1up newsletter

I’m not recommending this, but if you wanted to make it a multiple cover collector’s edition extravaganza, this would be a good second image:

Though I continue to not suggest it, if “jew” were written in foil, it’d just be that much more attractive to collectors.

Though I continue to not suggest it, if “jew” were written in foil, it’d just be that much more attractive to collectors.

Huh?

So I signed up for what was described at the time as a gaming newsletter. Since the site has since changed to one that focuses on blogs I should unsubscribe to the newsletter if I have no interest in that feature. Is that pretty much your point Eric? Somehow it’s the readers fault that they don’t like what they are recieving?

I apparently wasn’t clear enough in the intial post. If I am reading a link that is described as editorial content from computer gaming world I think it is reasonable to expect that it would involve gaming. If it is her personal blog she can cover whatever she wants to, but it would be nice if you made a distinction between the two. Or should I assume that CGW as a magazine also supports the viewpoints that were expressed?

Good lord. She made one blog post about the election. One. It’s over. It was not her decision to put it in the newsletter. Whoever put it in the newsletter was being provocative and probably not overly smart, or they would have realized it would have gotten the response it is getting.

But there are now hundreds of blogs at 1up.com, expressing every point of view under the sun, as blogs should do. Ziff Davis and CGW don’t endorse any of them–they’re just random opinions and, ya know, god bless America for letting us have the freedom to express them.

Kristen was upset the election didn’t go her way. She wrote a few lines about it. Because it was a big week, a big night, in all our lives. She was writing as a human being, not as a representative of Ziff Davis or CGW, on her own personal space where she is allowed to say what she wants.

And, Erik, thank you for the excellent ideas by the way. Along with putting “Jew” in foil, I’m thinking of adding “World Exclusive” right above that. Or maybe “Hebe-tastic First Look!”

No, no - as much as I can still tell what my position is at this point, I’m almost positive that I’m more or less totally with you.

You have the computer game magazine on one hand, and a free personal blog site on the other. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect that the computer game magazine generally steer clear of publishing controversial non-game related diatribes. Hell, I write them a letter every month complaining about Geryk’s pretty obvious Republican bias.

On the other hand, I’m not saying that I want a constitutional amendment that bans them from publishing whatever the damn hell they want. My advice here is strictly bidness. If you piss off enough of your readers, they may stop buying the magazine, and then I may not get my giant Alpha Black Zero review prize check. If I were confident that a regular stream of anti-Bush vitriol would attract enough non-gaming Nation subscribers to fill the breach, then I’d say go for it. Lucky for me, I don’t even have to worry about it because CGW is only controversial within a limited spectrum of expected topics.

So depending on your ability to tolerate Geryk’s opinions, there isn’t a problem with CGW proper. And there also isn’t a problem with the entirely free, entirely separate personal blog whose stated purpose is to print people’s off-topic, and let’s face it, completely misguided opinions about things. If there is a problem, it’s that the newsletter provided an unexpected link between the two. But even that’s not a big problem. It’s free, so you can unsubscribe from it, forget about it, and enjoy CGW the way you always have. Plus, it says right on the masthead that CGW is based in San Francisco, which is Spanish for “Bush = Hitler”. So it can’t have been that much of a surprise to you.

Doesn’t the world already have enough of this shit flying at us every day? I’m so sick of hearing about the US election that at this point I wouldn’t care if you guys elected Daffy Duck. Can we keep this stuff on the Religion ond Politics board?

So, um, anyone wanna talk about games?

Shorter Erik: now that may criticism has failed, I’ll throw up a cloud of ninja smoke and escape in the resulting confusion about the relevance of posters from far-left street protests. :D

On a larger point, you’re just going to get more and more things like this going forward, as more media ends up in this quasi-endorsed limbo. Blogs are kind of hard to keep on-topic.

So… when’s that “They Came From Hollywood” game coming out?

• Alan