2017 SuperData PC Games Sales Review

This is from SuperData’s annual videogame sales summary.

Check out that spread between PUBG and Overwatch. Also, props to Divinity Original Sin 2.

You can get the full report here for free, but you do have to register.

So probably Red Dead Redemption 2 will have a battlegrounds mode now, lol.

:D

Crazy numbers for PUBG. If the popularity stays up over the years they could even catch GTA V and Minecraft maybe. I think GTA V hit $2 billion in news articles around May 2014, so it’s had 3.6 years more to rack up that number. If GTA V made $118million only on PC in 2017, I wonder how much they made on all platforms combined?

I nominate @Telefrog to go dig up some 2K investor reports for us to see how much they’ve made now on GTA V.

They’re right here:

http://ir.take2games.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=86428&p=irol-reportsannual

I’m on a phone, so I won’t be scanning all 108 pages of the last report, but something should be there under the revenue sheet.

Does this include in-game purchases @telefrog? Wouldn’t it be wildly off, if it did not?

SuperData is including in-game transactions and DLC. For example, the Guild Wars 2 entry includes all the Black Lion market stuff.

Perhaps the free to play and pay charts should be presented side by side?

Jesus, are those charts depressing.

Yay DoS2 though, for only making 20x less than that RPG genre classic, “Dungeon Fighter Online” (and under 3.5x less than “MapleStory”)

Have I mentioned how much I love loot crates? I JUST GOTTA HAVE EM

Geez those are eye-opening numbers. Even PUBG would only reach 4th place in such a table.

The difference between League of Legends and DOTA 2, assuming they have a similar size playerbase (?), goes to show that MOBA makers should paywall characters if they want to make megabux. That’s sad.

Here’s the mobile F2P chart. It’s not as high on the top as the PC F2P list, but every game on the list stays closer to the same revenue total.

They don’t have similar player bases. LOL has roughly 10x the active players (exact value depends on if you measure daily peak, daily actives, or monthly actives).

The truly terrifying thing about Dungeon Fighter Online’s continued dominance: that game is thirteen years old.

It’s a sobering reminder that no matter how much we think our gaming interests might matter, Asian gamers are still far more relevant.

Had no idea World of Tanks was so successful - generating more than twice as much as Heartstone, for instance.

It’s amazing how even the “premium PC games” list has a lot of games that are 3-6 years old, like Counterstrike GO, Guild Wars 2, GTAV and even older Minecraft.

Nice spot on noticing Counterstrike GO. I missed that completely somehow. I had no idea Counterstrike was still so popular. And that money is just in game sales? Or does Counterstrike Go have ways of making money through in-game purchases?

Weapon skins all day long, isn’t it? With crates and keys and steam marketplace transaction fees.

I know, right? We’re getting old and that chart isn’t helping any.

Have I mentioned recently how glad I am to not be a PC gaming editor any more? Because noooooooooooope.

My interests still matter the most to me.

Fortunately there will always be creators who prefer the psychological gratification of making the games they want to make rather than chasing after a billion dollars. So I’ll always have something at least.