2017 Horror Roundup Thread

XX (Feb 17, -) - all female horror anthology.

I don’t know if the description speaks to everyone but what is meant is that it is four unrelated horror ‘short films’ which all are directed by women. Saw a trailer, looked quite good to me. (At least I don’t think there is any thematic link.)

I’m looking forward to at least part of this. I’ll take more Karyn Kusama* any way I can get it. The other four directors look kinda iffy, though.

-Tom

* Jennifer’s Body, The Invitation

You’re not wrong. Holy Jesus, are you not wrong.

Surprisingly entertaining, despite a somewhat misleading title.

Added a link to the split discussion thread. And just wanted to mention that Rings is killing it. . .self over at Rotten Tomatoes (2/29 for 6%). While this is not in any way surprising, it’s worth mentioning.

I like trailers that don’t give everything away

The gal who isn’t Emma Roberts or Kiernan Snipka is giving me crazy Hayley Atwell vibes.

Oh that’s the unreleased movie from Anthony Perkins’ son (forgot his name, Oz or something?) been waiting for this one.

Osgood. Had no idea he was Anthony’s son.

I’m sure everyone was on pins and needles for this, but we can all relax. The latest reboot of Friday the 13th has been held indefinitely.

:D

This was one of thos emovies popping up on lots of “horror movies in 2017 lists” but seemed to be doing so for no reason. I mean, yes, Paramount included it on their release schedule but it’s release seemed somewhat dubious (although shooting was scheduled to begin in March I see).

Amytiville needs a new installment less but this one is up there. Who cares about Friday the 13th? Jason Vorhees was never very interesting (unlike Michael Meyers, although he was only interesting under Carpenter and I would argue H20). There are far better examples of slasher movies (hell, Scream is better and you know I’m not a huge scream fan).

Jason had one destiny left to fulfill and we got cheated out of it by communists/federalists/capitalists/MADD/PETA/the forces of darkness/whomever (Freddy vs Jason vs Ash). That would have been a worthy effort. Otherwise, Jason needs to return to the logpile forever (or 2018-19 it seems). If you really want to reboot the series, do something else. Or, you know, just do something else without the property (fat chance, I know).

Agreed. Jason sucks. The only new Friday the 13th I’d want is a sequel to Jason X because it was so ridiculously, gloriously dumb.

Jason is not interesting. The twist that he was not actually the killer in the original Friday the 13th is a bit, I think. But not enough that I would want to see any movie in the franchise.

(And I am not convinced that Michael Myers is interesting in this day and age, even in the original movie. Although as I have said in the past I preferred Rob Zombie’s take on that particular franchise.)

It Comes At Night - August 25th.

Trey Edward Shults (Krisha) directs.

A man (Joel Edgerton) learns that the evil stalking his family home may be only a prelude to horrors that come from within.Secure within a desolate home as an unnatural threat terrorizes the world, the tenuous domestic order he has established with his wife and son is put to the ultimate test with the arrival of a desperate young family seeking refuge.

Also features Riley Keough (of Girlfriend Experience, TV version fame), Carmen Ejogo, Christopher Abbot, and Kelvin Harrison Jr.

Dandy, not-too-spoilery teaser trailer linked. The poster is also fantastic.

Hah, you beat me to it. But Riley Keough is most importantly known as Capable in Mad Max Fury Road!

This looks really good, adding it to the list.

Prevenge now has a discussion thread (thanks @Rckay).

Also, we’re just under a week out from A Cure for Wellness and it’s at 10/19 (34%) on Rotten Tomatoes. Perhaps it will rally but that’s a disappointing start for fans of Gore Verbinsky, Dane Dehaan and Mia Goth aka Mrs Shia Labeouf.

NP (no problem) @peacedog
🗡✊🏼

Get Out is off to a big start (nobody jinx it), and as I mentioned in the OP Girl with all the Gifts has gotten good reviews. So Feb 24th is an exciting weekend for genre fans. As curious as I am about Girl, Get Out is really calling my name.

Added The Void. Ok, so did we talk about this movike? to be clear we’re not talking about the anthology that’s coming out under this title, but the exgremely weird looking movie with the creepy and iconic cultist outfits (upside down triangle on the face). I have this memory that we talked about this movie. Somebody, I don’t know who - Tom maybe, or [Forum Person] - told me it sucked. But now I’m starting to wonder if I dreamed that. I can’t even remember why I didn’t include it in the list. I think it was because I got confused about when it was released. As it’s getting a theatrical release in the US this year, I decided to execute Riker Maneuver Omega and included it. The teaser that just got released is. . . I dunno. Weird and gory and I’m definitely interested.

Just from the trailer I’ve seen, The Void looks awesome.

Oooo, yeah. The Void looks pretty amazing. I’m happy to see the comeback of practical effects after the overuse of fakey CGI for so long.

Saw Cure for Wellness tonight. I’d solidly put it in the middle of average psychological horror-type movies, maybe bumped up a little bit by Gore Verbinski’s meticulous filmcraft and visuals. I don’t even want to describe the story, but this movie just chock full of crazy moments. Some good, some not so good. There’s a lot of intentional uncomfortableness here, a couple of amusing red herrings, and a bit of cringeworthy horror. The plot is, at times, confusing as hell if you’re not paying complete (and even then, yikes) attention, but I’m so glad it didn’t devolve into a particular movie trope. The movie is nearly two and a half hours long and really feels it.

— Alan