2017 in forum stats summary

2017 was the first year that qt3 switched software to forums.quartertothree.com in its entirety. No teething pains (well, less teething pains, anyway) and more about the nitty gritty of usage.

Let’s see what 2017 looks like like via the users page, year range which reflects Jan 1 2017 → Jan 1 2018.

Most topics created

1. Telefrog, 490
  2. tomchick, 264
  3. wumpus, 54
  4. jpinard, 52
  5. rei, 45
  6. ChristienMurawski, 43
  7. Gordon_Cameron, 35
  8. Woolen_Horde, 35
  9. JeffL, 35
  10. divedivedive, 33
  11. lordkosc, 31
  12. Papageno, 31
  13. tgb123, 30
  14. Scott_Lufkin, 30
  15. Enidigm, 26

I’d say we could use a bit more new topics here in general. So if you’re ever thinking about maybe creating a new topic, take a page from the book of @telefrog and go for it!

Most replies posted

1. Timex, 6.4k
  2. Telefrog, 5.6k
  3. divedivedive, 5.2k
  4. ShivaX, 4.6k
  5. CraigM, 4.2k
  6. Nesrie, 3.9k
  7. Rock8man, 3.8k
  8. BrianRubin, 3.8k
  9. ArmandoPenblade, 3.5k
  10. triggercut, 3.4k
  11. RichVR, 3.4k
  12. Misguided, 3.3k
  13. stusser, 3.2k
  14. Gordon_Cameron, 3.1k
  15. barstein, 3.1k

As a point of reference, assuming you visited every single day in the year, 1000 posts would be 2.74 posts per day. So @Timex posted a whopping 17.5 posts per day, on average.

Most topics viewed

1. LockerK, 2.6k
  2. arrendek, 2.5k
  3. TimJames, 2.5k
  4. lordkosc, 2.4k
  5. Thraeg, 2.4k
  6. CraigM, 2.4k
  7. marquac, 2.3k
  8. Telefrog, 2.3k
  9. tempus67, 2.2k
  10. Enidigm, 2.2k
  11. prolix, 2.2k
  12. silhouette, 2.1k
  13. sharaleo, 2.1k
  14. ddtibbs, 2.1k
  15. Djscman, 2.0k

This is a measure of how many distinct conversation topics you entered in 2017. Considering there were maybe 1,000 brand new topics for the whole of 2017 to top this list like @lockerk you’d need to visit some of the (massive) qt3 topic backlog dating from 2002 onward.

Most posts read

1. JAH, 365.1k
  2. SadleyBradley, 329k
  3. kono1134, 328k
  4. gringokidd, 326k
  5. DaveLong, 322k
  6. Enidigm, 307k
  7. glimjack, 296k
  8. Miguk, 283k
  9. SweetJP, 275k
  10. Courteous_D, 271k
  11. Hobitus, 271k
  12. Sareln, 262k
  13. arrendek, 262k
  14. rho21, 259k
  15. Gutsball, 255k

Now “read” in this context doesn’t mean read for a long time necessarily, it’s a boolean flag indicating the post was on their screen. It could have been whizzing by their screen at 10 feet per second, but it did appear on their screen for a moment, however brief. The same math applies, at 365 days this means @JAH had a thousand posts a day on his screen, on average.

Days visited

There are too many people to list here, so I’ll summarize: how many days did people visit in 2017?

every day -1 -2 -3 -4 -5
92 33 25 13 18 16

Nice, a bunch of addicts. All told there are probably ~250 people who missed less than a week visiting qt3 in the whole of 2017.

As for top topics for 2017:

19 topics — 9 Politics & Religion, 8 Games, 1 Movies, 1 Everything Else.

Of which @timex created 3, @telefrog created 4, @craigm created 4. Well done!

RIP likes 💖

Oh hey look, numbers.

Stop trying to increase your reply count!

Never! I must not let dive^3 stay ahead of me.

How else are you going to pogue his hone?

I was mystified by my “read posts” total, and then I realized it’s because I regularly land in the middle of a topic, and then navigate by spinning my scroll wheel, going “wheeeeee!”

Read time is more accurate, and shown on your user card and user profile, but for arcane technical reasons is hard to break up by time period.

Get out of my head!

Cool. I read a lot and don’t make the top ten posters. I kinda like that.

A few shortcuts in this case

• you can enter at the bottom of a topic by clicking or tapping on the last post date in the topic list.

it’s also possible to enter at the bottom or top, by clicking or tapping on the post count

• once you are in a topic, press ? to discover keyboard shortcuts to jump to bottom end, top home, or any arbitrary post number #.

• you can click or tap on the start or end dates in the vertical timeline to jump to the … wait for it … start or end of the topic. This also works on mobile, but requires an extra tap to expand the timeline.

• you can also click or tap the topic title to jump to the top of it any time

This is me just going into threads to mute them. If you track that, I’d probably win by a mile.

Like, recently bounced topics? Because there’s a huge backlog of topics that never get bounced, do you mute every topic on qt3? What’s the trigger?

When it shows up in new posts. People can bump old threads. It’s not like I’m searching for them.

Well crap, now people know how much time I spend lurking on this site. A good chunk of those were trying to mark things as read during the migration but I’ll try and pop into each new topic and read the first post or three to see if I want to keep following.

Kewl. I didn’t know these tricks. Sometimes I like jumping to the end of a topic I haven’t read in a while.

Blast, I didn’t win!

I find it interesting how few of the posters in the “most posts read” category I’ve actually heard of. I guess it’s not surprising that the lurkers are the ones who have the most time to read posts.

I think I’m on there because I’m new, so there’s a bunch of old threads that I’ve scrolled through thousands of posts on this year.

Good fucking goddamn, @Timex, you sure do talk a lot ;-)

(Says the 3.5k posts/year asshole)

I would’ve been in the posting top 10 if not for the mute button, the greatest gift to forum software ever created.