Windows 10

Found the first thing that annoys me about Windows 10 - if you log into multiple computers with the same Microsoft ID, your screensaver/desktop background settings are mirrored, so my work laptop is now taking pictures from my desktop picture folder and putting them up as the background – I like having a “surprise” picture from that folder on my desktop at home daily, but some of them aren’t exactly awesome photos for a professional office, so I may have to turn it off.

Can this be disabled? The little shitty Lenovo tablet I got through work to test a couple of years back started pulling that when it stealth-upgraded to Win10 (please note; it’s sat plugged in and logged off for the last 6 months with 0 user interaction from me or anyone, yet somehow managed to upgrade itself), but I didn’t feel like fucking with it. But since our actual work computers will be upgraded to 10 by the end of the Fall. . .

I believe if you do WinKey, search for Sync Your Settings, check off Theme, it should keep at least the background picture from carrying across systems. Not sure if that does screensaver or not.

Shutup10 also has toggles for various Win10 cloud syncs. But if you can do it through the Windows UI, you definitely should.

@ArmandoPenblade: I always had it disabled. It’s just so frickin’ useless on the desktop!

@stusser Plus it interferes with SSD boot time dick measuring contests!

#PCMR or whatever

I’m still fiddling, but think you might be able to disable it by going into “settings” and then “acccounts” and turning off “sync your settings”, but unsure if one of the individual options allows you to only turn off the backgrounds (since you may want to retain mail/browser syncing, etc.).

Confirm this works - thanks!

I forced the update via the MCT, and it was largely uneventful. Everything works much like it did before. Sure, Cortana is “there”, but searches aren’t going out to Bing - everything stays local. Plus I replaced the WinKey search with “Wox” anyway. I need to enable Bash, because that is a cool as hell feature and like Armando, I didn’t realize the stupid lock dropscreen could be removed before so I can’t be too annoyed that it is still there.

I may put ShutUp10 back on because I can - I’m still a little wary of mucking with the depths of Win10 too much after my SSD debacle (where it spooled out untold terabytes of writes for no good reason) - I’m pretty sure it was corrupting within Win10 but I never determined how.

The same reason they have the terrible slow clumsy black and white Windows 10 settings windows and the old control panel which is sharp and snappy. Something something tablets touchscreens.

So the Edge browser. Its fast, clean, supports extensions etc.

Yet a year later it still doesn’t remember window size and position after being shut down…I literally can’t use it for this one annoying as hell flaw.

Here’s a way to disable the lock screen aka the password entry delay screen. Set this to 0:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Authentication\LogonUI\SessionData\AllowLockScreen

Only problem is that it only lasts for the next time the computer is locked, so you’d need to keep setting it again after each unlock. I wonder if that’s possible. If someone knows how to set an administrator approved registry change after each unlock (or login), we’re in business.

Interestingly, the old key is still checked twice:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Personalization\NoLockScreen

I tried some non-zero, non-1 likely values, but it’s likely pointless. Reverse engineering winlogin would be the only way to work all this out.

If someone is braver than me, you can delete the way it finds the lock app and see what happens:

HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Lock Screen\LockAppAumId

I’m running bash. Natively. In Windows.

I’m scared.

EDIT: Even tmux works. It came pre-installed. Fetal position engaged.

Want me to blow your mind? i3wm works with a 3rd party x window server.

You should be able to do that as a scheduled task. One of the triggers for a task is ‘On workstation unlock’. You can also set the task to run as another user (ie admin). I was/am doing something similar to mount network drives as local admin mounts so Crashplan can access them.

Save/export the modified key as a .reg file and create a custom .BAT to run as a task silently on unlock with the regedit /s command.

At least that will work on 7+8, should work in 10 as well, I guess.

What lock screen are you guys talking about? The one where you have to enter your password after first booting up? Because I disabled that one permanently by running the netplwiz Microsoft utility after installing and it has never come back. I just boot into the desktop.

Though I’m rarely sitting in front of my computer waiting while it boots, so the screen might still briefly pop up as Win 10 boots (if that’s what you mean).

I don’t have the Anniversary update if that makes a difference though.

Wendelius

God i hate Microsoft. Got my mandatory update tonight, took forever, acted like I just installed Windows 10 which sort of freaked me out a bit… and now Windows can’t search any of my documents… at all. It produces no results every time.

I wonder if wine works.

It seems they changed where the start menu search defaults. It’s acting a little bit more like it did back in Windows 8 (before 8.1). To get a documents search, I had to either click the document icon above the search field or type documents:xxxx where xxxx is the search term.

I have heard that after installing Win10 it can take a little while for the search index on documents to be built up, so there may be some of that going on as well, but there’s definitely been a change to the search functionality as well.

So at least part of the problem for me is that they apparently got rid of the “Search online and include web results” checkbox in the Cortana settings. I think that may be why this behavior changed, but not sure. I’m running Win 10 Enterprise, so I might have something in the group policy editor to get back to normal.

I haven’t tried that search yet, but my update took forever too. And of course I didn’t have an option to postpone it. As soon as I booted up it started.