2016 Horror Roundup Thread

I know someone involved with this project, so I am going to pimp it here. Since MTV is now in reruns for the latest season of “Are you the one?”, you might fulfill your show hole with “Tell Me How I Die”

Due out mid-Sept.

Never mention my show hole again!

I noticed this thread on Reddit today, in case it is useful to any of you horror aficionados:

I watched The Forest last night. PG-13 bland garbage. Not even Natalie Dormer playing twins could save this movie.

The story about the real Suicide Forest was better.

That movie made me angry. They squandered such an amazing setting on such a shitty movie. They completely bypassed any of the cultural aspects to the forest, had a cast that had … what, two Japanese people in it, and doled out a terrible backstory that ostensibly is supposed to influence why the character acts like she does without making it either mysteriously thoughtful or quite clear.

Ugh. Now we have to wait a while before someone can take a stab at this location again, hopefully doing a better job. I mean, if you fuck a ghost or monster movie, whatever, someone else can do one a week later and it’s no big deal. But since this is a real place, and so unique at that, it means we won’t be able to see this spooky place in a movie for some time.

Ha ha, you guys watched The Forest.

Really, the hottie Game of Thrones alum to follow is Rose Leslie for Morgan and Honeymoon, and arguably the camp value of The Last Witch Hunter.

-Tom

We did watch The Neighbor the other night. It’s from the writers/director of the last batch of Saw films and The Collector. It was competent. Fun enough for a popcorn film. If you’ve seen the trailer and seen The Collector, you’ll know exactly what to expect.

Any see The Den? It is horror by Skype. Maybe similar to one of those VHS tapes in V/H/S (or the sequel, don’t remember)

That part sounds like Unfriended.

I really like the lead actor, Josh Stewart, and the first scene where they introduce his character is pretty bad-ass: drive-thru bullet wound management! But overall the movie felt a bit underdeveloped to me. I would have preferred more interaction between Stewart and the neighbor before it everything got slopped into the usual horror movie stew. That one scene between them was great. Why didn’t we get more of that?

I did, however, really like how they played the girlfriend as more than the typical damsel in distress when things got rough. She was a lot of fun!

-Tom

Never seen Unfriended. The Den is B movie horror.

Speaking of B movie horror, anyone see The Shrine? Probably not recommended if you understand Polish. You’ll know everything too soon.

I recall The Shrine being not nearly as terrible as I expected. And although I don’t remember the specifics of the ending, I recall not being disappointed. Should I watch it again?

-Tom

The ending definitely makes the movie. So maybe?

Is that the one with Iceman? I seem to remember actually kind of liking the movie, although it feels a little forgettable (given that I’ve, well, forgotten most of it).

No idea who you mean by Iceman. It is a pretty simple movie so yeah probably forgettable.

[spoiler]A journalist investigates a string of missing persons in Poland for a story. Turns out there is a mysterious patch of fog in the woods near a remote village which appears to contain some kind of disturbing cult…

The setup is unremarkable, and much of the movie feels root but the pay off at the end is good. Also there is one predictable part where the characters get trapped but they are able to immediately escape, while a small thing, wasn’t what I thought was going to happen.[/spoiler]

Ruth Wilson should seriously be in every horror movie.

I actually kind of liked Baskin, though it did waste a lot of its potential and stumble at the end.

So has anyone seen the Ruth Wilson Joint? I almost watched it, but instead watched the amazingly incredible awesome The Invitation. Like a dummy, I actually commented on Tom’s Front Page comments. ;)

Seriously, The Invitation was superb.

Watched The VVITCH and liked everything about and overall thought it was good, but it left me wanting a bit more…something. Need to think about it a bit more.

We watched The Invitation on Thursday and thought it was brilliant, although the Netflix thumbnail spoilt it for me because other than that I had no idea what the film was about! Would have loved even greater uncertainty! The lead actor’s appearance reminded us of Tom Hardy’s beardy Fitzgerald in The Revenant, which we watched previous to this.

Edit: wow, Logan-Marshall Green is a Tom Hardy double!

Not watched The VVitch yet, can’t seem to get it anywhere on the streaming/rental services here.

Added I Am The Pretty Thing That Lives In The House to our watch list last week. Looking forward to it. I think we’ll be watching it or Martyrs tonight.