2012 Qt3 GotY: Best game you didn't vote for?

I was looking at the list, wishing I had been able to play more of the top 10, when I scrolled down to the “Under 10’s” and noticed Legend of Grimrock only had 8 points.

Color me surprised.

I thought it was an excellent game that certainly deserved more than 8 points on this list, but… well… I didn’t vote for it either. I might have voted for it if we had a Top 6, or I might have voted for Warlock. But it got me to thinking…

What was the best game you played this year that you DIDN’T vote for in the Qt3 GotY poll?

It’s a tie between Dishonored and Guild Wars 2. I didn’t start playing either until just after Christmas. I could see early on that both were very good games, but I didn’t feel comfortable voting for either when I hadn’t even spent 4 hours with them.

Torchlight 2 , probably cuz I am still in the first chapter waiting for a friend to find the time to continue our game.

Plenty of great games this year that I haven’t started or got far enough in to say whether or not they could’ve been a GOTY for me (XCOM, Borderlands 2, FTL, Rayman Origins, and Walking Dead to name a few). Of those I did play to satisfaction I’d have to go with Darkness II. It didn’t do anything revolutionary but had solid and interesting mechanics that made me thoroughly enjoy my playthrough.

Probably Assassin’s Creed 3.

Warlock Master of the Arcane and Dragon’s Dogma I only got into after I voted, and those are definately gems I would have considered replacing with other games on my list. Mark of the Ninja (I’m only on the third level) is so far freaking amazing too.

I haven’t touched Borderlands 2 or Dishonred yet, but I will get to them once they drop in sale a bit, and it looks like I’m going to be loving them, so that’s something I’m looking forward to!

Assassin’s Creed, because I’ve barely touched single player.

Edit: of course I meant AC3, not the first game, because obviously.

Which brings up a related interesting question: If we rolled out the list from 2011 and had people vote on a top 5 from among the games that got points that year, how big of a shake-up would we see due to people who finally got a chance to play things they hadn’t gotten to yet?

Warlock Master of the Arcane would have been my number 6.

I thought about Grimrock, too, but decided against it in the end. I liked it very much, that’s for sure.

Xenoblade was also great but for me it was a 2011 game (Europe).

That would be interesting. I’m sure I will play XCOM, Journey (have only played it briefly), Walking Dead, Borderlands and some other 2012 games in 2013.

Fez, for sure. Came at a bad time in my life and enriched it with a sense of wonder, exploration and mystery.

Torchlight 2, I just didn’t get to it as quickly as other games but what I’ve played I’ve enjoyed, and I have to support games that do not use online DRM and still manage to sell at least a million copies.

It was technically released to PC in late 2011, thus doesn’t qualify as a 2012 nominee, but the game I played the most in 2012 was probably Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes.

DayZ, because I figured mods were disqualified.

Also, I’m not playing Clash of Heroes, so everyone stop bringing it up to tempt me.

How many times did you play through it? I forget if it had multiple difficulty levels or any unlocks after the first play through.

Tim, you know you want to play it. It is a game that you could use to fill in smaller play chunks - play a battle or two as they don’t take very long. I didn’t think it was a great game, but different than what I usually play and worth the several bucks I payed for it. I liked it better than Puzzle Quest, which got monotonous.

Man, was Clash of Heroes fantastic. Now I have an itch to play it through for a third time…

This is the exact opposite of making me want to play it, so thank you!

Because:

1. It is only decent and not great?
  2. I think it was decent and you hate what I like?
  3. I think it was worth a couple bucks?
  4. Good to play in bite sized chunks?

You’re welcome by the way :-)

My full list looks like this:

1. Chivalry: Medieval Warfare

2. Natural Selection 2

3. Dark Souls

4. XCOM

5. Max Payne 3

6. Borderlands 2

7. Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion

8. Far Cry 3