2016 Horror Roundup Thread

Please never mention that ever ever ever ever ever again. Ever! I looked away superfast when that scene happened. I had to go back and watch that part with the sound off and my fingers over my eyes to muster up the courage to actually see what happened. At which point I grimaced, turned up the sound, and watched the whole thing. That might have been a mistake. Probably worse than anything I’ve seen in a Miike movie.

-Tom

Damn it. Now I have to watch it so I can open that spoiler tag.

I don’t know if this goes here, but Netflix currently has Slasher. It’s a Harper’s Island style horror series from Chiller.

Katie McGrath (Jurassic World, Dracula, Merlin) stars as Sarah Bennett, a young woman who returns to the small town where she was born, only to find herself the centerpiece in a series of horrifying copycat murders based on the widely known grisly killings of her parents. As the murders escalate, long-buried secrets are revealed, making everyone around her a suspect…or a victim. Sarah finds herself questioning everything and everyone around her, including her husband Dylan (Brandon Jay McLaren; Graceland, The Killing), her grandmother Brenda Merritt (Wendy Crewson; Saving Hope, Revenge), family friend Cam Henry (Steve Byers; The Man in the High Castle) and the town’s police chief, Iain Vaughn (Dean McDermott; Ecstasy, CSI).

Netflix also has the MTV series Scream.

I expect both to be pretty cheesy, but at least Slasher should have more on-screen violence.

Ooh, Katie McGrath…

Couldn’t find a thread for this one, and maybe it doesn’t really even need one, but I just caught this and agree, pretty good. I liked it better than the most recent horror anthology I saw, V/H/S. It had a fun nightmarish, unreal quality to it that kept me interested. I remembered Tom had written about this on the front page a while back and going back to it, I agree that the middle section, about the man involved in the hit and run, is the best by a longshot. It zigs when you expect it to zag, and while it doesn’t make a lot of sense it’s really effective with its mood, its creeping dread.

Incidentally, this movie is available today for free on Xbox Video. You know, for the two other dudes on the forum with an Xbone.

I also just watched Southbound and have pretty much the same opinion as everyone else. It was good, not great. Middle section was by far the best.

I haven’t seen V/H/S, do people feel it is better/worse/about the same as Southbound?

Better. Way better, overall. But mainly for David Bruckner’s Amateur Night.

-Tom

I disagree, I found V/H/S to be pretty bland but it’s certainly worth a watch.

The more I think about it, the more I want a whole movie built around that second story in Southbound.

I saw Cell, based on the Stephen King novel, King is even credited on the screenplay, and good grief that’s a terrible movie. Watching it is like drinking a soda that has gone flat…a warm soda…from a dirty cup. It’s not fun bad like The Room, or even like King’s own Maximum Overdrive. It’s sad bad, even though I’m know everyone got paid, I felt sorry for the actors stuck in that mess.

Oh wow, didn’t know Cell was out already. I think I might have been the only dude on the boards who liked the book, so I’m intrigued enough to watch this. Though probably not enough to catch in first run theater.

The book was pretty bad too, IMHO.

I enjoyed V/H/S quite a bit. Some fun vignettes, if you like that sort of thing.

Ha ha, you saw Cell, aka “Stephen King has no idea what the deal is with zombies”.

What ever became of John Cusack’s career? :(

-Tom

I like Cell (the book) although it was a long time ago, so high five.

I saw V/H/S last night, really hit and miss for me. Maybe even more so than Southbound. The “main” story of the movie wasn’t very good, bad acting, bad writing, and the story of the 4 people going to the camp in the woods was awful. The couple stories in the middle I thought were pretty good though.

Should I waste my time with VHS 2 and VHS Viral or just skip? It looks like both of those got pretty poor reviews.

Haven’t seen V/H/S 2 yet, if you watch hit us with some impressions.

The other VHS movies aren’t really worth bothering with. VHS Viral is just trash and VHS 2 tries waaaay too heard to justify the found footage conceit.

-Tom

I liked the first… half? Two thirds? So high 2 or 3?

Thanks, that is about what I figured. I have wayyy too many other horror movies on my list to watch instead of wasting time on those it sounds like.