13 Reasons Why...

I’ve been finding it hard to find things to watch, that I end up enjoying recently. So I decided to try this just for something different.

When I was in high school, they put on this video about this girl. It was some anti-drug pap imported from the USA. I only vaguely remember parts, but it went something like… she gets talked into doing drugs with her friends, and this of course spirals, because that’s what drugs do. Next thing you know she’s in the basement of a creepy couple, being used for sex or something. And I guess she dies.

That’s what 13 reasons why continually reminds me of.

So, you liked it?

I watched the first three episodes…doubt that I’ll watch any more. The whole thing is just so contrived and dull.

I’d say yes, it was well written and well made, but it felt contrived, much like the girl in a cage drug spiral scare video.

I read the book, I thought it was kinda boring and the whole idea about the guy listening to the cassette tape didn’t really go anywhere. I can’t imagine the show being much better, but I guess it’s possible.

I finished it last night and while the show definitely has its flaws (mainly rooted in protracting Clay’s time to listen to the tapes so much) I thought it was fairly emotionally powerful. I attempted suicide at age 19 after a bad childhood and absolutely horrible high school years, so the subject matter hit home pretty hard even at age 52. The most powerful moment for me comes toward the end of episode 11, but I won’t spoil it. That and they do show when Hannah’s parents find her toward the end of the season after her suicide. F*ck me, but that was hard to watch. 33 years later and that was still a guilt punch in the guts, knowing what I would’ve done to my mom if I’d succeeded.

I really hope they don’t make another season though. There would be too many inherited issues, and it would be unrealistic for the same set of teens to have yet another horrible tragedy act as a central narrative thread for 12-13 more hours of story.

I disliked the setup for a second season, I hope they don’t do it. There were some tough moments in the series, but showing her doing it along with her parents finding her was VERY difficult to watch.

I had an idea that would happen… now every suicide prevention organisation under the sun is saying 13 Reasons Why is going to create a suicide epidemic.

I’m not sure how impressionable teenagers are in reality, but I find ironic that the show uses the most cliche version of suicide possible: something that happens to photogenic female teenagers that suffered an intensely tragic event. While these terrible cases do happen, the typical suicide victim is a man 40-60 with nowhere to turn to that very few people give a shit about, suicide prevention organisations included. But I guess you can’t make a show from that.

I knew that middle age males were the biggest victims of suicide.
So I checked with CDC.

Suicide Rate Non-Hispanic White Females
15-24 5.4 per 100,000
White Males
45-64 37.1 per 100,000

I had no idea the differences would be so dramatic. Seven times wow!
Where in the hell is our Netflix show?

I was going to give the series a shot but based on the thread reactions, and that statistic I’m not going to bother.

Our schools sent out an email urging parents to speak with their kids about the show and make sure they understand it’s just a show, and all the usual stuff such a message would urge. Kind of crazy that they felt it was necessary, but better safe than sorry.

If I could suffer through My So Called Life for a season or two, maybe I could tolerate this. Gonna give it a try.

I am sorry to hear that. I guess sometimes one wants to punish oneself. There are so many better ways you could be spending this time. I say that having watched it all, just because I felt obliged once I started.

I’ll abandon if I don’t like it after 2 episodes. I’m not that much of a masochist… yet

The sunk cost fallacy is a hell of a drug, ya’ll

The sunk cost fallacy is why I keep going back, trying to watch Daredevil on Netflix.

Especially every time someone posts “Hey, maybe superhero shows just aren’t your thing”.

How dare you! Good Super hero shows are my thing! Just not boring ones like Daredevil!

I am kind of digging this 3 episodes in. My So Called Rashômon!

Edit: this is really quite good. Better than I expected. The scenario is obviously artificial as hell, who the heck has the foresight to kill themselves BUT FIRST make up a weirdo highly complex multi-person, multi-layered cassette tape multimedia scavenger hunt extravaganza? This 16 year old girl did … apparently?

If you can get past that, the scenarios that play out here are interesting; shades of Breakfast Club. You got your repressed gay student, the sensitive jock nobody knows about, the creepy stalker, the popular kid with the troubled home …

Yes, this is not unexpected. When you reach the end, I have a question.

OK! I’m at the end and beyond. My So Called Rashômon! is a fairly accurate description of this show.

I didn’t appreciate the way they threw in a weird offhand reference to Columbine near the end. That felt extremely unnecessary to the point of being actively distracting. Probably my only substantive complaint.

I don’t know that this glamorizes suicide. Although OK fine, on a surface viewing it is technically an extended gotcha! revenge suicide note that makes these characters “regret” doing the things they did …

As I watched, I found the aftermath of her suicide troubling. In real life, when someone commits suicide, their story ends there. 13 Reasons Why failed to end Baker’s story, since she lives on through the tapes. We become captivated by the drama of the suicide rather than the actual suicide itself.

Furthermore, seeing how people are affected by this suicide is pretty … unappealing. That scene of the actual suicide and her parents discovering her, yeah not fun. If you go this route, know you will be actively damaging a lot of people for a long time as your goodbye present to them.

I don’t feel fantasy suicide revenge is truly the point here. No real teenage girl could possibly put together such a complex posthumous plan plus 13 hours of tapes (some recorded on location!) documenting everything in excruciating detail. So clearly, at least to me, it’s actually about the multiple views of reality, the Rashômon effect on a teenager’s life, which is intense. Can very bad things happen to teens without anyone really meaning to do anything wrong? Yes. Can very bad things happen to teens without anyone noticing? Yes. Furthermore, could any of those very bad things realistically have been avoided at the time, even with perfect foresight? I dunno, can you control how a bunch of emotional teenagers, all with their own individual family baggage, feels and thinks? How much of this is random chance and fate, playing out against multiple people at multiple times, eventually weaving itself into this particular story? What is to be done? It’s complicated, indeed.

I particularly liked the one part where she clearly recalled something incorrectly on the tapes – the confessional note she wrote to the asian jock, where she “saw” him ball it up and throw it away on the ground, but he later produced a copy on demand and said the note profoundly affected him, but he didn’t know what to do about it.

Whose story is true? Wrong question! It doesn’t actually matter whose story is true! Maybe nobody can tell you the whole truth, really, even with the impressive (but also biased in its own way) God’s eye view on offer here, which must be filtered through 13 different perspectives / episodes on the same set of events. What does matter is how people treat each other day to day. And boy howdy does this show do a good job of showing teens being cruel to each other, both intentionally and unintentionally, every day.

Looks like this got a Season Two, which surprises me, so I guess we’ll see.

Season 2 came out last week, and I finished it up last night. I thought season 1 was powerful and compelling but season 2 missed the mark pretty hard. It’s hard for me to find a good way to be critical of this because the message and awareness are important… but this season felt like everyone fell into stereotypes a lot harder and there was also an extremely heavy handed push for the awareness messaging this time around. The ending was laughably bad.

This would’ve been better off ending after one season. I hope that the somewhat open ending of season 2 doesn’t lead to a third.