2017: Whither Democrats?

I disagree. I don’t much like their underlying assumptions, which have the usual far-right “personal responsibility” foundation that doesn’t take into account the real world situations that exist because of decades of racism, misogyny, and all sorts of discrimination. But they also tend to stand up to big money and corporate influence, and want to reform political processes that have become warped over the years. I may not agree with their foundational beliefs but they do tend to stick to them.

I know this largely because my own representative is Justin Amash, who I never voted for due to those fundamental disagreements mentioned above, but I’ve done my research into how he conducts his business as a representative. Very little in the way of big-donor dark money, lots of votes against privacy invasions and such, no support for corporate welfare, constantly pushing back against House leadership when they aren’t following their own rules or overstepping constitutional bounds.

The Freedom Caucus isn’t great by any means and I can’t imagine I’d vote for any of them, but I think calling them “trash” is going too far. We should reserve that label (and worse) for those in the pockets of their donors, the abusers and harassers, and the outright racists. (Some of whom might be in the Freedom Caucus, I know, but it’s certainly not the whole group.)