Wonder Woman 2017 - Beating Marvel to the punch

Directed by Patty Jenkins (Monster) and starring Gal Godot as Wonder Woman and Chris Pine as Steve Trevor.

July 23rd, 2017.

The CW first look: https://youtu.be/i9Ur4De7yT8

For whatever reason, Wonder Woman first comes to “man’s world” during WWI instead of WWII.

My guess is that “whatever reason” is Marvel’s first Captain America film being set during WWII (and Agent Carter being immediately post). This serves to differentiate them.

Except there’s clearly a scene in which she’s fighting WWII Germans, so they go there anyway.

Wish they’d ease up on the color grading.

It’s like, how much more gray could this be? and the answer is none. None more gray.

Also, more Snyder slo-mo combat.

This looks pretty cool, I’m a little more excited after seeing some of the clips here.

Also, I have a sudden urge to bing watch Xena.

As they must.

http://www.harkavagrant.com/index.php?id=275

Wow, the production on that “exclusive first look” was godawful.

“I will now read you lines from our marketing department. Hello, this is a line from our marketing department. Woman. Man. Power.”

Another movie that’s 75 percent slow mo action shots. The run time will be advertised as around 2 hours and 15 minutes. But if you speed up the slow mo sections to normal speeds, it will clock in at 37 minutes.

All you need to do then is wait until the inevitable remake by some internet wizard who will re-record the film at 3x speed and the redub the sound track so it fits. Viola! Theres your 37 minute movie.

Hmm, fighting WW2 Germans with a shield while wearing stars and stripes… where have I seen this character before…

Good catch!

I get that at times WW has used sword and shield in the comics but it’s never worked for me. A shield alone would make her a bit more than a womb enhanced Superman, but shield = Captain America to me, and most people I think. And WW isn’t a ninja/spy/gymnast. I’d like to see her more straight-forwardly using strength and bad-assery than the “Ole’ shit” to toss in a baseball term.

Exciting clip. There’s a bit of worry on the interwebz that they’re not really showing any Gadot acting. Still, at least the question of her physical suitability for the role is now settled, she looks awesome.

Also agree re. the shield, it’s a bit “me too” of DC (even though I appreciate she did sometimes use shield and sword in the comics). What the hell was wrong with her bracelets that she used to use to deflect things, Jedi Knight style? I mean, it must surely be difficult to make bracelet-deflection look good and not goofy, but that’s the sort of thing they’re paid for, goddamit.

I like the sword and shield. It makes her much more mythological/Hellenic in her appearance. The bracelet/lasso combo, coupled with the Linda Carter-style outfit just made her look like some reject from a WW2 USO variety show.

Presumably, the sword and shield are magical (ala the SvB trailer) rather than just unnecessary metal hauled around by a super-human being.

I would kill to see WW squatting in mid air thanks to flying the invisible jet. Please put it in the movie.

How can they show something that doesn’t exist?

OH SNAP.

-Tom

I think the “modern” take on WW has kind of moved away from some of the… er, “kitchier”… aspects of the character. The bracelets have largely been supplanted by making her Superman-esque immune to bullets. The whole magic lasso thing seems to have been put aside for the most part. And depending on the author, she can fly now so the whole “Invisible Jet” thing isn’t used as much either.

Really, Wonder Woman’s powers have been so ill-defined in the last few iterations that everything is on the table. It’ll be interesting to see where they go with her.

Very useful in spelling movie titles like “Gattaca”.