16GB iPhone available now!

God, this came out of nowhere. Plus, 32GB Touches.

The bad news: Instead of just rolling in the 16GB at the existing $399 price, they bumped it up to $499. The 8GB is still available at $399.

Damnit, I’d love to get my one of those 16GB, but there’s still no 3G or any other improvements other than increased storage. But I’m rapidly running out of room on my 8GB.

The higher capacity finally makes the iPod Touch more tempting to me as both a replacement MP3 player (lost my Zen, grrr) and PDA. I’m kind of worried about the controls though; I’ve tried using my old PocketPC as an MP3 player in the past and pulling it out of my pocket and its case to mess with the controls was always a pain.

I really liked the ergonomics on my old iRiver flash player (nearly full control without even having to take it out of my pocket), but it looks like they’re still lagging way behind on capacity…

Plus, 32GB Touches.

That’s cos I bought a 16gb last week.

The higher capacity finally makes the iPod Touch more tempting to me as both a replacement MP3 player (lost my Zen, grrr) and PDA. I’m kind of worried about the controls though; I’ve tried using my old PocketPC as an MP3 player in the past and pulling it out of my pocket and its case to mess with the controls was always a pain.

It’s nearly a damn fine PDA, it just needs more offline apps and some tweaks to the few online ones that are actually useful. it does seem to assume that wi-fi is ever present and you’ll never be sat somewhere, like on a train, where it isn’t available. But I love its mail app, web browser and now I’ve found it, it’s ability to sync up with outlook so all my devices have the same crap on them.

The calendar really needs alterts more than 2 days prior to whatever it is imo, but overall I’m pretty impressed with the device, less so the £13 to get the 1.1.3 upgrade and the mostly shitty apps included in it.

You should avoid a touch then. I got one as a gift, which seemed perfect since my classic ipod had died. Found I still need to buy a new ipod because the touch may be fine a plane, but it sucks to have to keep looking at it and make multiple “touches” to control the simplest things.

Chet

Well, the $100 premium makes me not hate them at least. I couldn’t have gotten one with my Christmas money, so that makes it OK that they’re rolling out a new model less than a month after Macworld (and my subsequent iPhone purchase) with no warning. Well, kind of OK. It’s still a bit of a dick move.

Damn tempting, but there’s 16 months left on the current phone contract. A couple of questions for owners:

Will the Touch work with the standard 4G/5G style docks?

Does the iPhone have the same docking port as an iPod?

Yes. Which is good if you already own an iPod dock. If you don’t, you’ll just be scratching your head as to why they didn’t just use a mini-USB jack instead.

I bought a 16GB touch when it first came out, and to be honest, once the novelty wore off, I got kind of bored with it.

BUT, with the new apps, the device is much more awesome. I took it with me traveling this weekend, and it was a champ. Perfect for keeping up on my e-mail, checking in for my flight, keeping somewhat up with my forums, news and blogs, and finally listening to music on the plane.

I would love to have a 32 GB one, but I’m not exactly going to go out and buy a new one.

/now, if only it had a phone, it’d be perfect…

No 3G support, nothing to see here, move along…

Damn, my 16GB touch is pissing me off with it’s constant complaints about being out of room. Hopefully a 32GB 3G iPhone will be out before the end of the year and I can put all of these painful events behind me.

Gonna go kick some homeless people in the crotch now, toodeloo!

beats me why they went down that route when even £30 a cable nokia’s adopted [mini]USB. the cynic in me supposes that it’s a nice excuse to flog you more kit. forget the cable and you’ll struggle getting much past lunchtime once you’ve watched an episode of something on the bus in and shut out the sound of the office once you get into work. I’m already grudgingly considering buying another lead and thanking the pc for theplethora of USB ports that it comes with so I can at least accomdate yet another lead and one that’s specific to a single device at that.

Not for everything. My N75 uses that damn pop-port. Never again will I buy a phone that doesn’t have a real headphone jack.

And speaking of cable fuckery, I’m not too enamored with having to take a fucking pocket knife to every mini-phono jack I want to plug into my iPhone.

It’s a very common dock for accessories, and has the advantage of having audio, video outs, power, and control all built into a single connector. The alternative is a more standard, but very ugly and inelegant collection of wires going into the MP3 player.

Of course, it does mean that you have to stick with the iPod if you want to keep using the other things in the ecosystem. One of the advantages of Apple is that the large market share of their stuff results in a large, sometimes-useful collection of things to plug them into. It can’t be underestimated.

Ditto; this is not the upgrade you’re looking for. You can go about your business.

That’s the reason I returned my iPhone. My friends thought I was nuts, but it really pissed me off.

I think that if Apple was more upfront about that, I might have been ok with it. Since I had no clue about that (it’s not really in their marketing material), I was in for a rude awakening the first time I tried to use my iPhone at work with my nice headphones.

My hope is for a 3G iPhone with a fixed headphone jack, and the ability to use it as a USB storage device (without jailbreaking it).

The headphone jack was a non-issue for me. Ten seconds with a knife and my PX100’s worked fine with my iPhone. Nowadays you can find adapters on Amazon for $3.

I just hope the 16GB 3G iPhone isn’t back up to $599…

It’s a very common dock for accessories

I stand corrected, I’ve only ever seen it on an Ipod and true to form, guess who forgot his lead this morning?

Actually my only other complaint with the Touch as a PDA is that despite the storage the only way I’ve found to get documents on it is to send them into my email and download it before I leave for work so I can open them as attachments offline.

Google Documents? Can’t edit on the Touch (yet) but you can view them just fine.

Edit: Nvm, missed “offline.”