20 years from now, how do you think people will think of Adele?

I thought the performance on the Grammy Awards was one of the best I’ve ever seen. Was wondering whether people think she’s a flash in the pan, or in it for the long haul?

She has a good voice. But nothing else, as far as I can see.

People have made it far with a good voice and “nothing else” in the past.

What exactly does a singer need other than a good voice?

Commercially, obviously. A good voice isn’t even necessary.

Good songs and lyrics usually help. Also good production.

And you don’t think she has good songs, or good production? In what world?

I’ll grant that she has good production. I find the songs terrible, though.

I wonder what my bus driver would say…

I think she’s pretty good. That Someone Like You song is a bit grating (to me), but I can see why people with a certain sappy quality to their personalities enjoy it.

She’s no Etta James or Aretha though. Let’s not get crazy. She’s not even quite a Dusty Springfield yet, if we’re being honest about it. Let her get a dozen or so albums under her belt and see how she goes.

Hey look! Executioner Five is back.

I appreciate her talent. My wife loves her. I still think it is far too early to call where she’ll be in ten years.

She’ll either be Amy Winehouse, Whitney Houston, or Diana Ross…(drugged and dead, famous then drugged and dead, famous then only looking like the walking dead).

She may not be to your taste, and that’s fine, but there’s no sane universe in which Rollin In the Deep is a “terrible” song.

I would guess that there are more one hit wonders than performers who have long careers. Nothing against her, but without well written songs, and something that makes them different from album to album, most groups/singers tend to disappear in time.

Pulled the words right out of my mouth.

But she’s not a one hit wonder.

Her first album did quite well. Her second album was one of the biggest hits of last year. She’s had multiple number ones. She’s the first person since the Beatles to have X singles in the top 10 at one time, or X singles plus an album at one and two or something. (Some impressive sounding record with regards to multiple songs/albums.)

Maybe she won’t last, but she’s not a one hit wonder. Her two albums have significant differences. She writes her songs partially herself. She decides on her imaging etc. Basically, she’s not manufactured, which is what a lot of people think of with modern one-hit wonders (or other pejorative associated with “manufactured.”)

There’s a difference between saying she hasn’t done it until she’s done it and saying that, at this point in her career and given what she’s managed to do so far, she doesn’t have better odds than most to get there.

10-20 years is a long time.

And while I have heard of her I have to admit her music, while she has a nice voice, isn’t anything that much different to me.

I apologize for the outrage that will cause. Just my opinion. The music world is flooded with chick singers and I just am not into that.

ALMOST AS BAD AS CHICK WRITERS! RIGHT BRO! UP HERE! ON TOP! o/

I just am not into that kind of music. Female crooners, just like male crooners, don’t interest me. I like guitars, lead guitar. If Adele could play a mean lead guitar I would like her. :)