2017 SuperData PC Games Sales Review

What’s scary is that I first played Counterstrike about 18 years ago. That game has legs.

Primarily due to Asia. First-mover network effect right there. I suspect they are considerably more even in the West (and I think CIS definitely prefers DOTA). Though this is speculation is without much data.

As PUBG also shows, asia is big.

McDonald’s is vastly more popular and profitable than the Italian neighborhood place you eat at once or twice a week. The food doesn’t taste as good, but it has its place; maybe you’re in a hurry, or you just want some fries. The gaming market has grown over the years. There’s plenty of room for niche games these days-- but as time goes on, you increasingly won’t see games that won’t make a billion dollars a year from behemoths like EA, Ubisoft, and Activision any more.

This can’t be true, or they have some key gaps in their coverage. DotA hats must be way, way more than $67m. I mean, just the Compendium for the International raised about that much.

The DotA 2 number is over 400 million, right? You’re saying it should be even higher?

Oh, my bad, I didn’t see they broke out F2P

This mobile games chart certainly explains how they can afford to advertise during really expensive slots like the Super Bowl so frequently. You don’t see regular games being advertised during those events, only mobile games.

I kind of wonder where World of Warcraft would fall on this list. The subscription model is the only reason I can possibly see it being excluded from the list. Even if it averaged a measly 1m subscribers, didn’t charge for in-game services and gave away the expansion for free it would have $180m revenue, and news sites were reporting it went back over 10m subs at the last expansion launch. Between monthly subscriptions, expansion sales, and in-game sales of level boosts, character transfers and cosmetics, I’d actually be a bit surprised if revenue wasn’t closer to $1b.

Yeah, WoW is a weird one due to it’s pricing. It’s premium, but you can play up to 20 or whatever for free, but there’s also a subscription.

Sub games aren’t included as premium games apparently. Its also counts out Final Fantasy and ESO.

Hah, I was thinking a similar thought about Maple Story.

Yeah, MapleStory is even older - I was playing the English beta for that back in 2004. It’s not making $1.6B a year, though.

No, but it’s kind of crazy that it is still out-earning Hearthstone.