1920x monitors

I’m scouting out widescreen monitors or HDTVs that can properly handle 1600x900 or 1920x1080 settings, but it’s been slow going.

I know Dell has the 24-inch 2405 coming out soon; anyone know of large-ish size monitors in the 30"-40" range that fit the bill? The highest I’ve been able to find are a few at 1366x768.

20x6!

The Dell 2005FPW has a native resolution of 1680x1050. But if you’re really looking for something that’ll impress the neighbors, there’s always the 30-inch Apple Cinema Display, with a native resolution of 2560x1600 and such a thirst for bandwidth that it takes two DVI cables to drive the thing. All for only $3000.

Unless I’m mistaken, the 30" does not require two DVI cables. It does require a dual-link capable card, which at this point pretty much means a GeForce 6x00 or ATI X8xx board.

One 6800 on the G5 will drive two of those monsters. It’s quite impressive.

Oops. My bad.

When will the Apple monitor (or a 30" competitor) be available for PCs?

The 30" Apple Cinema Display doesn’t work with PCs?

Apparently you need a video card (a special version of the 6800, IIRC) and drivers that are only available for Macs.

Apparently you need a video card (a special version of the 6800, IIRC) and drivers that are only available for Macs.[/quote]

I just ran across this thread while researching monitors and might as well correct the record. I know that I’ve seen posts by PC users at the Apple support forums stating that they are successfully using the 30" monitor with Windows PCs. I haven’t got a clue what is involved in getting it up and running but if you’re interested, here’s the forum:

http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]@.6895fae4

If you’re willing to use a dual use monitor/television, you can look at some of the upcoming 1080p televisions. I just recenly purchased a Westinghouse 37 inch video monitor for use at home. It’s 1920 x 1080, works very very well as a PC monitor, and as a HD TV. Syntax, Sceptre and Benq all have 37" 1080p models out before the end of the summer.

Funk.

Actually, that’s exactly what I was looking for – something large that could double for PC and console use. Thx for the heads up.

I have a 23-inch HP monitor like this one. It’s pretty awesome, though smaller than what you’re looking for.

I don’t play console games on it, but aside from Windows and PC games, I occasionally watch movies on it. The picture is fab.