2017: Whither Democrats?

It’s weird with Lindsey. One week he sounds lucid and like a sharp-tongued conservative Republican who is angry with what’s being done to his party…

…and then the next, it’s like Josh Marshall described this week, as if Trump has kidnapped his pet bunny.

He stopped saying anything bad about Trump around mid-November and hasn’t done it since that I’m aware of.

Well to be fair, that pretty much describes most of us here. All this winning is hard to complain about.

Well, then he started saying nice things and ended up shilling for his golf course.

I had to click on the guy’s Twitter to figure out the context.

Even money it was a Dem or a GOP’er crowing about people enthused/panicked about the results of the AL election.

I do like “IronStache” as a username.

On to Pennsylvania’s 18th CD. Conor Lamb sounds like a viable candidate. I hope he as much presents reasons to vote for him as he presents reasons to vote against Trump.

FYI, at midnight tonight, prospective campaigns across the country hit an important deadline in declaring their funds raised in Q4 2017, and also the number of donors.

This is very important, because the DCCC and local and state campaign committees will use these numbers to figure out where to spend.

And it is absolutely true: the coffers of the DCCC and DSCC are overflowing. The coffers of many individual candidates and challengers are as well.

Still: if you’re still a little on board with the Democrats, and you want to see them take things back in 2018, even a dollar or two to candidates like Jess Phoenix (the vulcanologist who’s challenging Steve Knight’s seat in California) or Randy Bryce (“Ironstache”, who’s challenging Paul Ryan’s seat) will do some good, because it registers you as a unique donor.

I just distributed some of my own good fortune in 2017 across a whole bunch of candidates before heading out for the New Year. Here’s to holding some folks accountable in 2018!

On that note:

Great point, trigger. Done.

Haw haw, you had good fortune in 2017.

You talked me into it.

I got a check last week for a little over $300 that I wasn’t expecting, and kind of planned to blow on board games that I’d probably never play. So, some Democratic Senate candidates got that money instead.

And again, even just a dollar or two is cool, because the number of unique donors is something that the DCCC looks at. It’s something PACs look at. “Hey, this person is connecting with a lot of people…”

So maybe Texas isn’t quite that purple yet.

What kind of name is Beto?

No shit, that was my maternal grandfather’s nickname (that whole side is the family goes by nicknames so regularly I don’t even know most of their actual names). Then again he was a philandering piece of shit with at least one and probably two secret families. Yay stories.

Just saying, only 32% of likely voters knew who the guy was… and he’s only down 18 points.

So Beto is a nickname? Is it short for something?

He can join Reince on my “That’s Not a Real Name” list.

It’s typically short for “Roberto”. O’Rourke is “Robert” originally, so apparently down in Texas he was referred to as Beto, and it stuck.