.

Firmware upgrading with HyperWRT Thibor really isn’t difficult, and certainly no harder than using the official one. Just don’t get into the nerdliness surrounding linksys hacking, and you’ll be fine.

Do you have the DNS servers listed in your networking?

DHCP release\renew.
I bet it’s letting go of the address and not picking up the new one like it should.

Another guess is to turn off any auto-sensing for the ethernet ports (which can often interrupt a perfectly fine connection), both on the router and on the wire-connected PC. Set them to full duplex 100 Base-T, and see if that helps. In the PC you do this in the network adaptor advanced settings, and in the router it should be, well, someplace :P

I’m using HyperWRT + Thibor, but I see a lot of people are using DD-WRT, and the support for it seems stronger. Anyone used both and prefer one over the over?

I’m using a WRT54GL.

Their featuresets don’t exactly match, but both firmwares have so many features I’ll never use that it’s ridiculous. Really it comes down to personal preference. I like that ddwrt doesn’t feel constrained by the linksys interface and featureset.

I do think DDWRT is better supported and less likely to be dropped than hyperwrt+thibor, although hyperwrt as a whole is a larger project. Give it a shot, it really does rock your socks.

JMR,
I was having a lot of issues with my WRT54G router as well. I was, like you, having to reset it daily. To fix it I updated to the HyperWRT + Thibor firmware and changed the channel. It seems that as more routers come on line in the neighbourhood, the channel can get crowded.

The folks at utorrent explain it all and how to fix it. I haven’t had any problems since implementing their recommendations from that link.

My wireless routers have exhibited a tendency to go south after a year or two. Resetting and upgrading the firmware delay the inevitable, but eventually they just can’t go on. I guess cheap electronics is a two way street, though, because it sure makes it easy to replace when I can’t take the flakiness anymore.

Geoff

I got one of these and it Rocks:
http://games.dlink.com/products/?pid=370
Depending on your pocketbook or how fast you want to upgrade to the new “N” standard (whenever they get around to approving it) this might hold you for a while.