2017: Whither Democrats?

Apparently so.

There’s probably legal action that could be taken, but the process would take long enough that it’d be butting up against the election anyway.

Wow. I’d say “My lobbyists will give you $5 million to let me have sex with you so you can carry my child.” is maybe just a tiny order of magnitude higher on the Awkward Sexual Harassment Chart than “he squeezed my ass during a photo”. I mean, both are harassment, and both are not cool at all, but holy shit, the Republicans just have to WIN at everything don’t they?

Are you sick of winning yet?

Uh huh. Yeah…

Making bad art come to life the new GOP motto.

Multiple reports from Minnesota tonight that tomorrow morning Lt. Governor Tina Smith will be named to replace Al Franken in the Senate.

Wasn’t sure where to put this, but this is a very sweet moment.

Joe Biden seems like such a good dude. Given that he’s spent a lifetime in politics/Washington, I think that’s nothing short of remarkable.

I think that if he ran in this climate, we’d get some #MeToos that would likely be justified…which is why I sort of hope he decides to enjoy his retirement.

Yep, totally agree with you there.

I’ve told everyone I know my personal experiences with the guy, and he’s one of the few 100% genuine people in DC. That’s not to say he doesn’t operate with guile, but he really is the person people see.

But as Triggercut suggests, retirement is his best option.

(Tweet includes picture about how the MN GOP called Smith’s appointment to Franken’s seat a “dirty, House-of-Cards-like move.”
https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/940995650728099842

I didn’t know about some of the ramifications of this. The president of the Senate is supposed to now get elevated to be the new Lt Gov. But the MN GOP’s problem with that is that the MN Senate Prez is a Republican when the GOP only has a narrow hold over the Senate…they don’t have votes to lose.

Now, as you may have heard, the question will be thrown to the MN AG to see if she can hold two positions at the same time (Lt. Gov and State Senator) or if she’s forced into a promotion.

Interesting times.

More details: https://www.mprnews.org/story/2017/12/13/minnesota-tina-smith-replacing-franken-senate-run-2018

Ellison won’t challenge Lee in the primary.

Just on a side note, but San Francisco mayor Ed Lee died suddenly of a heart attack early Tuesday. First Chinese-American mayor of a city that has a rich Asian-American heritage.

You are probably right, but have to believe that many Americans will be desperate for a politician with decency, that might counteract the #metoo allegations (depending on the severity of course).

Lindsay Graham describe Joe Biden, the same way

This is the Lindsay Graham, I want to see return to the Senate.

Pretty sure that Graham is gone. Trump’s people have something on him, it’s damned near the only thing that adds up anymore.

I’d guess a primary challenge but he isn’t up until 2020, so I am still baffled. Maybe SecDef after Mattis leaves.