2017 Frame Game

Not Canon Fodder.

Here’s a hint: There was another reason I disliked the previous game, other than it being a strategy game. In fact, it made me think of this game and choose it for my turn. I only give this hint due to the factor I’m speaking of hopefully being apparent in this newest screen anyway.

Powermonger, maybe?

I bet that’s it! Can’t believe I missed that, been waiting for Powermonger to come up forever. =)

Isn’t that Rings of Power, that Megadrive RPG with inscrutable systems I never could get into back then?

@Left_Empty You got it! Rings of Power for the Sega Genesis/Megadrive. Naughty Dog’s first ever console game. They went on to make the Crash Bandicoot series, Jak and Daxter, Uncharted, The Last of Us. Etc. Though in between Rings of Power and Crash was a really godawful live action fighting game on the 3DO called Way of the Warrior. I shudder just thinking about it.

The aspect I was talking about that Utopia reminded me of is the way the game is rendered. In a diamond in the center of the screen from an isometric perspective. I hate that. I really do. I don’t care about it being isometric, but having the actual game space render like that…ugh. I’d prefer it be in a corner of the screen (like other RPGs of the time) rather than this if they don’t have the processing power to do it full screen. Maybe I’m just weird, but it drives me nuts. Ditto for Utopia and a couple other games I can’t think of off the top of my head.

Anyway, you’re up, @Left_Empty !

At least the Batman or Head over Heels ancestries had for them that they were taking place in a single room. But the “in a box” yet scrolling approach is indeed perplexing.

Psst, I never liked Populous either.

Next one is something I am very happy to have finally remembered the name of.

One of the Harvest Moons?

Not at all!

Uh, Blood Bowl?

They wished!

Lawn Fist ‘93

Uh, My brain it telling me Mutant League is the wana-be bloodbowl game from that era. Should I trust it?

There were others :O

Somebody Modestly Famous Combat Football (2000?)

close! so close!

Weedball 2?

Rha, you are killing me. It was M.U.D.S., an Amiga fantasy balling game with management and stuff we never cared about because we were mashing buttons, to the point of making the Amiga fail. I launched it again, and unlike Speedball and the likes, I thought it was still charming and holding up, with pretty smooth controlls.
I had a very hard time remembering that lame name: I had mentionned the game on the lost game name thread, but it just came back to me last month.

I’ll be back with something else…