2016 Horror Roundup Thread

Dark Signal is looking pretty nice, at least from the trailer:

Serial killer, ghosts, psychics, and a haunted house? I AM SO IN. DON’T LET ME DOWN. I just hope the May UK date translates to either a US limited release, or a VOD release within that same timeframe.

Drag. Amusingly the Wikipedia article sources an “80%+” fresh at Rotten Tomatoes that was true like a month ago or something, but since then a series of negative reviews have rolled in and it;'s currently at 56%.

The Blake Lively thing, which is now our official name for it, is not coming until June. For some reason I thought I had spotted it in the coming soon at Rotten Tomatoes. Derp. I hadn’t bothered to check the director though. I though Run All Night was a solid “watch Liam Neeson wreck everything” flick (note: I wish we got one of these periodically but yes I wish they’d put more thought into the scripts than what went into Taken 3. I digress).

Southbound this weekend for me, I hope.

I really enjoyed the wrap around story for Southbound. The little twist at the end was well thought out, I felt. And the opening scenes from the car were pretty dang great.

The Witch

I’m very impressed with this movie. It starts slow, I almost gave up on it, that’s how slow it felt. Then once things start picking up it’s really pretty cool. It has a great ending in that the filmmaker doesn’t wimp out. It’s actually kind of creepy in a lot of different ways, probably because the characters live in a time and place where stuff that would freak me out is expected in their world. Highly recommended to ‘slow burn’ horror fans.

Conjuring 2 looks sufficiently creepy:

O.o…that’s coming out soon :)

I tried watching Krampus the other day and it left a bad taste in my mouth. I couldn’t even finish it.

Has anyone seen The Invitation yet? It’s a nice tense mysterious dinner party movie where the tension about what’s going on just clicks higher and higher as the night goes on. if highly recommend it.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

biosc1, you mean you missed the totally awesome ending of Krampus? Dude, that was the best part of the movie! I couldn’t believe what happened! I was, all, like, no way that just happened!!!1!*

If only you read the front page of this site. :(

But, yeah, I loved it.

-Tom

• Not really. Frankly, I would have liked it more if I hadn’t finished it.

oops, busted. I am a bad person. 😔 I will go and check that out now.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Invitation was a worthwhile film.

While I largely agree with you, not finishing Krampus would’ve meant missing out on the awesome Krampus design, since he’s only really shown fully right at the end. That makeup design belonged in a better film.

Krampus really was a shame. Decent cast and a very cool visual style but just a completely tone deaf script. Very disappointing film.

Yah, I am let down more because of how good the movie could have been. Low budget movies get much more leeway in my mind. This has effects, the cast…it could have been more.

I’m planning to see this tomorrow night. Apparently the ending delivers…rare for a horror movie.

Anyone see The Boy? If so, is it any good? I just noticed it’s available on VOD and the trailer looked interesting.

I liked it, but I thought it very predictable and the payoff was not unexpected.

The better The Boy movie is a weird arthouse horror movie from last year with David Morse and Rainn Wilson. Odd pacing but I loved the payoff and the underrated Rainn Wilson has some great scenes.

As for the one where the chick from Walking Dead babysits a doll, I didn’t care for it at all. Annabelle* was scarier!

-Tom

• The doll, not the movie, which I haven’t seen.

Got it. I was afraid of that. The trailers seemed interesting, but I wasn’t seeing great reviews elsewhere. I still need to watch the other The Boy, too. I believe it’s on Netflix now, so I don’t have an excuse to miss it at this point.

Watched The Invitation last night. I really enjoyed it. I don’t see it as a plot twist dependent film, so it was kind of predictable as to what was going on from about a third of the way into the film, but that doesn’t mean I found it any less interesting or fun.

That final scene was great too. Took it from small to world wide with one quick brush stroke.

Extra credit to the film for casting Toby Huss. He’s one of my favorite character actors.

p.s. I was looking over Huss’ film history and I noticed that the American remake of the French horror film, Martyrs (which he’s apparently featured in) was available to stream on Amazon. I like the original, although I can’t recommend to most people (I wrote about how I almost hate myself for enjoying it a few years back for one of the Quartertothree Halloween movie lists, along with Triggercut). But I can wholeheartedly recommend NOT watching the remake. When your trailer gives away the big twist within the first 3 seconds, a twist that’s key to the effectiveness of the whole damn film, you’re not exactly a PR whiz. Plus, it looks awful.

Ha ha, you saw the American remake of Martyrs.

-Tom, who also saw it

I just watched the trailer, fortunately. That was enough to scare me off.