120-144hz LCD monitors?

Anyone use em? Found a site dedicated to them: www.blurbusters.com

Was considering a new Asus one: vg248qe

I have a Samsung 27" 120Hz monitor and I really like it (I think it’s the S27A950 or something like that). My eyes can tell a difference if the game is running at 120fps, but you’ll probably adapt to it quite quickly and not think about it again. 3d is a novelty that you’ll probably grow tired of after playing around with it for a few hours. I think what I love most about my monitor is how vibrant and attractive the colours look on it. I bought my wife a Dell IPS monitor thinking it would be even better, but I still prefer my non-IPS Samsung.

Tim, that’s a TN panel though isn’t it? Unless you’re able to sit straight up and stare froward, it seems like the picture quality is too variable.

REI -great site find. I wish real manufacturers (not having to go to the South Korean secondary market) would just make 120 HZ IPS panels so we wouldn’t have to choose between great looking at any angle vs. performance.

I’ve been using a Samsung 2233RZ for about four years now and would never go back to a display under 120Hz, either for gaming or normal use. It’s incredibly pleasant. Never used 3D so can’t comment on that. I think the monitor was about $400 when I bought it, but it was worth every penny!

Do you notice in 2D using the Windows desktop at all? Or only if you have a beastly GPU setup?

Yes. I definitely notice a difference–much less eye strain, at the very least. The colours aren’t fantastic, but it’s worth it.

I read alot of reports of a noticable difference in Windows operation when researching 120hz monitors back into the day, but other than in games I personally haven’t noticed any difference. Other people seem to have, so FWIW.

Why less eye strain?

It’s not the LCD panels themselves, but the backlight, that can cause problems. But some displays already set LEDs to flicker at high rates when brightness is reduced, so better quality displays may solve the eyestrain problem without necessarily bumping up refresh rate.

It’s not the LCD panels themselves, but the backlight, that can cause problems. But some displays already set LEDs to flicker at high rates when brightness is reduced, so better quality displays may solve the eyestrain problem without necessarily bumping up refresh rate.

It looks like the AMD3D (H3D?) camp is pitiful in terms of support and everything supports nvidia’s Lightboost.

I think I’m going to get the Benq XL2420T since there’s a Strobelight hack or something that eliminates blur with 2D gaming. So even though the monitor won’t work for any AMD (I have Crossfire 7970) 3D gaming, it may help with 2D.

Bah, I think I’m going to switch back to Green Team and go for a GTX 780 at the same time.

Great article! Interesting that CCFL backlights were hypothetically better.

Got the XL2420TE.

BF4 is pretty intense at 144hz/over 60 fps (with a GTX 780) I’ll tell you what.

Sweet! Color me jealous of that experience. How is that monitor’s image quality when you’re at an angle more than 10% off from centerview?

Meh kinda washed out colors

Not sure what the point of 120/144 fps since I still suck at fps games

It’s to make sweet love to your eye holes.

I bought the 144hz Benq DLP 1080p projector W1070 today too.